Old 10-01-2011, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Central Heating failure

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

"Martin" wrote in message
On 10 Jan 2011 09:38:55 GMT, wrote:

Martin wrote:
Do you live near the sea?

No. :-( Used to, and would love to again, but not currently.

One thing we didn't take into account 30 years ago, was how long it would
take
to get to our boat nowadays, although it is motorway for most of the
route.
Long gone are the days, when we could do the 60 mile trip in under an
hour.
The other thing we didn't allow for is how boring it is for children to
spend a
weekend on a boat. Somebody did copy us an article "Children on boats are
little
prisoners." It was OK until they were about 10 when they mutinied.
--

Martin

Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
Do you live near the sea?

No. :-( Used to, and would love to again, but not currently.

One thing we didn't take into account 30 years ago, was how long it would
take
to get to our boat nowadays, although it is motorway for most of the
route.
Long gone are the days, when we could do the 60 mile trip in under an
hour.
The other thing we didn't allow for is how boring it is for children to
spend a
weekend on a boat. Somebody did copy us an article "Children on boats are
little
prisoners." It was OK until they were about 10 when they mutinied.
--

Martin

One of the problems I had when I had a boat, was the tides. Access to the
harbour at lower water levels :-((

Another problem with having your own boat and a mooring 'near you' is that
you are restricted as to where you can go without cruising over the same
water every time. For this reason I have contemplated a Narrow Boat on the
canals. Move the boat over a weekend/week/fortnight/month to new vistas all
the time. And there are a terrific amount of canals open now :-))))

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 10-01-2011, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
A couple we knew had two pre-schoolers when the chap just had to have a
boat, just a teensy tiny one. It was so teensy tiny it couldn't take all
four of them; and he was the kind of hands-off father who didn't mind
his own children all by himself on land let alone in a small open boat.
So, the promised life-enhancing adventure consisted of wife and both
children waiting around on shore while he messed about in the boat. She
was not amused.

Janet. No-one has truly depressed me as much as you have with this post.
:-(
Old 10-01-2011, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Janet wrote:
A couple we knew had two pre-schoolers when the chap just had to have a
boat, just a teensy tiny one. It was so teensy tiny it couldn't take all
four of them; and he was the kind of hands-off father who didn't mind
his own children all by himself on land let alone in a small open boat.
So, the promised life-enhancing adventure consisted of wife and both
children waiting around on shore while he messed about in the boat. She
was not amused.

Janet. No-one has truly depressed me as much as you have with this post.
:-(

I would be very interested to know how long ago this was and if they are
still 'a unit of four' :-((

We are a very very close family and always have been. Four children, the
eldest now turned Fifty and all have the parents they were born to. My wife
can add up on her clenched fist how many husbands she has had, just as I can
add up the same for wives.

How many readers of this newsgroup can say that?

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=UI8UK7XD meet the family. A "ONE" Unit

No I feel that the "family" in the story are well on the way to being
'shipwrecked' if they are not already on the rocks.

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive