Old 22-03-2011, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Birds and Bees: Broad beans

The few broad beans I have left after the pigeons have had a go have had
some attention with a bumble bee, I say in the singular because that one is
the only one I have clapped eyes on, there must be more because there are
little pods there. This is the first year that birds have damaged my beans.

Another crop ruined by nature!(or natural vermin)

Now comes the survival mode from me. Slug pellets, insecticide, herbicide
in fact anything and bugger the consequences. Tried and failed with nature.

Baz

Old 23-03-2011, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote in
:

On Mar 22, 3:46*pm, Baz wrote:
The few broad beans I have left after the pigeons have had a go have
had some attention with a bumble bee, I say in the singular because
that one

is
the only one I have clapped eyes on, there must be more because there
are little pods there. This is the first year that birds have damaged
my bean

s.

Another crop ruined by nature!(or natural vermin)

Now comes the survival mode from me. Slug pellets, insecticide,
herbicide in fact anything and bugger the consequences. Tried and
failed with natur

e.

Baz

Net?

Yes, LOL nets.
That is the best thing to stop them, but I have never had this problem
before so left the nets in the shed! I will use nets for my subsequent
sowings, and thanks for reminding me. We need nets for almost everything
these days don't we, and they are so bloody expensive, I am losing interest
in the veg garden. It seems like a hobby for the rich these days.

Baz