Old 18-12-2010, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Where is everyone?

Hello,

Haven't received any messages on urg today, nor on some other, but not
all, newgroups. Is this just Demon or is it more widespread?

David
http://rance.org.uk

Old 18-12-2010, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 17:17:39 +0000, David Rance
wrote:

Hello,

Haven't received any messages on urg today, nor on some other, but not
all, newgroups. Is this just Demon or is it more widespread?

David

A few of us are here though not very busy on the group today - people
probably getting bored with talking about the funny white stuff that's
accumulating on the ground everywhere.

I'm hoping things improve a bit in the next couple of days. We'll run
out of carrots after lunch tomorrow (Sunday) so I need to (gasp!) go
and buy some. Plenty of sprouts though!!!!
Old 18-12-2010, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
David Rance wrote:

Hello,

Haven't received any messages on urg today, nor on some other, but not
all, newgroups. Is this just Demon or is it more widespread?

David

There has been a problem with Demon and Virgin lately, they
apparently use the same news service.
I am not sure if it has been resolved but I think the problem was
on their server.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Old 18-12-2010, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hello,

Haven't received any messages on urg today, nor on some other, but not
all, newgroups. Is this just Demon or is it more widespread?

David

A few of us are here though not very busy on the group today - people
probably getting bored with talking about the funny white stuff that's
accumulating on the ground everywhere.

I'm hoping things improve a bit in the next couple of days. We'll run
out of carrots after lunch tomorrow (Sunday) so I need to (gasp!) go
and buy some. Plenty of sprouts though!!!!

Should your outlet for Carrots be Morrison's, look at the small print on the
bags of carrots :-((

They vary by a fantastic amount. You need to look at the price per Kilo
which is in small black print on the bags or on the trays holding them..

BTW, two packets of Chocolate Digestive Biscuits, are cheaper than the
'Bargain Double Pack' :-((

Price per kilo. Price per Litre on the wines. ..... Live by it ;-))

Mike

Old 18-12-2010, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 18:28:03 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

There's no Morrisons near us. Wouldn't use them anyway. Gotta be
honest, though, if I go out to shop I'll probably buy frozen (in
quantity). I've bought veg before in the local supermarket and it
doesn't last more than a day or two. You can't beat your own stuff.

I'll try my local small veg shop first though, if they're open!

Whenever I go shopping in a supermeerkat, I always look around the
shelf I'm picking something from. There's usually a cheaper
alternative, like buy 200g of coffee for £5 or buy 100g for £2 and get
one free.

Old 18-12-2010, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 18:28:03 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Then there is the 'special deal' put out by market stall holders .... "£1.50
each, 3 for £5.00"

:-((

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 18-12-2010, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:07:36 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

When I was young (in pre-decimal days) I used to sell raffle tickets
(in those days you didn't need all the stuff printed on them - you
could use so-called cloakroom tickets) at community events at 6d
(that's old d) each or a special offer of 5 for 2 and 6. I used to
sell multiples of 5 like anything. All you've got to say is "special
offer"!

Now work it out. Which of the following is the better offer:

1) a slab of 24 x 500ml cans of lager for £15.99
2) 3 boxes each of 10X440ml cans of lager for £20.00

On offer in the same shop which, the owner told me, is selling more of
the "3 box" offers than of the 24 can slabs. They have to offer the 3
box offer as they belong to one of those "associations" and are
obliged to offer whatever in addition to their own offers.

Happy Christmas

Jake

Old 18-12-2010, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:07:36 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 18:28:03 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

You still can use cloakroom tickets. I use them by the 1000's at reunions
and now I am involved with the theatre, I use them there. Nearly all Masonic
Lodges do the same thing. Certainly those on the Isle of Wight do and my
Lodge in Birmingham does. I buy them in packs of 6 books of a 1000 tickets
at the Cash and Carry :-)

Raised 1000's of pounds

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 18-12-2010, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:32:37 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 18:28:03 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

I think it's ok if the tickets are sold to a "captive audience", i.e.
everyone is at an event and the draw will be made before they leave.
If you sell tickets outside such a "captive audience" situation,
there's a process to go through (register with local authority and
then print wads of info on every ticket). Pain in the proverbials if
you simply want to raise money for a decent local cause.
Old 18-12-2010, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hello,

Haven't received any messages on urg today, nor on some other, but not
all, newgroups. Is this just Demon or is it more widespread?

