Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered User

Default How to grow a clematis up a drainpipe?

Last year I planted a clematis outside my kitchen window. The aim was that it was to wind its way up a drainpipe. However it was only little when I planted it last year so I was able to tie it up with green twine on the first clip that holds the pipe into the wall.

However its flourishing this year and its already past that clip and even though Ive tried to tie it to the drainpipe a bit further up its got nothing to attach itself to and keeps slipping down or waving around in the wind.

Ive seen some semi circular metal trellis however that needs screwing to the wall and this house is rented so I cant do that. Can anyone recommend anything suitable to put on the pipe that would work please. Its right at the very front of my house (literally three feet from the footpath) so its got to be nice to look at too.

Thank you
Janice
Old 01-04-2011, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

JaniceH wrote:
However its flourishing this year and its already past that clip and
even though Ive tried to tie it to the drainpipe a bit further up its
got nothing to attach itself to and keeps slipping down or waving around
in the wind.

My clematis are all doing remarkably well atm.

Ive seen some semi circular metal trellis however that needs screwing to
the wall and this house is rented so I cant do that. Can anyone
recommend anything suitable to put on the pipe that would work please.
Its right at the very front of my house (literally three feet from the
footpath) so its got to be nice to look at too.

Nick's mum once bought me some platic ring things (which clip apart so you
can get your plants in and out of them, which you then put a bamboo cane or
similar through the middle of. Would something like that be useful?
(I don't know where she got it from, but I can probably find out)
Old 02-04-2011, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JaniceH
writes

Last year I planted a clematis outside my kitchen window. The aim was
that it was to wind its way up a drainpipe. However it was only little
when I planted it last year so I was able to tie it up with green twine
on the first clip that holds the pipe into the wall.

However its flourishing this year and its already past that clip and
even though Ive tried to tie it to the drainpipe a bit further up its
got nothing to attach itself to and keeps slipping down or waving around
in the wind.

Ive seen some semi circular metal trellis however that needs screwing to
the wall and this house is rented so I cant do that. Can anyone
recommend anything suitable to put on the pipe that would work please.
Its right at the very front of my house (literally three feet from the
footpath) so its got to be nice to look at too.

How about some sections of metal mesh fencing (say 2-4 inch mesh). Cut
and carefully bent round the pipe and secured at the back. either by
bending bits of the fence over or with some zip ties? Typically it is
available in Green plastic coated or galvanised.

Done neatly I don't think it would be very noticeable. You can get a
simialr plastic mesh for plant support, but the plastic sections of that
are much thicker so it would be more noticeable.

I'm thinking this sort of thing (first relevant link I found, this sort
of thing is available all over the place):

http://www.meshdirect.co.uk/Green-PVC-Coated-Garden-Fence-c-26.html
--
Chris French

Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/04/2011 21:13, JaniceH wrote:
[...]

This sort of thing maybe?

http://sutton-seeds.co.uk/Shop/Garde...ort+583046.htm