Old 30-01-2011, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 6X fertiliser

Hello,

Has anyone used " 6X " fertiliser. It is quite expensive (about £9 for a
bag ) but is used very sparingly.

Experiences & comments please ?

Old 30-01-2011, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:37:07 -0000, "dido22"
wrote:

Hello,

Has anyone used " 6X " fertiliser. It is quite expensive (about £9 for a
bag ) but is used very sparingly.

Experiences & comments please ?

I remember buying some 6X 20+ years ago at a hefty price, not far
short of the price today, at a garden centre. As I recall it was then
sold as concentrated and sterilised manure rather than fertiliser. You
could literally handle it although it did have a certain sweet, and
not unpleasant, aroma! It was dried and had a texture best described
(by me anyway) as like the shavings from a coconut shell.

I tracked down the "manufacturer", then Organic Concentrates Ltd, a
family business run, I think literally, from the dining room table,
and found I could buy it direct at a fraction of the garden centre
price. So I ordered in quantity and the lorry turned up. The bags were
spread over my then heavy clay borders and forked in, probably a
bagful into the area the bag covered. It broke the soil up
beautifully, the heavy clay became just clay! The next day it rained!

Then the sweet aroma became somewhat headier, heavier and, literally
stank of s***!

But whatever I planted in those borders came up a treat!

Though I haven't heard of it for years and thought it had gone off the
market. Whether today's product is the same as that 20+ years ago I
don't know but will investigate!

Jake
Old 30-01-2011, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote:

Then the sweet aroma became somewhat headier, heavier and, literally
stank of s***!

But whatever I planted in those borders came up a treat!

Couldn't get out of the ground quickly enough?

--
Rusty
Old 30-01-2011, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:54:54 +0000, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

Jake wrote:

Then the sweet aroma became somewhat headier, heavier and, literally
stank of s***!

But whatever I planted in those borders came up a treat!

Couldn't get out of the ground quickly enough?

It probably Hinged on the level of nutrient in the soil ;-))

[IBC] Trees, fertiliser, and pests Joe St. Lawrence Bonsai 0 26-03-2003 06:08 PM
Best Fertiliser Jack United Kingdom 4 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
fertiliser papa United Kingdom 2 26-02-2003 12:00 AM
Manure and Fertiliser Bart United Kingdom 9 16-02-2003 12:11 AM
Fertiliser burn ss Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 07:25 PM