Old 05-04-2011, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bracken

On Apr 5, 9:35*am, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 2011-04-05 08:19:55 +0100, harry said:

On Apr 4, 10:37 pm, Dave Hill wrote:
On Apr 4, 7:43 pm, harry wrote:

The question of how to get rid of this comes up frequently on
Gardeners Question time (Radio).
It amazes me how ignorant these so-called "experts" come up with crap
about mowing and FK what else.

The answer is simple.
Go out and buy "Asulox".
Spray in July (there is little/no apparent effect).
Next year, no bracken grows.

Simples. What's wrong with these dopey pillocks?
It's been out for twenty years to my knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Any "dopey pillock" who thinks anyone can go out and buy Asulox is
living in another world.
It is only available to professionals and is available in 5-litre
pack, which will treat 1/2 to 1 hectare, the cost is £90.
To purchase it you must have the relevant certificates, and preferably
a holding Number.
You then have to have the correct protective clothing and a suitable
sprayer.
For the amateur it is easier to use Glyphosate in July, bruising the
bracken before spraying and adding a few drops of washing up liquid to
the mix makes it more efficient, it will take a couple of years to do
the job, but at least you are legal.

You are talking ********. I have bought is in various places, no
questions asked. Vast quantities are use in hill farm areas. Can be
used in knapsack sprayer, tractor srayer or aerial.

I wouldn't touch it with a sterilised bargepole. Reading about it online
is enough to put anyone off if they care even slightly for their own
environment, never mind the larger one. Someone *in favour* of its
retention said "He said the decision reflected the fact that while the
scientific risk assessment for Asulam does reveal ‘major environmental
concerns’ with regards to its effect on birds and non-target terrestrial
plants, ‘the commercial reality is that we need more time to fully
develop alternatives for bracken control’."
http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/...gets-temporary...

NB
"major environmental concerns"

Bracken is a major environmental concern. *It turns areas into
monoculture, and is carcinogenic to cattle. *It is uncertain as to its
carcinogenic capability in humans.

I guess that it's a question of balance. *Which would be considered
worse in a particular situation *- bracken or Asulam?

--

Jeff- Hide quoted text -

Quite wrong. It turns areas into zero culture. It is poisonous to
every farm animal except pigs. And they don't thrive on it.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 07:59:16 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Apr 5, 2:26*pm, Pam Moore wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 11:43:27 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

The question of how to get rid of this comes up frequently on
Gardeners Question time (Radio).
It amazes me how ignorant these so-called "experts" come up with crap
about mowing and FK what else.

The answer is simple.
Go out and buy "Asulox".
Spray in July (there is little/no apparent effect).
Next year, no bracken grows.

Simples. What's wrong with these dopey pillocks?
It's been out for twenty years to my knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asulox

Have you never heard the word "organic"?
The "dopey pillcks" on GQT to whom you refer try to give organic
solutions to problems.
Given this dodgy chemical you advise and Chris's pulling method, I
know which I'd use, but of course not if I had a hillside of it. *Then
I'd call in professionals. *

Pam in Bristol

Organic ********. If agriculture was organic the world would be
starving.
Organic foods are for dopey middle class women with nothing else to
worry about.
Get a life. Without herbicides/insecticides most of the world would be
dead. I expect you want to ban modern medicine and drugs unless they
are organic?
Get in the real world, nitwit.
The "professionals" would use asulox.

I think you got out of bed the wrong side Harry.

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 harry wrote:

Janet wrote:

* * * If you really had a clue about Asulox, you'd know that it was
designated for total EU withdrawal in mid-March 2011. Three weeks ago it
was given a temporary reprieve; but it's pretty certain that withdrawal
will still happen in the near future making it a banned substance (for
farm use or any other).

* * * *One of the pressures for withdrawal of agricultural pest and
herbicides, is their illegal and/or feckless abuse by ignorant domestic
hobby users who flagrantly disregard manufacturers *instructions and all
the regulations laid down to protect waterways, aquatic life, and drinking
water supplies.

The instructions are there on the container for everyone to read.
Only a stupid cow jumps to the conclusions that I or anyone else is
distregarding the instructions.
If there is bracken in the catchment area of your drinking water you
are in fact at a higher risk of cancer.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/scien...300237,00.html
So why not get your facts right before shouting your silly mouth off.

