Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Irresponsible cats owners offer (bad) advice.

On 2011-03-04 21:40:42 +0000, Jake Nospam@invalid said:

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 19:56:13 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

In message , Jake
writes

intermediate bits killed off by sudden frost

I don't have thick stone walls, merely brick and block here but I had
problems getting phone reception in the garden until I followed
someone's advice and moved the base station upstairs. Flippin' pain
with the answerphone messages, which we always forget to pop upstairs
to check for, but vast improvement in garden reception. Did the same
with my wireless router and I can now sit anywhere in the garden and
compute away happily on my notebook (provided it's not raining!)

Can't you listen to the answer phone messages on the handset?

Not so simple, unfortunately. Long story but the base unit is a
Phillips and the other handsets are all Motorola. The normal phone
functions (and all the whizz stuff like transferring calls internally
and conference calling) work fine but the answerphone stuff doesn't.
The handsets don't give any indication that there's a voicemail
message waiting. We used to keep the Philips handset downstairs but it
kept running out of juice cos we forgot to charge it. Now we seem to
end up phoning people late at night when we go to bed and see a little
flashing red light.

Please no comments about flashing red lights in the bedroom! It was
bad enough when someone told us that having pampas grass in the front
lawn indicated that we were swingers (well it was bad enough once we
had found out what "swingers" meant!). Now researching miscanthus
varieties as a replacement ;-))

Ye gods - what have I missed?! To think I dug mine up and made the
resulting cavity into a pond. There must be some significance to that,
surely? ;-)

I don't even know what pampas grass looks like, so what have I been missing
all these years?

Alan

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-03-2011, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-03-04 21:40:42 +0000, Jake Nospam@invalid said:

[...]

It's those tall grasses with the big spray of white at the top of long
stalks. My daughter and son in law have them on the Island in the middle of
their pond

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 06-03-2011, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-03-06 17:09:30 +0000, Sacha said:
snip
Here we are, Alan. You and Joyce are in a few of these. It was before
Ray and I got married, so the meet was in my then house in 1999 and we
all trooped off to the Nursery and then returned to my place for tea
IIRC. I remember that in the evening, some of us went to a local pub for
supper.

Yet again, she forgets the url!! http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/urgmeet4.htm
--
Sacha