Old 10-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Registered User

Default Veggies to grow on window sill?

Hi - I'm trying to get back into gardening, but I live in the city and all I have is space for potted plants on windowsills. I've got a couple herbs going - basil, oregano, mint. That's been nice, but I really want to get some veggies. Any recommendations for veggies that could survive this king of upbringing? Something that mostly extends upwards rather than outwards, and/or doesn't need a ton of space for roots?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/04/2011 14:44, ZenGwen wrote:
Hi - I'm trying to get back into gardening, but I live in the city and
all I have is space for potted plants on windowsills. I've got a couple
herbs going - basil, oregano, mint. That's been nice, but I really want
to get some veggies. Any recommendations for veggies that could survive
this king of upbringing? Something that mostly extends upwards rather
than outwards, and/or doesn't need a ton of space for roots?

Chives? They are quite hardy and come up year after year. Just clip off
what you want for salads, sandwiches etc.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , ZenGwen
writes

Hi - I'm trying to get back into gardening, but I live in the city and
all I have is space for potted plants on windowsills. I've got a couple
herbs going - basil, oregano, mint. That's been nice, but I really want
to get some veggies. Any recommendations for veggies that could survive
this king of upbringing? Something that mostly extends upwards rather
than outwards, and/or doesn't need a ton of space for roots?

Obviously potatoes, parsnips, caulies etc. are probably impractical
unless you have seriously sized window boxes, however there are quite a
few things, other than herbs, which can be grown. One of the most
practical could be rocket or one of these mixture of salad leaves which
come in all styles - hot, oriental, BBQ etc. Smaller type normal lettuce
also could do well. Also, if you have depth of, say, 8 ins, you could
grow some of the short cored carrots. Shallower?..... how about
radishes? Even a couple of the small, tumbler type tomatoes (although
picking them could be amusing).

I think you could do quite well if you planned it right - and the boxes
was not facing North. Good luck!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 18:17:09 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 10/04/2011 14:44, ZenGwen wrote:
Hi - I'm trying to get back into gardening, but I live in the city and
all I have is space for potted plants on windowsills. I've got a couple
herbs going - basil, oregano, mint. That's been nice, but I really want
to get some veggies. Any recommendations for veggies that could survive
this king of upbringing? Something that mostly extends upwards rather
than outwards, and/or doesn't need a ton of space for roots?

Chives? They are quite hardy and come up year after year. Just clip off
what you want for salads, sandwiches etc.

I'm sure radishes would do in a window box, and I have grown lettuce
in a trough (a packet of mixed varieties is more fun). Both give quick
results. You can get packets of mixed seed for an assortment of salad
leaves. Rocket. Land cress?

--
Mike.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Registered User

Thanks for the responses, folks! Chives and lettuce both sounds like fantastic ideas. Not such a fan of radishes though!

My windows face mostly East, maybe a little bit of North. This has been okay for herbs etc. so far. Hoping it'll do for veggies as well.

water on window sill mo Lawns 1 29-10-2006 02:03 PM
Window sill gardening Mark Blewett United Kingdom 44 06-08-2004 06:34 PM
[IBC] Window sill extender? Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 25-03-2003 06:32 PM
Window sill extender? Shireen Gonzaga Bonsai 0 24-03-2003 07:32 PM
was Bulb. Vaginatum now Humidity in the Window Sill Dave Sheehy Orchids 2 11-03-2003 07:57 PM