Facts? Or just theories? Read this from the cancer help web site:

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/about-c...does-bracken-c
ause-cancer

Here are just two extracts from that page:

"There are some studies that have suggested there may be an association
between eating bracken and stomach cancer or cancer of the foodpipe
(oesophagus) but this is not clear."

and

"Studies have shown that bracken spores can cause cancer in mice. This
is a long way from saying they can cause cancer in humans. The mice were
given the spores to eat. And they were exposed to amounts that most of
us are not likely to come into contact with."

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 05-04-2011, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Gosh Harry, you really are one incredibly rude person. Being abusive
doesn't win you any arguments, it just gets you disregarded.

--
Kathy

Old 06-04-2011, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Pam in Bristol- Hide quoted text -

No, I just have an aborhance of half wits who jump to conclusions,
clearly have no proper education and have brains filledwith tripe that
is completely unsubstantiated.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Well, I think that about sums up the value of your contributions. *Not
only rude, idiotic and vulgar but also completely missing the point,
which is that it isn't professionals asking the question. I can't help
feeling that urg will get along just fine if your 'advice' is ignored
on quite a few subjects! *And while on the organic subject, do you
*know* how many boxes of organic food the highly successful Riverford
Farms sends out per week? *Look it up - you might learn something. *Not
exactly sums of money just for 'dopey middle class' women but enough to
make a yobby working class bloke envious, I suppose.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Well ignorance is a form of bliss.
I sooner be vulgar than stupid.
Having lost the argument you are resorting to abuse?
I imagine while there exists dopey halfwits that buy it, people will
continue to produce allegedly organic hogwash tosh.
It's a passing fad for the intellecuallly deperived. They are part
of the "Worried Well" syndrome.
It is in fact completely unsustainable.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 5, 8:14*pm, Malcolm wrote:
In article
,
harry writes

wrote:

[...]

What a wonderful example of ignorant bigotry.

Get a life. Without herbicides/insecticides most of the world would be
dead.

A lot of the world's wildlife is dead because of herbicides/pesticides,
e.g. over 99% of India's vultures in the last decade.

I expect you want to ban modern medicine and drugs unless they
are organic?

You really do come out with some remarkably silly remarks when someone
contradicts you, don't you?

Get in the real world, nitwit.
The "professionals" would use asulox.

But you were recommending it for amateurs, were you not?

--
Malcolm- Hide quoted text -

I don't know why you have suddenly brought up the subject of India
The root of the problem is to do with population. India is over
populated which is why they have to use excessive amounts of nasty
herbicides etc and the wildlife suffers.
Which is what I said inthe first place. Try to keep up.
A "professional" is just someone that knows and follows the rules
which are set out on the container.
There are a myriad of chemicals under my kitchen sink will kill you
quicker then Asulox if not used correctly.

I merely point out that various nitwits on here are advocating the
rejection of agricultural chemicals whilst particpating in other far
more polluting activities.

It's called hypocrasy in my book.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Kathy- Hide quoted text -

I see you must be one of those people who disregard unpalatable truth.

&BTW I was not the first o get abusive. (Discounting the TV
celebrities that seem to be worshipped around here by some) That was
certain of the woman round here. At least female names. They get very
shrill when proved wrong.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

And you are not one of that number? Since my message of yesterday
doesn't appear to have got through (at least, you didn't reply to my
point - or perhaps I've been kill-filed!), I'll repeat the gist of it
he

Old 06-04-2011, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/about-c...ons/does-brack...
ause-cancer

Here are just two extracts from that page:

"There are some studies that have suggested there may be an association
between eating bracken and stomach cancer or cancer of the foodpipe
(oesophagus) but this is not clear."

and

"Studies have shown that bracken spores can cause cancer in mice. This
is a long way from saying they can cause cancer in humans. The mice were
given the spores to eat. And they were exposed to amounts that most of
us are not likely to come into contact with."

David

--
David Rance * * * *writing from Caversham, Reading, UKhttp://rance.org.uk- Hide quoted text -

Well clearly you never read mine which is about the effects of bracken
on drinking water and statistical evidence of increased rates of
various cancers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/scien...300237,00.html

I'll repeat the gist of it here;-

Lars Holm Rasmussen, of the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural
University in Denmark, has measured extremely high levels of the
chemical, ptaquiloside (PTQ), in water from wells on Danish and
Swedish farms. In some cases the levels were 20,000 times higher than
the suggested tolerable levels for environmental carcinogens.

He believes that high levels of PTQ in water could explain hotspots of
gastric and oesophageal cancer all over the world. In the UK he thinks
that bracken may be responsible for an increased incidence of gastric
cancer during the 1980s and 1990s in Gwynedd in North Wales.

