Old 15-02-2011, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn Spreader

I am intending to buy a lawn spreader in the next few days.

This is prompted by a large lawn which is springy with moss.

Ideally it would be:
a) quite wide
b) able to cope with a range of lawn speadables
c) well made.

Recommendations or pointers please.

mark

Old 15-02-2011, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
I am intending to buy a lawn spreader in the next few days.

This is prompted by a large lawn which is springy with moss.

Why not just borrow one from the place you buy the stuf you are going to
spread. That's what I have always done.

Mike

Old 15-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
I am intending to buy a lawn spreader in the next few days.

This is prompted by a large lawn which is springy with moss.

Ideally it would be:
a) quite wide
b) able to cope with a range of lawn speadables
c) well made.

Recommendations or pointers please.

mark
Why not tackle the root cause of the problem which is probably drainage? Moss will return year after year if your lawn has poor drainage no matter how much spreadables you throw at it!

Rather than buying machinery to do this once - twice yearly task, I would be more inclined towards finding a decent landscaper to do it for you.

see Find a landscaper, gardener or designer by county - Landscape and Horticulture Association - find a trade to find someone local to you.

Alternatively if you still feel like buying your own equipment then I can highly recommend Agri-Fab Spreaders.

see Agri-Fab Garden Products - Lawnmower World

Hope this helps solve your springy lawn one way or another!
Old 15-02-2011, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , MuddyMike
writes
Why not just borrow one from the place you buy the stuf you are going to
spread. That's what I have always done.

Mike

But then you'd have to take it back within a few days and you might not
get round to actually doing the spreading for a week or so!
I'd be interested in any recommendations as well if anyone's got them
for spreaders.
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 17-02-2011, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , MuddyMike
writes
Why not just borrow one from the place you buy the stuf you are going to
spread. That's what I have always done.

Mike

But then you'd have to take it back within a few days and you might not
get round to actually doing the spreading for a week or so!
I'd be interested in any recommendations as well if anyone's got them for
spreaders.
--

I always take it back in a few hours, how long does it take to spread weed
N feed on a lawn?

Mike

Old 20-02-2011, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , MuddyMike
writes
I always take it back in a few hours, how long does it take to spread weed
N feed on a lawn?

As it's not my garden that I need to do i would usually get the lawn
granules etc. as cheap as I can then take them round to the gardens on a
good day for spreading. I wouldn't necessarily go and buy on the same
day! (Why waste a good 'gardening weather' day on tramping round garden
centres?)

So I need to buy a spreader that I can keep you see.
Maybe I can look at those that the GC's loan out? The last one i bought
kept blocking up and you couldn't change the regulator for different
feeds .
The best one i ever sued was just the one you held and scattered but
that was one small lawn.

Janet
Old 20-02-2011, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
The best one i ever sued was just the one you held and scattered but
that was one small lawn.

Bother I always make that typo. I meant the best one I ever USED
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 20-02-2011, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

The best one i ever used was just the one you held and scattered but
that was one small lawn.

I have a "Cyclone Seeder" that works like that, mostly for cover crop
planting. It works well, but not as even coverage as one of those you push
around as it drops the seed/fert/whatever.

Old 23-02-2011, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , MuddyMike
writes
Why not just borrow one from the place you buy the stuf you are going to
spread. That's what I have always done.

Mike

But then you'd have to take it back within a few days and you might not
get round to actually doing the spreading for a week or so!
I'd be interested in any recommendations as well if anyone's got them for
spreaders.
--

The borrowing idea is okay if you live next door to a garden centre but it's
not for me.

After a little research I bought a:
Scotts EvenGreen Drop Spreader. I got it from Amazon as that was cheaper
than the competition and had free delivery.

Basis for buying was merely that it looked the part. It has large wheels,
an ample container and an adjustable drop rate. A little self-assembly
required, the wheels are held on by a split pin, hub caps click into place
and the handle fixed on. No tools required.

Haven't used it in combat yet as it is drizzling.

Amazon link he
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotts-Mirac..._bxgy_lp_img_c

mark

Old 24-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Registered User

Lawn fertilizers are typically sold in a granular form, and therefore need a lawn spreader to apply them to the lawn. The type of spreader you use depends on the size of your lawn and your preferences. Choose a spreader with a large enough hopper to hold the amount of fertilizer it will take to cover your size lawn.

Old 24-02-2011, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , MuddyMike
writes
Why not just borrow one from the place you buy the stuf you are going to
spread. That's what I have always done.

Mike

But then you'd have to take it back within a few days and you might not
get round to actually doing the spreading for a week or so!
I'd be interested in any recommendations as well if anyone's got them for
spreaders.
--

The borrowing idea is okay if you live next door to a garden centre but
it's not for me.

After a little research I bought a:
Scotts EvenGreen Drop Spreader. I got it from Amazon as that was cheaper
than the competition and had free delivery.

Thats exactly what my supplier lends me. It works well but it's sometimes
hard to see where you have been as you have to rely on the wheel marks on
the grass.

Mike

Old 28-02-2011, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MuddyMike" wrote in message
news

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

I agree. I used the wheel marks for guidance. Cheaper to run a Range Rover!
I got through 3 bags (£20 each) in about half an hour.

mark