Old 08-02-2011, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Need pots inspiration.

We have a nice, if motley collection of various glazed and unglazed
pots, some even have something in them growing :-). but they've suffered
from so neglect over the last couple of years, due to other things in
life, and are a bit sad really. And will look even sadder come the
summer.

Want to get the patio looking nice(r) again, but am lacking inspiration
on the pot front.

Yeah, I can go down the nursey/GC and buy a bunch of things to put in
them, but without some inspiration might not end up looking much good.

So anyone got any suggestions for what to put in them? nice
combinations you've had, or suggestions for a book for ideas?
--
Chris French

Old 08-02-2011, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 13:02:11 +0000, chris French
wrote:

We have a nice, if motley collection of various glazed and unglazed
pots, some even have something in them growing :-). but they've suffered
from so neglect over the last couple of years, due to other things in
life, and are a bit sad really. And will look even sadder come the
summer.

Have you thought of creating a more unified (?) look, by painting all
the pots the same colour? They then look good even waiting for the
plants to grow.
I too had a very motley selection, but cleaning, painting with PVA
glue to seal them, and then using spray paint. (I used car spray
paint, , from a discount store) They now look as if they are a
collection rather than a motley selection :-)

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2011-02-08 13:02:11 +0000, chris French
said:

We have a nice, if motley collection of various glazed and unglazed
pots, some even have something in them growing :-). but they've
suffered from so neglect over the last couple of years, due to other
things in life, and are a bit sad really. And will look even sadder
come the summer.
Want to get the patio looking nice(r) again, but am lacking
inspiration on the pot front.
Yeah, I can go down the nursey/GC and buy a bunch of things to put
in them, but without some inspiration might not end up looking much
good.
So anyone got any suggestions for what to put in them? nice
combinations you've had, or suggestions for a book for ideas?

It's a bit cold atm

It's ok, I'm thinking ahead :-)

but I like Surfinias in pots because they flower for a long time and
do that nice trailing thing. Phormiums can look good and so can some
grasses, imo. If they're a random selection of size and colour, I
think the suggestion that you spray them so as to make a set or sets,
is a very good one.

It is a good one, though unlikely to happen. Life seems to whizz past
fast enough as it is without extra jobs added to the list, and I'm happy
with the mixture of pots look. anyway, the kids would want to be
involved, and we would end up with even more eclectically decorated
pots :-)

And if they're different sizes you could group them, with some raised
on bricks at the back to give height. Colour really is up to you -
you might want a graduation from pale pink to searing orange or a mass
of white or just a mass of a bit of everything!

Well, yes, it's the deciding on that where we have a bit of a blind
sport at the moment.
--
Chris French

Inspiration needed gwildor Gardening 2 05-03-2008 11:38 PM
Real waterfalls for inspiration. [email protected] Ponds 2 10-04-2006 05:41 PM
Inspiration please - round bed EN United Kingdom 2 12-03-2006 07:05 PM
Inspiration for garden design needed Nigel Walker United Kingdom 4 29-04-2003 05:32 PM