Old 22-01-2011, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Carol Klein

A friend tells me she read somewhere (Telegraph?) that Carol Klein has
had 2 hip replacements. In that case she does VERY well; heavy
digging, pushing a wheelbarrow up a compost heat, etc etc. She's a
good advert for her surgeon!

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-01-2011, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

We really enjoy her programme. She has such a good eye for colour and
form but without being all airy-fairy about it. It's such a relief to
watch *one* person doing what they're good at and explaining it easily,
as they go along.

I have to say that I have enjoyed these programmes more than I
had expected. Perhaps it is all down to different producers. If
she is allowed to perform naturally, she is fine, but I feel that
on GW (especially during 2009) or Chelsea, they seem to have
encouraged excessive animation. It isn't necessary.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 22-01-2011, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 22, 11:56*am, Pam Moore wrote:
A friend tells me she read somewhere (Telegraph?) that Carol Klein has
had 2 hip replacements. *In that case she does VERY well; heavy
digging, pushing a wheelbarrow up a compost heat, etc etc. *She's a
good advert for her surgeon!

Pam in Bristol

I don't believe any of these TV gardeners do much. They probably have
an army of flunkies.
Old 23-01-2011, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-22 19:07:13 +0000, Chris J Dixon said:

Sacha wrote:

We really enjoy her programme. She has such a good eye for colour and
form but without being all airy-fairy about it. It's such a relief to
watch *one* person doing what they're good at and explaining it easily,
as they go along.

I have to say that I have enjoyed these programmes more than I
had expected. Perhaps it is all down to different producers. If
she is allowed to perform naturally, she is fine, but I feel that
on GW (especially during 2009) or Chelsea, they seem to have
encouraged excessive animation. It isn't necessary.

Chris

Carol IS animated in an entirely natural way. She is just as she is in
the programme about her own garden. I am not claiming to know her
but I've met her with Ray, at a couple of shows and we've been to her
garden and chatted to her there several years ago. What you see really
is what you get, imo, In fact, watching the programme, I remarked to
Ray that the real woman was coming through. She's not bland, or
'considered' but she IS passionate and knowledgeable. I'm an amateur
gardener who happened to marry a nurseryman so I look at all these
things from two points of view, mine and my husband's. Both of us like
what she's doing in her own programme and I really can't say more than
that. I think it's one of the best programmes on gardening on tv at the
moment. I'm the amateur, Ray is the professional but I think it's
fair to say that we agree on that. In our own way, each of us is
critical of gardening programmes and to this day, I think we look at
them differently - and the same. I'm influenced by being married to a
professional but always I think as a 'normal' gardener, that has never
left me.

A year or so ago she spoke to the Bath Botanical Society. No notes no
slides, just straight, lively talking about her life and love of
gardening. She'sa real gardener.

Pam in Bristol
Old 23-01-2011, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-22 19:07:13 +0000, Chris J Dixon said:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

I find it interesting that she didn't use any slides or anything. Gardening
is such a 'picture oriented' subject that I would have thought she would
have 'illustrated' her talk with them.

I do talks, in fact I have spent nearly all this morning, preparing a talk I
am giving to the local WI next month about two of the Island's local
theatres and putting pictures up on a PowerPoint presentation.

http://www.apollo-theatre.org.uk/
http://www.shanklintheatre.com/
http://www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk/

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 23-01-2011, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
Yes, she is. And I agree with Chris's comment above that while she is
naturally animated, they 'bigged it up' for GW and it became a parody
and rather irritating. I suppose their idea was to create a
'personality' in the tv gardening world but imo, Carol Klein has enough
personality and comes over very well when able to just be herself,
talking about what she loves doing.

It makes me even more think it's the producers etc that need to change in GW
not the presenters.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-01-2011, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-22 19:07:13 +0000, Chris J Dixon said:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

Sacha

It seems that Carol has raised heckles on more than one occasion in
the trade. I'm not in the trade I hasten to add but I'm interested
because "the trade" at the end of the day influences us amateurs a
lot!

http://www.hortweek.com/news/1050202...-imports/?DCMP...

http://www.hortweek.com/channel/Gard...2917/Interview...

I'd

really be interested to hear, through you, Ray's view of the
message Carol is clearly trying to put over.

