Old 28-01-2011, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default evergreen climber

I came across an escape evergreen climber this afternoon.

Plant growing to 3 m or more, foliage alternate, shortly petiolate,
blades ovate-lanceolate (broadest near the base, 5-7 cm long, 1.5-2 cm
wide), shallowly cordate, acuminate.

I think that it may be a Lonicera. Does it ring any bells with anyone.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 28-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
I came across an escape evergreen climber this afternoon.

Plant growing to 3 m or more, foliage alternate, shortly petiolate,
blades ovate-lanceolate (broadest near the base, 5-7 cm long, 1.5-2 cm
wide), shallowly cordate, acuminate.

I think that it may be a Lonicera. Does it ring any bells with anyone.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Just a thought, the first thing that jumped into my head was Clematis armandii ?? just a thought !!
Lannerman
Old 28-01-2011, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/01/2011 19:58, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I came across an escape evergreen climber this afternoon.

Plant growing to 3 m or more, foliage alternate, shortly petiolate,
blades ovate-lanceolate (broadest near the base, 5-7 cm long, 1.5-2 cm
wide), shallowly cordate, acuminate.

I think that it may be a Lonicera. Does it ring any bells with anyone.

According to the RHS Dictionary of Gardening, Lonicera leaves are
opposite, not alternate.

Could it possibly be a Passiflora, which for some reason has yet to
develop its typically lobed leaves?

--

Jeff
Old 29-01-2011, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
On 28/01/2011 19:58, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I came across an escape evergreen climber this afternoon.

Plant growing to 3 m or more, foliage alternate, shortly petiolate,
blades ovate-lanceolate (broadest near the base, 5-7 cm long, 1.5-2 cm
wide), shallowly cordate, acuminate.

I think that it may be a Lonicera. Does it ring any bells with anyone.

According to the RHS Dictionary of Gardening, Lonicera leaves are
opposite, not alternate.

Sorry. Thinko on my part. I meant to write "opposite".

Old 29-01-2011, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , lannerman
writes

Stewart Robert Hinsley;911368 Wrote:
I came across an escape evergreen climber this afternoon.

Plant growing to 3 m or more, foliage alternate, shortly petiolate,
blades ovate-lanceolate (broadest near the base, 5-7 cm long, 1.5-2 cm
wide), shallowly cordate, acuminate.

I think that it may be a Lonicera. Does it ring any bells with anyone.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Just a thought, the first thing that jumped into my head was Clematis
armandii ?? just a thought !!
Lannerman

It's a better match than I would have expected for a clematis, but
Clematis armandii has ternate leaves, while this plant had simple,
rather than compound leaves. (And opposite leaves, rather than the
alternative leaves that I mistyped.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 29-01-2011, 11:27 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
I came across an escape evergreen climber this afternoon.

Plant growing to 3 m or more, foliage alternate, shortly petiolate,
blades ovate-lanceolate (broadest near the base, 5-7 cm long, 1.5-2 cm
wide), shallowly cordate, acuminate.

I think that it may be a Lonicera. Does it ring any bells with anyone.
You've rejected the obvious L henryi have you?
__________________
Old 29-01-2011, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/01/2011 08:00, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Jeff Layman
writes
On 28/01/2011 19:58, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I came across an escape evergreen climber this afternoon.

Plant growing to 3 m or more, foliage alternate, shortly petiolate,
blades ovate-lanceolate (broadest near the base, 5-7 cm long, 1.5-2 cm
wide), shallowly cordate, acuminate.

I think that it may be a Lonicera. Does it ring any bells with anyone.

According to the RHS Dictionary of Gardening, Lonicera leaves are
opposite, not alternate.

Sorry. Thinko on my part. I meant to write "opposite".

Heh - a "Thinko" - I like it! Assuming everything else in your OP is
accurate, I had a look through all the Lonicera entries in the RHSDoG.

There are more than a dozen entries for scandent species which are said
to be evergreen or semi-evergreen (I have assume that where not stated,
the plant is deciduous, which is the usual practice in the DoG).
Eliminating any plants of Zone 8 and worse hardiness, the most likely
candidates would be henryi and japonica. I have excluded sempervirens
as the leaves are much rounder than you describe. I would tend to go
for henryi. There are a few other much rarer species which might fit
the bill, but unless there is a botanic garden or lonicera enthusiast
nearby, I can't see it being one of those.

Of course, the above excludes hybrids and cultivars. Best of luck if
you want to include those too...

--

Jeff
Old 29-01-2011, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
[...]

Lonicera henryi seems quite plausible. (That would make it 7 species of
Lonicera I've found "in the wild"). Now I have to remember to take a
look in June or July, to be sure that it's not something completely
different.

Thanks.

[If Lonicera japonica is the plant I think it is - with flowers which
are dead ringers for Lonicera periclymenum, but axillary rather than
terminal - it's leaves are too broad, not to mention the tendency for a
degree of lobing - I omitted "unlobed, margin entire" from the
description. I didn't get close enough to tell whether the leaves were
ciliate, as per Hillier.]
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 30-01-2011, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/01/2011 13:42, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
(snip)

[If Lonicera japonica is the plant I think it is - with flowers which
are dead ringers for Lonicera periclymenum, but axillary rather than
terminal - it's leaves are too broad, not to mention the tendency for a
degree of lobing - I omitted "unlobed, margin entire" from the
description. I didn't get close enough to tell whether the leaves were
ciliate, as per Hillier.]

I agree that it is unlikely to be L. japonica.

--

Jeff

evergreen climber Paul United Kingdom 28 24-02-2004 11:47 PM
evergreen climber Paul United Kingdom 0 23-02-2004 09:33 AM
Vigorous evergreen climber - any ideas? Richard Kerry United Kingdom 28 08-02-2004 08:26 PM
Fast Growing Evergreen Climber??? Any suggestions AndreaL United Kingdom 9 15-10-2003 12:02 PM
Evergreen climber to cover a west facing wall in zone 9 Pete Gardening 6 25-09-2003 05:42 AM