Old 28-01-2011, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment rents to rise 300%

London Borough of Barnet, north London, plans to triple allotment rents
next year. This seems such a regressive, destructive action.
Is this happening across the country?

Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old 28-01-2011, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Paul" wrote in message
London Borough of Barnet, north London, plans to triple allotment rents
next year. This seems such a regressive, destructive action.
Is this happening across the country?

As I understand it, allotment rents vary quite a lot across the country -
I've seen a range of £8 pa to £80 pa, with the average being in the £20 to
£40 bracket.

But there does seem to be a trend of councils 'removing subsidies' and
increasing rents. There are discussion of this on www.allotments4all.co.uk
for example

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/...?topic=65069.0

where one poster reports that Nottingham are intending to increase by 20% pa
(from roughly £40 pa) for each of the next five years. Obviously that isn't
tripling the rent, but you can see which way the wind's blowing.

Old 28-01-2011, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:46:55 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

So what will you be paying and what do you get for it? We get nothing
other than the plot.

You bring water from home?
Old 28-01-2011, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:33:38 +0000, Paul
wrote:

London Borough of Barnet, north London, plans to triple allotment rents
next year. This seems such a regressive, destructive action.
Is this happening across the country?

Paul.

Ours have just gone up to £9 this year and will probably be going up
to £10 next year but we don't plan to increase any more for a while.
The increase is to cover extra water tanks.

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-01-2011, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Kathy McIntosh wrote:
We have a composting toilet, a "club house", a shop, a skip and running
water with a tank and standpipe every three plots. We pay ?32 a year, but
that may increase in April when this year's rent is due.

Ours hasn't gone up yet. It's about 30-something for a whole allotment, we
have no toilets or antyhing posh like that, but we do have several water
taps (hoses are allowed to fill water butts, not to water with, if that
makes sense - it doesn't really to me!), and we get an occasional delivery
of poo from the local Pets' Corner.

Old 31-01-2011, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 00:37:13 -0000, "Kathy McIntosh"
wrote:

We have a composting toilet, a "club house", a shop, a skip and running
water with a tank and standpipe every three plots. We pay £32 a year, but
that may increase in April when this year's rent is due.

Sounds a bargain!

Self-management is coming to all of Oldham's allotments.

--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 31-01-2011, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We have a composting toilet, a "club house", a shop, a skip and running
water with a tank and standpipe every three plots. We pay £32 a year, but
that may increase in April when this year's rent is due.

Sounds a bargain!

On the down side, we are sandwiched between the A14 and the sewage works :-}
We aren't the poshest site in the area - there is one that we aspire to!

--
Kathy

Self-management is coming to all of Oldham's allotments.

Old 31-01-2011, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy McIntosh" wrote g...

We have a composting toilet, a "club house", a shop, a skip and running
water with a tank and standpipe every three plots. We pay £32 a year, but
that may increase in April when this year's rent is due.

Sounds a bargain!

On the down side, we are sandwiched between the A14 and the sewage works :-}
We aren't the poshest site in the area - there is one that we aspire to!

We have a sewage pumping station on the site and when that lets off "steam"
it's choking! The junction of the two very busy motorways goes round our
site within only 100yds or so on one side, it's across a small field on the
other. Amazes me how many trucks on the M25 have flat tyres, we hear them
ever few minutes.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-02-2011, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We have a composting toilet, a "club house", a shop, a skip and running
water with a tank and standpipe every three plots. We pay £32 a year, but
that may increase in April when this year's rent is due.

Kathy, please can you give me a brief description of your composting
toilet? Our committee were aghast when I suggested such a thing.
They are talking of the cost of installing a proper flushing toilet.
Then they suggested an Elsan type and someone asked who would clean
it. They still weren't convinced when I said the composting goilet
would not need much cleaning.
Can you give me some pointers please?
I'm thinking of installing my own on a small scale. It's OK for the
men!!!
TIA

Pam in Bristol

Does this help, Pam?
http://www.compostingtoilet.org/faq/index.php

A possibility is this
http://www.compass24.com/web/catalog...oilets/4860161

but who will dispose of the sealed bags and where?

Thanks Martin.
The type of composting toilet I envisage is one using straw bales
which eventually break down to compost which goes on the allotment.

