Old 23-04-2011, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heathers: should I be trimming them?

We put in a dozen heathers three years ago, in an effort to populate
part of the garden, and our over-riding aim was do everything possible
then to help them GROW, and grow BIG.

Most of them have done quite well, I think. But several of them are now
looking a bit straggly in their higher parts, so I'm wondering if I
should be trimming them.

Should I?

If so, by how much? And when is the best time of year to do it?

I took a pic of the "staggliest-looking" ones last night. You can see
it he
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...suntrimmed.jpg

Many thanks.

Eddy.

Old 23-04-2011, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:
Heathers are usually trimmed shortly after flowering, to cut off the
old flower heads and keep the plants compact. Use shears; quicker than
secateurs. New growth then comes from below what was the flower spike.
But I see no problem with trimming them now. It might mean that this
year's flowers are a bit late, but it won't be a disaster, and trim
them again in the Autumn, after the flowers have died.

Thanks, Chris.

I'm inclined to trim them in order to give them smooth flattish tops.
(I don't want to trim their width.)

If I just shear them in order to make them pleasant to look at, is that
OK? Of is there a recommended place to cut?

Eddy.

Old 23-04-2011, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 23, 6:59*pm, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 17:58:20 +0100, Eddy

wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:
Heathers are usually trimmed shortly after flowering, to cut off the
old flower heads and keep the plants compact. Use shears; quicker than
secateurs. New growth then comes from below what was the flower spike.
But I see no problem with trimming them now. It might mean that this
year's flowers are a bit late, but it won't be a disaster, and trim
them again in the Autumn, after the flowers have died.

Thanks, Chris.

I'm inclined to trim them in order to give them smooth flattish tops.
(I don't want to trim their width.)

If I just shear them in order to make them pleasant to look at, is that
OK? *Of is there a recommended place to cut?

Eddy.

Just shearing them over will be OK, but don't cut too far into old
woody growth. In the Autumn, try and cut just below the dead flower
spike, but that's a council of perfection. In reality a light shearing
will suffice.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales- Hide quoted text -

You could also top dress them with a peat/sand mix working it well
into the centre of the plants, 2 or 3 inches would be great.
Old 23-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
We put in a dozen heathers three years ago, in an effort to populate
part of the garden, and our over-riding aim was do everything possible
then to help them GROW, and grow BIG.

Most of them have done quite well, I think. But several of them are now
looking a bit straggly in their higher parts, so I'm wondering if I
should be trimming them.

Should I?

If so, by how much? And when is the best time of year to do it?

I took a pic of the "staggliest-looking" ones last night. You can see
it he
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...suntrimmed.jpg

Many thanks.

Eddy.
Hi Eddy, Yes, you should be trimming them, otherwise as you have already realised, they start to get straggly ! As a general rule, heathers should be trimmed immeadiately they finish flowering. As you have summer flowering varieties there, you should have clipped them last year but as you didnt, you should do it now and clip them back with a shears by about 1/3rd
lannerman
Old 24-04-2011, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris and Dave, many thanks.

Eddy.