Old 03-02-2011, 06:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment rents to rise 300%

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 21:24:05 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Kathy, please can you give me a brief description of your composting
toilet? Our committee were aghast when I suggested such a thing.
They are talking of the cost of installing a proper flushing toilet.
Then they suggested an Elsan type and someone asked who would clean
it. They still weren't convinced when I said the composting goilet
would not need much cleaning.

Composting toilets are fairly common in parts of Australia where there is
limited water.

Here is an Australian government site that gives some useful information:
http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/fs77.html
(You might have to find a committee member who has travelled and can rise
above making comments about convicts)

I am a committee member, but cannot convince the others!

A friend of mine was a neighbour of Adam Hart-Davis. he had a
straw-bale composting toilet in his back garden and encouraged male
visitors to use it. You pee on the straw and when the straw breaks
down you use the resulting compost and replace the bale. Solid waste
is more difficult!!!

Did I get it wrong? I thought it was Bob who was asking. But never mind.

Governments in any first world country are very nervous of the possibility
of the populace getting nasty poo borne diseases. For some reason they are
upset at the thought of any publicity that might result.

If you can prove to other committe members, that governments and shire
councils are not only willing to consider composting toilets but put
infomation up on web sites about it, you might start them thinking.
Composting loos aren't a do nothing solution as they do need attention but
they are rather like worm farms, once committed they become a fascinating to
their owners.

One built on site by the allotment holders from materials scavenged or made
will be cheap and they do work and work well from what I've been told.

I suspect though that you might have an uphill battle if they are overly
conventional.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

is more difficult!!! Sadly A H-D has moved to Devon so I can't get
her to ask him for me. Can't find anything that simple on Google. I
have been looking.
All I envisage is a few bales, with fencing round.

PS I've found an email address for A H-D and have contacted him,
Don't know whether it's still a current email.

Pam, I was down the lottie today and had a look at the loo - no committee
members in sight! Ours was made by NATSOL www.natsol.co.uk
Hope that helps. but it's def more up market than straw bales. I have a
feeling the council wouldn't have approved of that anyway. For what it's
worth, said council gave us a grant towards it from their 2010 Parks and
Amenities budget. We probably got in just in time.

--
Kathy

Old 04-02-2011, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

Pam, I was down the lottie today and had a look at the loo - no committee
members in sight! Ours was made by NATSOL www.natsol.co.uk
Hope that helps. but it's def more up market than straw bales. I have a
feeling the council wouldn't have approved of that anyway. For what it's
worth, said council gave us a grant towards it from their 2010 Parks and
Amenities budget. We probably got in just in time.

Have you got one of these from the companionship range, then ?

http://www.natsol.co.uk/images/workshop-loo.jpg

Regards
Pete
(:-)

Old 04-02-2011, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote
Pam, I was down the lottie today and had a look at the loo - no committee
members in sight! Ours was made by NATSOL www.natsol.co.uk
Hope that helps. but it's def more up market than straw bales. I have a
feeling the council wouldn't have approved of that anyway. For what it's
worth, said council gave us a grant towards it from their 2010 Parks and
Amenities budget. We probably got in just in time.

Have you got one of these from the companionship range, then ?

http://www.natsol.co.uk/images/workshop-loo.jpg

Ah! The Roman way. Sponges on sticks anyone?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 04-02-2011, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

Pam, I was down the lottie today and had a look at the loo - no committee
members in sight! Ours was made by NATSOL www.natsol.co.uk
Hope that helps. but it's def more up market than straw bales. I have a
feeling the council wouldn't have approved of that anyway. For what it's
worth, said council gave us a grant towards it from their 2010 Parks and
Amenities budget. We probably got in just in time.

Have you got one of these from the companionship range, then ?

http://www.natsol.co.uk/images/workshop-loo.jpg

Nope. Ours is this one
http://www.natsol.co.uk/products.html

--