Old 18-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Brian

Default Spring has Sprung!!

In the UK this has been an exceptionally mild winter and feel so sorry for
those of you in the US with such freezing weather.
Locally [Cornwall SW] we had 250 out-of-season species flowering on New
Year's day [figures from local paper] not counting those remaining from last
year~~ Roses,fuchsias, chrysanthemums, cyclamens and lilies etc. Roadsides
have miles of full flowering gorse.
All of the UK is well above the 50 degree latitude and without the Gulf
Stream would be similar to mid Canada~~ though without Polar Bears!
I hope your Spring is not too far away.
Best Wishes.

Old 18-01-2004, 04:02 PM
HA HA Budys Here

Why don't you just go straight to heck?

=:-)

Freezing & snowing in NY and no end in sight...
Old 19-01-2004, 01:06 AM
D Kat

Please KNOCK ON WOOD NOW! With global warming what you get is more extremes
in weather (which most people don't seem to understand for some odd reason)
which means you could easily get the same weather we are having next week.
I believe it was 54 degrees here a couple of weeks ago... I was off in CA
visiting family so I can't say from my own experience. I'm now sitting by
my little space heater watching the snow fall. At least it has warmed up
and the winding isn't howling today.

DKat

Old 19-01-2004, 01:25 AM
Ann

"Brian" expounded:

In the UK this has been an exceptionally mild winter and feel so sorry for
those of you in the US with such freezing weather.
Locally [Cornwall SW] we had 250 out-of-season species flowering on New
Year's day [figures from local paper] not counting those remaining from last
year~~ Roses,fuchsias, chrysanthemums, cyclamens and lilies etc. Roadsides
have miles of full flowering gorse.
All of the UK is well above the 50 degree latitude and without the Gulf
Stream would be similar to mid Canada~~ though without Polar Bears!
I hope your Spring is not too far away.
Best Wishes.

Ah, Cornwall, I would love to go back. So peaceful and serene, I
really fell in love with the place. A gardener's paradise!

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 19-01-2004, 03:16 AM
Java Michael

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
Why don't you just go straight to heck?

Is it warmer than Montreal?

Old 19-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Salty Thumb

"D Kat" wrote in
t:

Please KNOCK ON WOOD NOW! With global warming what you get is more
extremes in weather (which most people don't seem to understand for
some odd reason) which means you could easily get the same weather we

Well, duh! It's called "global warming", not "global warming except when
it is cold, and man, is it gonna be COLD ... unless you live in an area
where water moderates the climate, in which case the weather will be
strange but not too extreme, but still strange enough that if you've been
around long enough that you start to think something is seriously abnormal,
but if you haven't then you just think well, this is kind of weird, but not
as weird as the boss will be if I don't get to the sprocket factory on time
....."

Old 19-01-2004, 11:21 PM
D Kat

I'll try this again (I should write a book called "Global Warming for
DUMMIES"... I don't mean that as an insult by the by).

Most of the earth is covered in water. The oceans and great lakes are heat
sinks and it is the large bodies of water that drive our weather. For all
practical purposes ALL of our weather. If you have heard of El Nino
(unusual weather for the year because part of the Pacific is warmer than
usual), think of it in those terms only think SUPER El Nino that never ends.
The last ice age occurred because of just a 5-9 degree weather change.
Having your yearly average temperature drop only a few digress is not going
to give you massive glaciers if all you're talking about is the earth's air
temperature dropping a few degrees. It is the change in the oceans that
change the climate. What keeps the West coast so much warmer than the East
coast is the pattern of the ocean's currents. The storms we get are from
high and low pressure, water in the atmosphere, etc. - all of which come
from the ocean. Scientist from several different fields (geology,
paleontology, biology, etc.) all concur that the earth is warming at a
faster rate than seen before and that it is due to man's production of
chemicals that he is putting in the air. At this point you are not seeing
anyone disagree with the data or the theory (none that have gone through
peer review that is.... those papers are all most all coming from the
industries that will be hurt if we ever get the balls to put things right or
by nuts that say the earth is flat).

I have no vested interest in supporting the theory. I in fact don't care
much that it is happening. Life in geological time frame will do just fine.
For humans it will mean more disease of the tropical form, plants and
animals will go extinct which is already happening at the fastest rate since
Dinosaurs because we are destroying their habitat, we will more than likely
have to give up eating meat (I already have), etc. I will find it sad to
see animal types disappear but others will take their place..... they just
may be all of the cockroach, rat, tumbleweed, etc. variety (those that
thrive under adverse conditions..)

