Old 17-01-2011, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Concrete on wet ground

Would probably be better on a d.i.y group, but since it's in the garden and
for the greenhouse, I'm allowing myself to ask here. :-)

Nick is putting a concrete base under the greenhouse so he can build a small
wall and, basically, raise the greenhouse by a couple of feet.

Given the overnight rain and general soggyness today, will he be able to put
his concrete down tomorrow (foundations are dug, I believe to a sensible
depth), or will it somehow bugger it up?

It's already been delayed due to frostiness, but it's nice and warm now (as
my very confused garden can testify to) - could really do with having the
base set by the weekend so we can get the wall up!

Old 17-01-2011, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote...

Would probably be better on a d.i.y group, but since it's in the garden and
for the greenhouse, I'm allowing myself to ask here. :-)

Nick is putting a concrete base under the greenhouse so he can build a small
wall and, basically, raise the greenhouse by a couple of feet.

Given the overnight rain and general soggyness today, will he be able to put
his concrete down tomorrow (foundations are dug, I believe to a sensible
depth), or will it somehow bugger it up?

It's already been delayed due to frostiness, but it's nice and warm now (as
my very confused garden can testify to) - could really do with having the
base set by the weekend so we can get the wall up!

Provided the foundations are not flooded and also the wet concrete does not
get flooded it should be fine. There may be some leeching of cement into the
surrounding wet soil but it won't damage the end result.
Suggest laying the foundations and covering them with a plastic sheet.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-01-2011, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

stuart noble wrote:
Not bad conditions for concrete actually (warm and wet), but I'd cover
it with plastic sheeting for 24 hours.

Thank you, both (stuart + Nick).
COmments passed on, day off booked for tomorrow, I'll let you know how it
goes :-)
(probably on the allotment/gardening blog and post the link one day when it
eventually gets more than 1 post in it!)

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM