Old 02-03-2011, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New potatoes

Someone mentioned in a thread earlier last month (Feb) about planting a few
spuds under a polytunnel early.
I am wondering if I plant some now, in the NE, under a tunnel would it
really make any difference? Could I expect some new potatoes a bit earlier
than normal if left under the tunnel?

Any thoughts?
Baz
Old 02-03-2011, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
Someone mentioned in a thread earlier last month (Feb) about planting a
few
spuds under a polytunnel early.
I am wondering if I plant some now, in the NE, under a tunnel would it
really make any difference? Could I expect some new potatoes a bit earlier
than normal if left under the tunnel?

Any thoughts?
Baz

Baz it was me. We had two polly tunnels at our last house. Plenty of room,
large garden. It became tradition for us to plant potatoes in the polly
tunnel on Boxing Day and were always early in harvesting, BUT, we are on the
South East part of the Isle of Wight.

(Said South once and the police picked me up, so South East ;[))

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 04-03-2011, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
Someone mentioned in a thread earlier last month (Feb) about planting
a few
spuds under a polytunnel early.
I am wondering if I plant some now, in the NE, under a tunnel would
it really make any difference? Could I expect some new potatoes a bit
earlier than normal if left under the tunnel?

Any thoughts?
Baz

Baz it was me. We had two polly tunnels at our last house. Plenty of
room, large garden. It became tradition for us to plant potatoes in
the polly tunnel on Boxing Day and were always early in harvesting,
BUT, we are on the South East part of the Isle of Wight.

(Said South once and the police picked me up, so South East ;[))

Mike

Mike you should have been locked up for that! Throw away the key!
You know you are in South East, so why say South?
You naughty person.
I am almost afraid now to tell you I live in North Lincolnshire, or is it
Humberside? Forgot.

Anyhow Mike, (wherever we live) I have put 10 new spuds in this morning
under the protective polly/t, I know it's cold but what is there to lose?

Thanks for your reply btw.
Baz
Old 04-03-2011, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Someone mentioned in a thread earlier last month (Feb) about planting a few
spuds under a polytunnel early.
I am wondering if I plant some now, in the NE, under a tunnel would it
really make any difference? Could I expect some new potatoes a bit earlier
than normal if left under the tunnel?

Not tried it before, but I've just noticed I've got a huge potato plant
growing in a bucket in my kitchen atm! I think it may get properly planted
then put in the greenhouse and see if we get any earlies!
Old 04-03-2011, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
Someone mentioned in a thread earlier last month (Feb) about planting
a few spuds under a polytunnel early.
I am wondering if I plant some now, in the NE, under a tunnel would
it really make any difference? Could I expect some new potatoes a bit
earlier than normal if left under the tunnel?

Not tried it before, but I've just noticed I've got a huge potato
plant growing in a bucket in my kitchen atm! I think it may get
properly planted then put in the greenhouse and see if we get any
earlies!

Oow. Let us know then please how you get on with it. There is nothing
better than a home grown new spud. I love them.

Baz