Yeah... we need spring soon before I continue with these long winded
monologs....

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
"D Kat" wrote in
t:

Please KNOCK ON WOOD NOW! With global warming what you get is more
extremes in weather (which most people don't seem to understand for
some odd reason) which means you could easily get the same weather we

Well, duh! It's called "global warming", not "global warming except when
it is cold, and man, is it gonna be COLD ... unless you live in an area
where water moderates the climate, in which case the weather will be
strange but not too extreme, but still strange enough that if you've been
around long enough that you start to think something is seriously

abnormal,
but if you haven't then you just think well, this is kind of weird, but

not
as weird as the boss will be if I don't get to the sprocket factory on

time
...."

Old 20-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Salty Thumb

"D Kat" wrote in
et:

[...]

Well most of what you said sounds reasonable, but I guess my point about
water is probably more or less your point without the geologic scale.
I'm guessing the ridiculously high specific heat of water will moderate
the temperature extremes of any local climate a lot better and therefore
someone (like me) who lives in a coastal region is more likely (but not
like me) to say "global warming? what global warming" even though the
weather is nutty, but because of the moderating effect of the ocean, not
as nutty as it could be.

The only things I would disagree with are, it's not just the pumping up
of CO2 and other chems, that are screwing things up, it's also the
deforestation. I imagine forests not only act as a significant heat sink
on land but also have the added benefit of locking away any excess CO2
and maybe even some chemicals.

The other thing is why the west coast is warmer. Maybe the ocean
currents have something to do with it (and the larger surface area of the
Pacific), but having the Rocky Mountains to block warm ocean air from
moving east has got to have some effect, too.
Old 20-01-2004, 01:32 AM
J Kolenovsky

Salty Thumb wrote:
=

=

[...]

They do, sprocket master. Carbon sequestration into soil and bio-mass
can reduce it from the atmoshere and alleviate warming in addition to
other factors. Why can't we convince the profiteers that?

=

The other thing is why the west coast is warmer. Maybe the ocean
currents have something to do with it (and the larger surface area of t=

he
Pacific), but having the Rocky Mountains to block warm ocean air from
moving east has got to have some effect, too.

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 20-01-2004, 03:48 AM
Salty Thumb

J Kolenovsky wrote in
:

They do, sprocket master. Carbon sequestration into soil and bio-mass
can reduce it from the atmoshere and alleviate warming in addition to
other factors. Why can't we convince the profiteers that?

haha, I think you answered your own question. Repeat what you just wrote
to your average Captain of Industry and observe as he stares blankly at you
for several minutes before suddenly announcing he's late for his fund
raising luncheon with Senator Bling-blang.

Anyway, I think it took the Civil War and thousands of soldiers crapping
into rivers for people to figure out indoor plumbing is a good thing.
Unfortunately, global warming doesn't have such a clearly defined cause-
effect. Not as clear as "doody water + you downstream = cholera = bad"
anyway.
Old 20-01-2004, 04:03 AM
Salty Thumb

J Kolenovsky wrote in
:

They do, sprocket master. Carbon sequestration into soil and bio-mass
can reduce it from the atmoshere and alleviate warming in addition to
other factors. Why can't we convince the profiteers that?

haha, I think you answered your own question. Repeat what you just wrote
to your average Captain of Industry and observe as he stares blankly at you
for several minutes before suddenly announcing he's late for his fund
raising luncheon with Senator Bling-blang.

Anyway, I think it took the Civil War and thousands of soldiers crapping
into rivers for people to figure out indoor plumbing is a good thing.
Unfortunately, global warming doesn't have such a clearly defined cause-
effect. Not as clear as "doody water + you downstream = cholera = bad"
anyway.

[IMG] code is On

Spring has sprung?! Sacha United Kingdom 8 09-10-2006 09:05 PM
spring has sprung! culprit Gardening 4 06-02-2005 05:33 PM
Spring has sprung... Grandpa Edible Gardening 11 24-02-2004 04:14 AM
Spring has sprung... Grandpa Gardening 13 24-02-2004 04:12 AM