David

A few of us are here though not very busy on the group today - people
probably getting bored with talking about the funny white stuff that's
accumulating on the ground everywhere.

I'm hoping things improve a bit in the next couple of days. We'll run
out of carrots after lunch tomorrow (Sunday) so I need to (gasp!) go
and buy some. Plenty of sprouts though!!!!

Evidence of panic buying in our local TESCO today. I was out of bacon and
getting short of bread
I went tobuy a pack of bacon and a loaf of wholemeal bread. Plenty of bacon
there but not a crumb of bread neither from the bakery there nor the
propriatory brands. There were a few bread rolls (literally a few) and that
was it.

Bill

Old 19-12-2010, 07:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

There's no Morrisons near us. Wouldn't use them anyway.

I've been a Sainsbury's man for years. Then we moved and the nearest
supermarket is Morrison's by several miles. We moved about the time
Morrison's took over Safeway and for the first year or so it was a mess.
But, either I've got used to them or they've got their act together.

My choice is :

Morrison's 6 miles
Morrison's, Tesco or Asda 12 miles
Sainsbury's or Asda 15 miles
Tesco 9 miles
Sainsbury's 13 miles
Sainsbury's 12 miles
Waitrose 13 miles but I have to drive past Morrison's to get there.

or

the local village with 2 butchers (1 also sells veg), 2 bakers, a tiny co-op
and an independent grocer with a deli counter.

Old 19-12-2010, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:32:37 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:07:36 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

news:ajupg6dqep8sbk9nctrsp3td8kbh1jka56@4ax. com...
wrote:

[...]

Quite correct, so I don't do the printing of tickets etc and go outside the
event.

Put a Dinner dance/reunion/show/fete/stand etc on and sell the tickets
there. Also by doing that, you have the profit from the function itself :-))

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 19-12-2010, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
There's no Morrisons near us. Wouldn't use them anyway.

I've been a Sainsbury's man for years. Then we moved and the nearest
supermarket is Morrison's by several miles. We moved about the time
Morrison's took over Safeway and for the first year or so it was a mess.
But, either I've got used to them or they've got their act together.

My choice is :

Morrison's 6 miles
Morrison's, Tesco or Asda 12 miles
Sainsbury's or Asda 15 miles
Tesco 9 miles
Sainsbury's 13 miles
Sainsbury's 12 miles
Waitrose 13 miles but I have to drive past Morrison's to get there.

or

the local village with 2 butchers (1 also sells veg), 2 bakers, a tiny
co-op and an independent grocer with a deli counter.

Morrison's have got their act together. When they first took over our local
branch of Safeway, they cleared the shelves of the propriety named brands
and put their own on. People were looking and asking for their usual goods
and were told 'We don't stock that now'. Gangways were blocked with people
talking to each other complaining and leaving their trolleys there and
announcing that this place is now rubbish and 'I am off to Tescos'

It didn't take long for Morrison's to put the popular stuff back on the
shelves :-)

I understand there is a meeting on January 5th about extending the store it
is now so popular :-)

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 19-12-2010, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 David Rance wrote:

I am deliberately top-posting in order to draw attention to the fact
that my message starting this thread has obviously got through and had
many replies - but I haven't seen them! I didn't even get a copy of my
original message. I had no messages at all on urg yesterday and only
three this morning, two from Bob Hobden and this one from Mike, so
something is obviously wrong. The only newsgroup on which I received
messages yesterday was uk.telecom.mobile. All the rest were as dead as
this one.

This one came back to me along with another from Mike. But that's all.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 19-12-2010, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've just looked at this thread on Google groups and discover that there
are sixteen replies, but after about the third reply it seems to go off
on a completely different thread about Morrisons with no logical reason!

Stephen from Hull: thanks for the info about Demon and Virgin (who both
use Highwinds). I have seen complaints about them for the last two or
three weeks (first no messages and then thousands of them!) but it's the
first time it has affected me - and it's still obviously not right.

David

http://rance.org.uk