Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Badgers

I know there was a thread on badgers last year, but I dont seem to be
able to reply to it for some reason.

I have the same trouble with them trashing the lawn, garden and
anything planted in tubs they can turn over and dig out.

However, I knew they are not keen on smells and one day had an idea
that scattering a top dressing of blood, fish and bone over the tubs
might work (and hopefully feed the plants later in the season), and it
seems to have done.

Four nights now and no new damage, even though I have topped up the
tubs that were dug out before adding the b,f & b. Ok, it might be
coincidence but at least its worth a try if you have them causing
trouble.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sutartsorric" wrote in message
I know there was a thread on badgers last year, but I dont seem to be
able to reply to it for some reason.

I have the same trouble with them trashing the lawn, garden and
anything planted in tubs they can turn over and dig out.

However, I knew they are not keen on smells and one day had an idea
that scattering a top dressing of blood, fish and bone over the tubs
might work (and hopefully feed the plants later in the season), and it
seems to have done.

Four nights now and no new damage, even though I have topped up the
tubs that were dug out before adding the b,f & b. Ok, it might be
coincidence but at least its worth a try if you have them causing
trouble.

This will prove to be a bad idea.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 21:45:48 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"sutartsorric" wrote in message
I know there was a thread on badgers last year, but I dont seem to be
able to reply to it for some reason.

I have the same trouble with them trashing the lawn, garden and
anything planted in tubs they can turn over and dig out.

However, I knew they are not keen on smells and one day had an idea
that scattering a top dressing of blood, fish and bone over the tubs
might work (and hopefully feed the plants later in the season), and it
seems to have done.

Four nights now and no new damage, even though I have topped up the
tubs that were dug out before adding the b,f & b. Ok, it might be
coincidence but at least its worth a try if you have them causing
trouble.

This will prove to be a bad idea.

I think it might attract a different problem - foxes.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

"sutartsorric" wrote in message
I know there was a thread on badgers last year, but I dont seem to be
able to reply to it for some reason.

I have the same trouble with them trashing the lawn, garden and
anything planted in tubs they can turn over and dig out.

However, I knew they are not keen on smells and one day had an idea
that scattering a top dressing of blood, fish and bone over the tubs
might work (and hopefully feed the plants later in the season), and it
seems to have done.

Four nights now and no new damage, even though I have topped up the
tubs that were dug out before adding the b,f & b. Ok, it might be
coincidence but at least its worth a try if you have them causing
trouble.

This will prove to be a bad idea.

I think it might attract a different problem - foxes.- Hide quoted text -

I found the best thing was to water around with Armilotox, strong
smell but lasts for several weeks

Old 12-03-2011, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 21:07:08 -0000, sutartsorric
wrote:

I know there was a thread on badgers last year, but I dont seem to be
able to reply to it for some reason.

I have the same trouble with them trashing the lawn, garden and
anything planted in tubs they can turn over and dig out.

However, I knew they are not keen on smells and one day had an idea
that scattering a top dressing of blood, fish and bone over the tubs
might work (and hopefully feed the plants later in the season), and it
seems to have done.

Four nights now and no new damage, even though I have topped up the
tubs that were dug out before adding the b,f & b. Ok, it might be
coincidence but at least its worth a try if you have them causing
trouble.

A strong wooden fence with heavy gauge wire mesh attached and
extended below ground, or a heavy gauge wire mesh fence with the
bottom edge extended below ground (chicken wire fencing is inadequate).
The extension below ground will need to extend at least 600mm
and have a horizontal return away from the garden of at least 300mm.
The fence will need to be at least 1200mm high, and with wire mesh fencing
an overhang of at least 300mm is recommended directed away from
the garden.

An alternative barrier is a stone, brick or block wall with a suitable
foundation dependant on soil structure. It should be at least 1200mm
high with a smooth surface finish to deter climbing.

Electric fencing, energised either by battery or transformed mains
electric supply, can be an effective deterrent. It can also be
installed either temporarily or permanently, and can be used to
protect the whole or a specific part of a garden. Mains electric
supply fencing can also be controlled with a time clock which will
automatically switch the current on in the evening and off in the
morning. Electric fencing needs to be firmly installed with at least two
taut wires. These wires should be placed at heights of 75mm and
200mm above the ground. A third wire positioned at 300mm above
the ground could also be installed. The wires should be adequately
supported (minimum interval 3 metres), follow the ground contours
and be well earthed.

-- rbel
Old 14-03-2011, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"sutartsorric" wrote in message
I know there was a thread on badgers last year, but I dont seem to be
able to reply to it for some reason.

I have the same trouble with them trashing the lawn, garden and
anything planted in tubs they can turn over and dig out.

However, I knew they are not keen on smells and one day had an idea
that scattering a top dressing of blood, fish and bone over the tubs
might work (and hopefully feed the plants later in the season), and it
seems to have done.

Four nights now and no new damage, even though I have topped up the
tubs that were dug out before adding the b,f & b. Ok, it might be
coincidence but at least its worth a try if you have them causing
trouble.

This will prove to be a bad idea.

I think it might attract a different problem - foxes.- Hide I found the
best thing was to water around with Armilotox, strong

smell but lasts for several weeks.
--- so I

Unfortunately nothing worked for me around foxes trying to eat my chickens
so they were trapped and dispatched.
Strange thing is that my fox man said that my wild foxes were not the same
as he trapped here, they had been released from somewhere, they were *butter
fat* as fed foxes.
It's such a pity that the local council catch them and release them into the
countryside near me - they deny it but that's what they do.
Unfortunately if they come here after my chickens they are ex-foxes. Poor
things.
It's a lovely idea that foxes are great, they are, unless you have poultry.

Old 16-03-2011, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

All very impractical options unless I win the lottery, but thanks
anyway.

I will wait for my idea to be proven bad, as predicted. However, as I
have been given no idea of how the badness will manifest itself, then
my wait maybe open ended.

I do not have chickens, and have seen foxes around here in the past so
I if it is a choice between badgers and foxes I may plump for the
latter as they have not shown such destructive properties.

Badgers got my sweetcorn Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 2 31-08-2009 11:23 AM
Badgers Margret United Kingdom 20 28-04-2005 11:50 AM
Squirrel Digging Up Bulbs (and badgers...) Lorna United Kingdom 0 06-10-2003 12:19 PM
badgers N Flanders Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
badgers N Flanders Lawns 0 07-12-2002 03:49 PM