Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn Problem

I have a large brownish patch on the lawn, under the bird feeder. I
assumed that this was due to the seed husk and other detritus left by
the birds. However I found out today that swmbo washes the feeder with
dilute disinfectant every week (on a Sat morning whilst I'm in town
getting the paper).

Is this likely to damage the lawn, or will it recover when I move the
feeder and the grass starts to grow?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 02-03-2011, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
I have a large brownish patch on the lawn, under the bird feeder. I
assumed that this was due to the seed husk and other detritus left by
the birds. However I found out today that swmbo washes the feeder with
dilute disinfectant every week (on a Sat morning whilst I'm in town
getting the paper).

How strange to disinfect the feeders in situ. I always take them down,
empty them, scrub them, disinfect them, dry them out and refill them. Bit
difficult to do that while they are hanging up outside...

Is this likely to damage the lawn, or will it recover when I move the
feeder and the grass starts to grow?

The grass will probably probably if was only dilute disinfectant. I hope.

Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Old 02-03-2011, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 2, 10:46*am, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I have a large brownish patch on the lawn, under the bird feeder. I
assumed that this was due to the seed husk and other detritus left by
the birds. However I found out today that swmbo washes the feeder with
dilute disinfectant every week (on a Sat morning whilst I'm in town
getting the paper).

Is this likely to damage the lawn, or will it recover when I move the
feeder and the grass starts to grow?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Disinfectant is innimical to all life. That's what the word means. I
expect the grass will come back in the end. Also poisonous to birds
unless washed off afterwards. You might mention this to SWMBO.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 10:35:59 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Mar 2, 10:46*am, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I have a large brownish patch on the lawn, under the bird feeder. I
assumed that this was due to the seed husk and other detritus left by
the birds. However I found out today that swmbo washes the feeder with
dilute disinfectant every week (on a Sat morning whilst I'm in town
getting the paper).

Is this likely to damage the lawn, or will it recover when I move the
feeder and the grass starts to grow?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Disinfectant is innimical to all life. That's what the word means. I
expect the grass will come back in the end. Also poisonous to birds
unless washed off afterwards. You might mention this to SWMBO.

I clean my bird table (and feeders) monthly with a 5% solution of
household disinfectant (not anything like Domestos!) sprayed on from a
trigger bottle. That is followed by a decent hose down. I've never
noticed any problem with the lawn under the bird table. It is
important to clean things occasionally.

Timing's important - I clean in mid to late afternoon - a time when
the table never seems to get visited by birds. It can dry before being
replenished with food in the night.

I'd guess that if the lawn is being damaged then the solution SWMBO's
using is too strong and this could have an adverse effect on the birds
as well.

You can also get bactericidal cleaners specifically for bird tables
and feeders if you fancy the outlay!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

and feeders if you fancy the outlay!- Hide quoted text -

The disinfectant is a complete waste of time and money. A good wash
does the trick.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Tonkin View Post
I have a large brownish patch on the lawn, under the bird feeder. I
assumed that this was due to the seed husk and other detritus left by
the birds. However I found out today that swmbo washes the feeder with
dilute disinfectant every week (on a Sat morning whilst I'm in town
getting the paper).

Is this likely to damage the lawn, or will it recover when I move the
feeder and the grass starts to grow?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
hi roger, its very difficult to completely kill grass, so i would leave it , but not disinfect it in situ. however, if the grass remains brown. dig it out and put some top soil, then grass seed and top with multi purpose compost, then compact the compost by walking on it and give it a good watering.. the grass will soon grow back.. good luck,, spinksy
Old 03-03-2011, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/03/2011 10:46, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I have a large brownish patch on the lawn, under the bird feeder. I
assumed that this was due to the seed husk and other detritus left by
the birds. However I found out today that swmbo washes the feeder with
dilute disinfectant every week (on a Sat morning whilst I'm in town
getting the paper).

Is this likely to damage the lawn, or will it recover when I move the
feeder and the grass starts to grow?

It may be the disinfectant solution, but I get brown lawn patches at
this time of year simply because I scatter seed on the lawn in harsh
weather. The frantic avian hoovering up of all the seed tends to leave
the lawn a bit bare. This makes me think that, perhaps, ground-feeding
birds are clearing up fallen seed from under your bird feeder and
leaving the turf somewhat thin. If so, it's not a serious problem. The
lawn will probably green up on its own, but will do it sooner if you
re-seed it.

Your wife may, or may not, be harming the birds with her disinfectant
solution (depending on its strength), but surely the resulting
disinfectant swill is better poured down the drain, where it will
perform another task for her. Do, please, pass on this information
tactfully ;~).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 03-03-2011, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

[...]

Most of the disinfectant does go down the drain when she is finnished.
We have one of these squirrel baffle things attached to the pole, which
can not be removed (without taking the whole pole out of the ground!).
It attracts a great deal of bird s--t, which is what she washes off onto
the ground with copious ammounts of disinfectant solution.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 04-03-2011, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 3, 7:05*pm, Spider wrote:
[...]

Disinfectatant is a waste of time wherever it is used in the domestic
enviromment. Dangerous in some. There are a few comercial and
industrial uses.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Roger Tonkin writes
In article , says...

[...]

Ah the great anti-bacterial obsession.
Just wash it with warm soapy water.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

Old 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 4, 4:14*pm, hugh ] wrote:
In message ,
Roger Tonkin writes

In article , says...

[...]

common sense." Buddha- Hide quoted text -

Quite right. And rinse off.