Old 28-02-2011, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default April

We have just booked a holiday that will take us away from home for
virtually the whole of April - normally the busiest month for
sowing/planting out etc.

Does anyone have advice on what I can do with seedlings/young plants
that should be ready in April (onions & leeks at the moment). Whilst the
neighbours will water things in the greenhouse (cold and drafty!) and
even mow the lawn, I can not expect them to plant out my veggies.

I'm planning to plant some outside seeds just as we go away (a bit
early) and others leave until May.

Any advice welcome.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 28-02-2011, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 28, 4:48*pm, Roger Tonkin wrote:
We have just booked a holiday that will take us away from home for
virtually the whole of April - normally the busiest month for
sowing/planting out etc.

Does anyone have advice on what I can do with seedlings/young plants
that should be ready in April (onions & leeks at the moment). Whilst the
neighbours will water things in the greenhouse (cold and drafty!) and
even mow the lawn, I can not expect them to plant out my veggies.

I'm planning to plant some outside seeds just as we go away (a bit
early) and others leave until May.

Any advice welcome.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

A lot of early planting gets caught up with by later planting due to
the improved conditions. I wouldn't worry, just plant the moment you
get back.
At 700' you don't want o be too soon anyway.
Old 28-02-2011, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
We have just booked a holiday that will take us away from home for
virtually the whole of April - normally the busiest month for
sowing/planting out etc.

Does anyone have advice on what I can do with seedlings/young plants
that should be ready in April (onions & leeks at the moment). Whilst the
neighbours will water things in the greenhouse (cold and drafty!) and
even mow the lawn, I can not expect them to plant out my veggies.

I'm planning to plant some outside seeds just as we go away (a bit
early) and others leave until May.

Any advice welcome.

The only thing I can suggest is to phone around to find local gardening
services who may have someone experienced enough to do this that you could
pay by the hour.
A couple of hours should be enough to plant out your seedlings and sow your
seeds.
Just an idea.

Tina

Old 28-02-2011, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Irresponsible cats owners offer (bad) advice.

In message , Christina Websell
wrote
A couple of hours should be enough to plant out your seedlings and sow your
seeds.
Just an idea.

And a couple of hour later the local cat population will destroy the
work.

--
Alan
Old 28-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Registered User

Location: UK Midlands

I never plant out leeks until June/July - never ready or organised before then! They have always resulted in a crop so far. So I'm sure you can leave them until you get back.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Christina Websell
wrote
A couple of hours should be enough to plant out your seedlings and sow
your
seeds.
Just an idea.

And a couple of hour later the local cat population will destroy the work.

--

You are starting to annoy me now. Drive some sticks in around your seed bed
and get a cheap green net from Wilkinson to make a tent over them.

Get yourself a bigger garden, Alan, then you won't even notice. I would not
normally have said that, but the fact remains it's illegal to catch owned
cats to protect your seed bed in a very small garden (or ever)
The Rspca will get very suspicious if you keep taking cats there. How many
excuses can you give?

"I found this cat starving in my garden" is good Twice.

Tina

Old 02-03-2011, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Christina Websell
wrote
A couple of hours should be enough to plant out your seedlings and sow
your
seeds.
Just an idea.

And a couple of hour later the local cat population will destroy the
work.

--

You are starting to annoy me now.

Why do you 'allow' someone to annoy you?

Are you not strong enough in yourself to ignore such people?

Kindest sympathies

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
"Christina Websell" wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

I have seen at least four different cats wonder down our garden on
a regular basis, none have yet used the borders as a toilet, maybe
its because we have wild garlic growing which tends to deter them.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsular.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-03-02 19:01:20 +0000, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

Christina, the entire idea of these fools is to get you to respond, be
upset, feel angry etc. It's a kind of masturbation for people with teeny
weeny little............lives. Believe me these 'men' who never actually
developed, are getting off on your responses. If anyone went near one
of them with an RSPCA inspector or a policeman they'd be grovelling and
saluting within seconds. Truly - starve them out by ignoring them but
please, don't encourage them by taking them seriously. I doubt even their
families do that!
--
Sacha
South Devon

Does your family know you write things like that?

I think your husband should have a letter

Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-03-02 19:01:20 +0000, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

You are quite right Sacha, but it's hard sometimes.
Tins

Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-03-02 19:01:20 +0000, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

Why? Don't you have any self control? Do you allow others to control you?

Kindest regards

Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-03-02 21:10:08 +0000, "Christina Websell"

On 2011-03-02 19:01:20 +0000, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

It's quite amusing if you think of how it annoys such deadbeats to be
ignored, though. They really are nobodies, not worthy of your energy or
attention. Imagine having a life where that sort of behaviour is
considered an amusement! After that, you have to feel sorry for the poor
inadequates.
--
Sacha
South Devon

What a vicious attack. It will be the shovel next will it?

Are these the people that you agree with what Hitler said 'Shouldn't be
allowed to vote and breed'? Is that English?

Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 16:26:06 -0800 (PST), Judith in France
wrote:
[...]

Now I have a real problem to do with gardening, my husband told me
tonight that when I get back from a holiday away in the Far East, that
he wants to visit our daughter who has recently moved to Wales.
Hurrah, I really miss her, BUT he watns to go wehen my seeds will need
trasplanting into trays. Add to that, I want to bring our dog with
us, but she has 5 cats! So, do we book into a B&B which is dog
friendly in Wales and what do I do about my multiple seeds which are
just about to grow their second leaves????

Fred Downham's advice was that a gardener should go on holiday only in
October. I'd choose November myself, but I wouldn't argue with Fred
Downham of Lancaster.

I'd hate to be anywhere but home after a holiday, and so would the
dog; but surely you'll only need a few days to move the seedlings on?

Of course, you could always take the seed trays with you...

--
Mike.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:21 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lyle[_1_] View Post

Fred Downham's advice was that a gardener should go on holiday only in
October. I'd choose November myself, but I wouldn't argue with Fred
Downham of Lancaster.
.
I think March isn't bad. Sow your seed trees the day before you go and seal them all in plastic bags - when you get back you have lots of trays of seedlings, but they haven't grown enough to need lots of water, so they haven't dried out in your absence.

Can't go in October - still picking apples, and in November there's the medlars.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-03-02 19:01:20 +0000, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

I have that trouble as well, I try to respond then someone tells me I'm
responding to a troll(:-(

Alan

Tins