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-02-2011, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 00:37:13 -0000, "Kathy McIntosh"
wrote:

snip

Kathy, please can you give me a brief description of your composting
toilet? Our committee were aghast when I suggested such a thing.
They are talking of the cost of installing a proper flushing toilet.
Then they suggested an Elsan type and someone asked who would clean
it. They still weren't convinced when I said the composting goilet
would not need much cleaning.
Can you give me some pointers please?
I'm thinking of installing my own on a small scale. It's OK for the
men!!!
TIA

I'll try, Pam.
It involved digging a large hole, I do know that. We have a quite large
galvanized shed, with the toilet inside. The size is to comply with the DDA
regs. Our is a separator loo, which somehow [please don't ask, as I don't
know] separates solids from liquids. The separating bit only works when the
toilet is sat on, so men either have to sit, or use the urinal, also in the
shed. We have to have unbleached paper, and solids have to be covered with
something called "soak". I think the council will come once a year to
remove the "products". It's been in use since early summer, and despite our
reservations, it doesn't smell.
I'm going down the lottie on Thursday - I'll see if I can locate a committee
member and get some more intelligent answers for you.

--
Kathy

Old 02-02-2011, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kathy McIntosh wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 00:37:13 -0000, "Kathy McIntosh"
wrote:

snipped

Have a look at: http://www.sustainablebuild.co.uk/CompostToilets.html
A search of Google using composting toilets as a search request brings
up many hits. Google is your friend.

Peter
--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 02-02-2011, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Kathy, please can you give me a brief description of your composting
toilet? Our committee were aghast when I suggested such a thing.
They are talking of the cost of installing a proper flushing toilet.
Then they suggested an Elsan type and someone asked who would clean
it. They still weren't convinced when I said the composting goilet
would not need much cleaning.

Composting toilets are fairly common in parts of Australia where there is
limited water.

Here is an Australian government site that gives some useful information:
http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/fs77.html
(You might have to find a committee member who has travelled and can rise
above making comments about convicts)

I have used the Clivus Multrum composting toilet in places. IIRC, it is
from Skandinavia (??) but regardless of where it originated, I know it's a
firm that has been around for many decades:
http://www.clivusmultrum.com.au/

Old 02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
but we do have several water
taps (hoses are allowed to fill water butts, not to water with, if that
makes sense - it doesn't really to me!),.
If you have to use watering cans for watering, you'll concentrate on watering what really needs it. If you can use hoses for the entire delivery, there'll be some idiots who will leave hoses on for hours. I suppose that's the logic.
__________________
Old 02-02-2011, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 21:24:05 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Kathy, please can you give me a brief description of your composting
toilet? Our committee were aghast when I suggested such a thing.
They are talking of the cost of installing a proper flushing toilet.
Then they suggested an Elsan type and someone asked who would clean
it. They still weren't convinced when I said the composting goilet
would not need much cleaning.

Composting toilets are fairly common in parts of Australia where there is
limited water.

Here is an Australian government site that gives some useful information:
http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/fs77.html
(You might have to find a committee member who has travelled and can rise
above making comments about convicts)

I am a committee member, but cannot convince the others!

A friend of mine was a neighbour of Adam Hart-Davis. he had a
straw-bale composting toilet in his back garden and encouraged male
visitors to use it. You pee on the straw and when the straw breaks
down you use the resulting compost and replace the bale. Solid waste
is more difficult!!! Sadly A H-D has moved to Devon so I can't get
her to ask him for me. Can't find anything that simple on Google. I
have been looking.
All I envisage is a few bales, with fencing round.

PS I've found an email address for A H-D and have contacted him,
Don't know whether it's still a current email.

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Kathy McIntosh wrote:
We have a composting toilet, a "club house", a shop, a skip and running
water with a tank and standpipe every three plots. We pay ?32 a year,
but
that may increase in April when this year's rent is due.

Ours hasn't gone up yet. It's about 30-something for a whole allotment,
we
have no toilets or antyhing posh like that, but we do have several water
taps (hoses are allowed to fill water butts, not to water with, if that
makes sense - it doesn't really to me!), and we get an occasional delivery
of poo from the local Pets' Corner.

The pet's not the owner's I hope :-)

Bill