Old 17-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Registered User

Location: Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
We have a Hydrangea Avenue in this garden, planted 50 years ago and
added to by my husband. Until 3 years ago, all the Hydrangeas grew in
the shadow of 2 huge macrocarpa trees!! Very dappled shade indeed.
OTOH, in my early gardening days, one of my Hydrangea petiolaris failed
to flower because it didn't have enough water......
My one's problem could be lack of water due to fierce competition (see above). Thinking of moving it - but when would be the best time to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
As to everything else - hold on would be our advice and don't cut
anything out yet. Our Fuchsias are starting to show signs of
re-growth, even F. Hawkshead which took a bad beating last winter and
the one before. Our Euphorbias looked a bit sad but are coming back
pretty smartly, so just wait. It's still early days and this warm
spell has tricked a few of us into thinking things should be further on
but nights are still cold and today is quite chilly here in south Devon.
I agree about the fuchsia, but not sure about the others, particularly the euphorbia - in previous years it had started showing signs of growth by now, even after it had suffered from a frost. This year though it has shown nothing, so I've sacrificed it (after checking the rootball) and replaced it with another (and fresh compost). I don't know how old euphorbias get, but the old one was ten years old - could it have just been old age?

And the hebe is looking very sick (green leaves turning brown) - I'm tempted to try a kill-or-cure drastic prune and feed. Pity, it's one of my favourites.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 17-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomabel View Post
Wow, I'm new here and the length of the quoted replies is off-putting in the extreme, so I won't add to the confusion.

I just wanted to find out the best way to tackle my 1/4 acre patch of bracken (which hasn't started showing yet). So far as I can see, there are three options:

1. Leave the bracken to act as a mulch/weed suppressant, and remove it in small areas only as and when I actually want to plant something.

2. Spray the bracken with Asulox/Asulam or get a professional in to do so.

3. Pull up the stalks by hand.

Can someone give me simple pros and cons for each option? I'm after knowledge here, not shouting matches.

Thanks.

I'm only re-stating this query here, as people have very kindly answered my questions from the 'How to tackle dead or dying shrubs' thread here (not sure how that happened) - but no response to my bracken query. Any takers - or maybe I should set it up as a fresh thread?

How to eradicate Bracken specialbeat Gardening 0 29-08-2013 10:16 PM
Bracken/Fern Colin Jackson United Kingdom 7 02-10-2011 10:26 PM
Bracken (again) hellomabel United Kingdom 9 21-04-2011 08:42 PM
Bracken Fern? Raphanus Plant Science 4 25-08-2006 08:40 PM
Bracken compost Franz Heymann United Kingdom 30 07-10-2003 09:47 PM