Old 08-01-2011, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The spring is sprung?

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 15:11:11 GMT, Baz wrote:

12 and a half p!
My goodness, how times have changed.
What was the average wage in those days?

Donno but the 3 bed 1930 semi that I was born in was bought by me Mam
and Dad for, IIRC, £2,600 in 1953.

My gross annual salary when I started work in 1978 was £2,500 and
that was a good wage for a 6th form leaver.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I was talking to my aunt today after reading this thread and she said
exactly what you say about property prices
She also said they were the happiest of days, everyone had a job and if
you forgot to lock your door so what, nobody was going to rob you (or
worse).

£2,500 is £50 a week or £208 per month. Add at least a 0 to that today!

I always thought that 6th formers went on to university, especially so in
your day when an 'A' level actually meant something. Did you just want to
earn some money though as most teenagers would? I'm not being cheeky or
sarky.

Baz

Old 08-01-2011, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 8, 6:34*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 15:11:11 GMT, Baz wrote:
12 and a half p!
My goodness, how times have changed.
What was the average wage in those days?

Donno but the 3 bed 1930 semi that I was born in was bought by me Mam
and Dad for, IIRC, £2,600 in 1953.

My gross annual salary when I started work in 1978 was £2,500 and
that was a good wage for a 6th form leaver.

--
Cheers
Dave.

When I left school my first job was on a farm outside Henley, lived in
and got paid £3.00 a week, no overtime no matter how long you worked,
and had to start milking at 6am
That was1959
David
Old 08-01-2011, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 19:27:30 GMT, Baz wrote:

She also said they were the happiest of days, everyone had a job and if
you forgot to lock your door so what, nobody was going to rob you (or
worse).

I think there may be a bit of rose tint there but certainly there was
much less dog eat dog and much more community spirit. Seems strange
that over the recent bad weather that people have been moaning about
uncleared pavements or roads. 50 years ago everyone would have been
out with their shovels and at the very least cleared the section in
front of their property. For those that couldn't clear it for
themselves, a neighbour would.

£2,500 is £50 a week or £208 per month. Add at least a 0 to that today!

Yep, average UK wage is around £24,000 these days.

I always thought that 6th formers went on to university, especially so
in your day when an 'A' level actually meant something.

There was quite a bit of pressure to go to university, of my year I
was probably one of the two or three that didn't. Can't remember how
many in the year, somewhere between fifty and a hundred, it's all
rather a long time ago now. B-)

Did you just want to earn some money though as most teenagers would?

Maybe but I decided that I probably wouldn't work hard enough at uni
and would "waste" three years in the bar... The BBC took me on as a
trainee, if they hadn't there was a fall back with the GPO or I might
have gone into high power distribution engineering which may well
have pushed me to university or an apprenticeship, though they were
few and far between then, "day release" was the buzz word.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
[...]

Only about 5% of young people went to university in the those days
-which is how the nation could afford to pay, combined with a basic
income tax rate of 30%+ which is a higher marginal tax rate than current
graduates on student loans actually pay.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

Old 08-01-2011, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

hugh ] wrote in :

Only about 5% of young people went to university in the those days
-which is how the nation could afford to pay, combined with a basic
income tax rate of 30%+ which is a higher marginal tax rate than current
graduates on student loans actually pay.

Yes, I hear you.
Are we paying the price now for that? By that I mean the 5% of the educated
are making legislation now.
If you follow what I mean.

Baz
Old 08-01-2011, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 18:29:37 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

On 2011-01-08 15:17:27 +0000, Baz said:
snip
Talking of trial mating, now wheres the missus......Oh headache:-(

Baz

Can you blame her - if it's only a trial?? ;-))

She remembers the tribulations after the last sheep dog trial.

Very good. But how did you get to know? Hehe

sheepish grin

Oh. It was you was it.
sheepisher grin

On 2011-01-08 15:17:27 +0000, Baz said:
snip
Talking of trial mating, now wheres the missus......Oh headache:-(

Baz

Can you blame her - if it's only a trial?? ;-))

She remembers the tribulations after the last sheep dog trial.

Very good. But how did you get to know? Hehe

sheepish grin

Oh. It was you was it.
sheepisher grin

No need to ram it home.

Bet you are piles of joy.
(sorry but thats all i have)
Piles of it
Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Joan Edington
writes
EEk. I've just got back from the shops here having slipped over twice on
the ice. My other half's too stingy to pay for a barber so I have to cut
his
hair. I save it all in bags and put it out for the nesting birds in the
Spring. Too early for that here by far.

Joan

Here's a product which might be of interest. I've bought a pair but must
confess I haven't tried them yet in anger I tend t wear walking boos in
winter which are good on ice.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Grip-Eve...dium/dp/B002LW
DCCS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294431270&sr=8-2

Alternatively go to Amazon and search on ice grabbers. There are several
types available.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

I bought a packet of tungsten spikes meant for a fisherman's waders. The
come with a tool to screw them into the soles of your boots.

There aproximately 24 in the packet. They's fine if you have a decent
thickness of sole to your boots. They cost £10 which is cheaper than most
ice-grabbers or Magic Spikers.
They certainly give more confidence to walk on icy roads and are well worth
the investment.

Bill

spring has sprung! culprit Gardening 4 06-02-2005 05:33 PM
Spring has sprung... Grandpa Edible Gardening 11 24-02-2004 04:14 AM
Spring has sprung... Grandpa Gardening 13 24-02-2004 04:12 AM
Spring is sprung Part 2 martin United Kingdom 8 17-02-2004 01:51 PM
Spring has Sprung!! Brian Gardening 21 21-01-2004 11:32 PM