Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dates on commercial seed packets

Some of you may have seen my post a week or so ago,where I conducted
an experiment comparing commercial pea seed and my own saved pea
seed.When I save my own seed,I store in a paper bag or envelope and
note the date of harvest e.g Harvested 2010.
On commercial seed packets for example,written on the seed packet is
'Packeted year ending 2011' followed by 'Sow by 2012'.
This information is absolutely useless,as one has no idea when the
seed was harvested.They always quote EC regulations on seed
quality,and I suppose hope noone checks it out.
I have asked several of my fellow allotment holders of their
experience with sowing coomercial pea seed,and almost without
exception,they blame failure of their pea seed to germinate well on
their own gardening inexpeience-soil too cold ,wet or dry,seed sown
too deep or mice problems.
I have come across a couple of seed companies from the US some years
ago,who put on date of harvest,but noone does it these days.Perhaps
'Which' should run a campaign to persuade seed companies to be more
open with their seed dates.
Michael
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 4, 11:44*am, michael wrote:
[...]

There is a cure for this I have been trying this year. You grow the
peas in sand/compost mix in lengths of 4" gutter indoors and plant
them out by sliding out of the gutter.

I have grown the peas in the gutter, (very high germination rate). I
have yet to find out how the transplant operation goes. I will post
results.