Old 22-04-2011, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vegetable Seeds

I wonder where people think the best price for vegetable seeds can be
had. I mentioned in another thread that I had found some cheaper
tomatoes, and was immediately accused of spamming and lying by a couple
of low-lifes. Well, I have no relationship with any organisation or
company whatsoever, I am an ordinary gardener who is interested in
buying packets of seeds at the best price.
Any tips please?

Old 22-04-2011, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Underhill" wrote in message
I wonder where people think the best price for vegetable seeds can be had.
I mentioned in another thread that I had found some cheaper tomatoes, and
was immediately accused of spamming and lying by a couple of low-lifes.
Well, I have no relationship with any organisation or company whatsoever, I
am an ordinary gardener who is interested in buying packets of seeds at the
best price.
Any tips please?

Any tips?

Keep posting.

Take NO notice of those who feel they know everything or feel that they
'own' the newsgroup

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 22-04-2011, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Anne Underhill wrote:
I wonder where people think the best price for vegetable seeds can be
had. I mentioned in another thread that I had found some cheaper
tomatoes, and was immediately accused of spamming and lying by a couple
of low-lifes. Well, I have no relationship with any organisation or
company whatsoever, I am an ordinary gardener who is interested in
buying packets of seeds at the best price.
Any tips please?

Look at Edwin Tucker's - you get more for your money.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-04-2011, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 18:56:29 +0100, Anne Underhill
wrote:

I wonder where people think the best price for vegetable seeds can be
had. I mentioned in another thread that I had found some cheaper
tomatoes, and was immediately accused of spamming and lying by a couple
of low-lifes. Well, I have no relationship with any organisation or
company whatsoever, I am an ordinary gardener who is interested in
buying packets of seeds at the best price.
Any tips please?

Look in Lidl. I've used their seed, and it's much cheaper than
anywhere else.

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-04-2011, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Underhill" wrote ...

I wonder where people think the best price for vegetable seeds can be
had. I mentioned in another thread that I had found some cheaper
tomatoes, and was immediately accused of spamming and lying by a couple
of low-lifes. Well, I have no relationship with any organisation or
company whatsoever, I am an ordinary gardener who is interested in
buying packets of seeds at the best price.
Any tips please?

One problem with using "cheaper" sources is that you often cannot get the
varieties you want. It's OK getting cheap seed but not when you want
something specific, for example we grow Thai Dragon and Inferno Chillies and
Ferline, Fantasio and Legend tomatoes out on our allotment and these seeds
come from specific suppliers. Nothing else will do so we have to pay the
price.
Even with other crops, for example our Sprouts, we have, over the years,
decided what varieties we like and therefore have to pay the price to get
the variety, same with potatoes, shallots, ......... it goes on.....

No good growing something that's cheap and that saved a few pence only to
regret it when it comes to the eating.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-04-2011, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

No good growing something that's cheap and that saved a few pence only to
regret it when it comes to the eating.

Time for a shameless plug:

www.seedsavers.org

They're not the cheapest seed source, but if you can spend a little extra
space to raise your own..... those sprouts are more effort, being
biennials, but you get a _lot_ of seed for your effort, and it lasts quite
a while.

Old 23-04-2011, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 22, 11:04*pm, Gary Woods wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
No good growing something that's cheap and that saved a few pence only to
regret it when it comes to the eating.

Time for a shameless plug: *

www.seedsavers.org

They're not the cheapest seed source, but if you can spend a little extra
space to raise your own..... *those sprouts are more effort, being
biennials, but you get a _lot_ of seed for your effort, and it lasts quite
a while.

All this talk of cheap seed,
Look at it another way, what do you actualy pay per seed?
It's the cheapest part of gardening.
More to the point often is how many seeds in a packet,
Do you want to pay for 1000 seeds if you only want 20 or 30 plants?
Even if you pay £5.00 for your cabbage seed, set that against 1
cabbage costing 50p or more, and you will see what I am getting at.
Old 23-04-2011, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I wonder where people think the best price for vegetable seeds can be
had. I mentioned in another thread that I had found some cheaper
tomatoes, and was immediately accused of spamming and lying by a couple
of low-lifes. Well, I have no relationship with any organisation or
company whatsoever, I am an ordinary gardener who is interested in
buying packets of seeds at the best price.
Any tips please?

Look in Lidl. I've used their seed, and it's much cheaper than
anywhere else.

Pam in Bristol

Netto was very cheap but it's not one I go to very often ...
I think they were 19p a packet but it was maybe 18 months or more ago.
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 23-04-2011, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/04/2011 15:52, mogga wrote:

Look in Lidl. I've used their seed, and it's much cheaper than
anywhere else.

Pam in Bristol

Netto was very cheap but it's not one I go to very often ...
I think they were 19p a packet but it was maybe 18 months or more ago.

Lidl here in France surprised me. I expected them to have cheap seeds
but they were typically equivalent of around £3 per packet for the
cheapest!

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 24-04-2011, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jim jim is offline

On 23/04/2011 08:44, Dave Hill wrote:

All this talk of cheap seed,
Look at it another way, what do you actualy pay per seed?
It's the cheapest part of gardening.
More to the point often is how many seeds in a packet,
Do you want to pay for 1000 seeds if you only want 20 or 30 plants?
Even if you pay £5.00 for your cabbage seed, set that against 1
cabbage costing 50p or more, and you will see what I am getting at.

ASDA have a 'value' salad leaves pack - 4 varieties for £1

Poundland have a variety of packs - 6 varieties for £1 including
peppers, chillies, herbs peas, beans amongst others.

Old 29-04-2011, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pam Moore wrote:
I wonder where people think the best price for vegetable seeds can be
had. I mentioned in another thread that I had found some cheaper
tomatoes, and was immediately accused of spamming and lying by a couple
of low-lifes. Well, I have no relationship with any organisation or
company whatsoever, I am an ordinary gardener who is interested in
buying packets of seeds at the best price.
Any tips please?

Look in Lidl. I've used their seed, and it's much cheaper than
anywhere else.

Go to a seed swap, such as at the Hampshire Potato Day, and you get loads
for almost-free!

I have about 20 types of tomato again, many of which I've never tried
before.