I've just caught the horse's mouth before it nodded off to sleep. *;-) *
He thinks she's doing a very good job and that she's getting over to
people that gardening doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. *
Some of this series is about using colour and design with plants as the
paintbrush. *BUT and this is crucial to him, Ray believes that people
talk, or write, best about their own gardens - better than anyone else
possibly can. *He says "think of Christopher Lloyd". *He could be
curmudgeonly but he talked and wrote about his own garden with a
near-religious passion and loads of people learned from him as a
result. *They learned about plants, colour and lay out, took what they
liked or needed, disregarded the rest. *But even while doing so, they
were *learning*. * Carol knows her garden better than anyone. *She
knows her vision for it, she knows it past and present and what she
hopes for the future. *Now - I hadn't really thought of this before but
it may be a key to how Monty Don handles GW in future. *That's going to
be filmed in his garden so whatever he does there, he has to live with,
it's going be as personal for him as this current series is for Carol,
even if the angle of attack is different. * So, if Ray's theory is
borne out, it should be a lot better and more interesting than 3 or 4
'heads' digging round in and talking about, a patch of land that has no
connection to them, personally. *And we have both always felt that a
good show garden is always more interesting if it has a house at the
heart of it. *To the British, I think gardens are an expression of
their personality and perhaps we're known as a nation of gardeners
because there IS a passionate love of the land and what can be created
working with it. *I don't think even the best celeb gardener can really
put over a passion for their subject if the piece of land they're
showing us has no emotional connection for them. *It's like trying to
get an interior designer make a tv audience believe that he really,
really loves this run-down classroom he's been asked to renovate!

FWIW, I think the days of the "garden centre", be it a self standing
one or part of the B&Q, Homebase or whatever chain, are coming to an
end and the time of the "nursery" is coming. I'm not "creeping"; it's
just that in talking to neighbours, friends and whoever the message is
coming across that if someone wants a real garden they need to avoid
those places that simply sell what's in bloom or what's "popular".

Some of those gc chains are in trouble and the chat is that some -
maybe several - will go under this year. *Ray called in at one about a
week or so ago (not part of a chain) - it was full of Christmas tat
being sold at 'knock down' prices but all that represents money tied up
in unsold stock. * What people just don't seem to get about some - not
all - gcs is that their prices are high and that's because there's huge
waste and high staffing and indeed vast amounts of money invested in
non-gardening stock. Plants that don't sell while in flower are, all
too often, thrown away. *The girlfriend of the manager of a local gc
used to work for us and with his full knowledge and permission, brought
us trays full of stuff they were going to throw out - perfectly good
plants, nothing wrong with them except that they have no flowers on
them. * Here, all perennials are potted on. *There's absolutely no
doubt plants sell faster when in flower but not all customers need to
see a flower before they buy a plant. *What's more - and this is the
case with all *real* nurseries - the staff know about the plants and
answer questions on them, spending as much time with the customer as
they need. *In too many gcs, staff don't know b from a bull's foot
about plants but are a wizard at pressing buttons on a till. * In terms
of price, obviously some people charge what the market will bear. *
Ray's son renovated and supervised the re-planting of my son's Jersey
garden last winter/spring. *A couple of gaps needed filling so his
gardener went to a local, Jersey gc. *I'm not exaggerating by one penny
when I tell you that Polygala dalmaisiana, which we had taken there,
cost �30 more at that Jersey gc - not �30, �30 MORE. * Ray was fit to
be tied because he *knows* what those plants cost us if we buy them in
so he knows profiteering when he sees it. *They all come from the same
or similar wholesalers. *Most of our stock is grown here by us but some
comes in and we know which wholesaler sells what and at what price!

Incidentally, while I'm at it, there was a discussion some time ago
about whether Carol had declined the GW chief presenter job or not. I
found the following link which, I think, answers the question:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...it-grass-ceili...

Cheers

Jake

Yes,

I remember reading that at the time. *There was some attempt initially
to make it appear that she'd never wanted the top job. Ironic that
right now the Beeb is being held up to scrutiny over alleged ageist
attitudes while Carol, who many feel she hit just that barrier, has
been given her own programme *and* she's doing it very, very well. *
Actually, there was a long article in the DM about ageist attitudes at
the Beeb by Peter Sissons recently and some people have protested at
Huw Edwards, rather than D Dimbleby, being given the job of
commentating on the forthcoming royal wedding. *Personally, I wonder if
the wedding will be legal if a Dimbleby isn't commentating on it. * ;-))

--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

I see too she does have a man that "does". As I suspected. Just
another TV fraud for the credulous.
Old 24-01-2011, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote in
:

A friend tells me she read somewhere (Telegraph?) that Carol Klein has
had 2 hip replacements.

Pam in Bristol

That would not surprise me.
I have noticed that she has arthritis in her hands, especially in her index
finger, noticed when she pokes a seed into a pot or whatever.
Painful.

Baz