Old 13-01-2011, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Toby Buckland speaks of Gardeners' World pain

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:

It would appear you are all tooooooooooooooooooooooo young to remember
Bruce
Forsyth coming on stage, looking out into the audience, sticking a thumb
up
and with a sweeping movement of his arm left to right say 'Swinging' with
that grin on his face ;-}

I think you will find that it was Norman Vaughan, who followed in
Bruce Forsyth's footsteps on "Sunday Night at the London
Palladium", who used that catch phrase.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh

Thanks Chris.

I was laying in bed this morning and it suddenly came to me who it was. You
have confirmed it. Thank you.

Put it down to old age ;-(

Question. ............................... How old is 'Old' what is 'Old
Age'?

My parents were 'old' when I was young. They both died a lot younger than I
am now, so ............................. ;-}

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 13-01-2011, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Martin wrote:

We rarely recognise any of the "celebrities" on TV programmes. We
haven't even heard their names before.

Same here. Mainly, I think, becasue a fair few of them seem to be from
soaps, and we don't watch any.

--
Chris
Old 28-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Registered User

Location: SE England

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
I think there's a lot of truth in this (and I like Monty Don too). But I can understand the other side too. For example, there were a couple of articles in the Garden a year or so back about packets of mixed flower seeds. The general view, both of the original article and of the comments selected for publication, was that mixed packets are naff, that flowers look better in drifts of one colour, and that iff you want a variety, you should separate packets of the colours of your choice.

Well, that's all very fine in a large garden (and I agree with it entirely in that context). But if you have a pocket handkerchief garden, the situation is very different. I could make a very tasteful bed in a selection of two or three related tints. But that would be the only colour effect in my garden, and I would have a a lot of left over seeds from my two or three packets. If I get a mixed packet, then I look at every plant individually, and I can spend half an hour going round my garden rather than seeing it all in one glance.

I can almost hear the shudders from here as you all imagine a garish totally tasteless hotchpotch! But the point I'm making is that, although you can draw inspiration from anywhere, if your source of inspiration is always recommending to you things that are really only practicable in a much larger garden, you can start to feel "I don't really belong here".
These days, gardening is as susceptible to changes in fashion as clothes and interiors. Additionally, like it or not, in the UK at least, gardening is a class thing and social class snobberies are often disguised as taste.

As the owner of a small garden myself, I feel that its size forces me to evaluate plants more carefully, because each plant has to be worth the space it takes up. The lack of space means that I have to put more thought into using visual tricks to fade the boundaries and emphasise the plants, as well.

I like Gardeners' World because its entertaining
Old 28-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Registered User

[...]

I like Gardeners' World because its entertaining I don't really get much from it inspiration-wise.

I have purchased some hardy geraniums from a Mirror Reader Offer. The same plants from the same supplier, were available via more upmarket newspapers - at a higher price !

A Lidl leaflet dropped through my letterbox yesterday. From Thursday, Lidl will be selling several varieties of 'luxury orchids' for 9.99 each. So potted orchids which were only seen in House and Garden-type houses years ago can now be bought by people on benefits. I think that's good, myself.