..

Old 06-04-2011, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 6, 3:24*pm, Malcolm wrote:
In article
,
harry writes

On Apr 5, 8:14 pm, Malcolm wrote:
In article
,
harry writes

wrote:

[...]

Because you were extolling the benefits of pesticides and I was just
informing you that there are disadvantages, too.

The root of the problem is to do with population. India is over
populated which is why they have to use excessive amounts of nasty
herbicides etc *and the wildlife suffers.

Yes, well, your ignorance shines through yet again. The chemical in
question is a veterinary drug being given to cattle.

Which is what I said inthe first place. *Try to keep up.

No, you didn't say anything like that. as tis is the first of your
messages in this thread that you have mentioned wildlife. You made false
claims about Azulox. You have been taken to task, and have reacted like
a spoilt child using childish names about the people who have corrected
you.

A "professional" is just someone that knows and follows the rules
which are set out on the container.

More nonsense.

There are a myriad of chemicals under my kitchen sink will kill you
quicker then Asulox if not used correctly.

So what?

I merely point out that various nitwits on here are advocating the
rejection of agricultural chemicals whilst particpating in other far
more polluting activities.

No, you reacted to being criticised by calling your critics childish
names. A typical reaction of someone who can't cope with having been
found out to be giving duff, indeed dangerous, advice.

It's called hypocrasy in my book.

What you are suffering from is called ignorant arrogance in mine.

--
Malcolm- Hide quoted text -

How is it duff/dangerous?
Old 06-04-2011, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 6, 6:41*pm, Janet wrote:
In article e4696b4f-45a3-4641-a2dc-
, says...

A "professional" is just someone that knows and follows the rules
which are set out on the container.

*So, reading the instruction label on your medication bottle and taking
them as directed, makes you a professional .. what.. pharmacologist?
doctor?

* *Janet

A professional patient in the case you mention.

I can use the medicine/herbicide professionally without having a clue
how it's made. I don't need a degree to recognise the problem
(bracken.)
Exactly what point are you trying to make?

Clearly a stupid anagram. Why do you dream up such drivel?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 6, 3:24*pm, Malcolm wrote:
In article
,
harry writes

On Apr 5, 8:14 pm, Malcolm wrote:
In article
,
harry writes

wrote:

[...]

Yes I saw the TV programme too. Relevance to Asulox? Do we have
vultures here? Do we leave animal carcasses about in this country?
I think you just move the goal posts when it suits you.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 harry wrote:

[...]

Oh good, my messages are getting out.

Yes, I did read yours. Of course I did.

I'll repeat the gist of it here;-

Lars Holm Rasmussen, of the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural
University in Denmark, has measured extremely high levels of the
chemical, ptaquiloside (PTQ), in water from wells on Danish and
Swedish farms. In some cases the levels were 20,000 times higher than
the suggested tolerable levels for environmental carcinogens.

He believes that high levels of PTQ in water could explain hotspots of
gastric and oesophageal cancer all over the world. In the UK he thinks
that bracken may be responsible for an increased incidence of gastric
cancer during the 1980s and 1990s in Gwynedd in North Wales.

Well, note that this is just one man's opinion. But also note that he
*thinks* that bracken *may* be responsible. That's a long way from
asserting it as fact. And because he "thinks" rather than "has proved"
that bracken may be responsible it doesn't in any way undermine what the
Cancer Help site is saying. In fact that site is possibly quoting Dr.
Rasmussen's theories and then discounting them.

No, there has been no conclusive evidence that bracken causes cancer in
humans.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 07-04-2011, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 6, 10:28*pm, David Rance
wrote:
On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 *harry wrote:

[...]

This is not just one man. The issue has come up on several occasions
from different sources over many years..
It was of interest to me because until recently we lived on a farm
totally surrounded by bracken and all our water came from a spring.
I used Asulox for twenty years.
So I suppose that makes me more expert on it's use than anyone here.

How to eradicate Bracken specialbeat Gardening 0 29-08-2013 10:16 PM
Bracken/Fern Colin Jackson United Kingdom 7 02-10-2011 10:26 PM
Bracken (again) hellomabel United Kingdom 9 21-04-2011 08:42 PM
Bracken Fern? Raphanus Plant Science 4 25-08-2006 08:40 PM
Bracken compost Franz Heymann United Kingdom 30 07-10-2003 09:47 PM