Old 25-04-2011, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default ID please

I feel I should know the name of this but alas....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10508583/blue.jpg
Old 25-04-2011, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On 2011-04-25 16:57:25 +0100, bob said:

I feel I should know the name of this but alas....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10508583/blue.jpg

Centaurea montana - very pretty and a lovely blue. It's a cousin of the
cornflower.

- thanks Sacha, it's in a friend's garden - she'll be delighted to
know at last. You're right, a beautiful, deep rich blue. Can I
propagate this for myself?
Old 25-04-2011, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-25 16:57:25 +0100, bob said:

I feel I should know the name of this but alas....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10508583/blue.jpg

Centaurea montana - very pretty and a lovely blue. It's a cousin of the
cornflower.

- thanks Sacha, it's in a friend's garden - she'll be delighted to
know at last. You're right, a beautiful, deep rich blue. Can I
propagate this for myself?

No problem propagating. Just ask your friend for a "dig up plant" next
year. I planted one of these in one corner of the garden a couple of
years ago. This year it's growing happily all round the place. I don't
mind - it's a spring flowerer and dies back nicely as later stuff
comes on so however much of it there is it doesn't get in the way.
Old 25-04-2011, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:30:23 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

No problem propagating. Just ask your friend for a "dig up plant" next
year. I planted one of these in one corner of the garden a couple of
years ago. This year it's growing happily all round the place. I don't
mind - it's a spring flowerer and dies back nicely as later stuff
comes on so however much of it there is it doesn't get in the way.

thanks for reply Jake. Forgive my ignorance, but what is a 'dig up
plant'? You say next year, so I guess it's too late now and should be
in the dormant phase next year. Around february maybe?
Old 25-04-2011, 10:37 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
- thanks Sacha, it's in a friend's garden - she'll be delighted to
know at last. You're right, a beautiful, deep rich blue. Can I
propagate this for myself?
It's hard not to propagate it! I've just pulled up half a dozen plants. Usually I let it spread itself and let it seed where it will, but these plants were where I wanted to sow some veg seed.
__________________

Old 26-04-2011, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:37:05 +0000, kay
wrote:

bob;919005 Wrote:

- thanks Sacha, it's in a friend's garden - she'll be delighted to
know at last. You're right, a beautiful, deep rich blue. Can I
propagate this for myself?

It's hard not to propagate it! I've just pulled up half a dozen plants.
Usually I let it spread itself and let it seed where it will, but these
plants were where I wanted to sow some veg seed.

I'm taking this from one garden to another. Is there any risk to the
host plant in just digging out some of the existing plant (+ roots)
for transplanting?
Old 26-04-2011, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 08:51:43 +0100, Sacha wrote:

As Kay says, it sows itself quite happily so I wouldn't worry about
that. But you could always collect seed and scatter it around or sow
it in trays if you want to. But I don't thinkk I'd start messing about
with the host plant at this time of year, if I were you. Can you wait
until autumn or just buy another for yourself. It shouldn't be all
that expensive and then nothing's at risk!

- you're probably right, it's the 'getting something for nothing'
syndrome turning into a fetish.

I'll buy one.
Old 26-04-2011, 10:33 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Depends on how much of it your friend has. If she just has one plant, leave well alone. If she has lots, try gently exploring - you may be able to pull off a couple of bits with roots without disturbing the main plant. They don't throw out runners, but they do lie branches down along the soil which then root. The bits you take off will need a bit of coddling (don't let them dry out). I find plants I have propagated myself are more important to me, and plants I have received from friends give me a warm glow whenever I pass them in the garden.
__________________
Old 26-04-2011, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:52:19 +0100, bob wrote:

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:30:23 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

No problem propagating. Just ask your friend for a "dig up plant" next
year. I planted one of these in one corner of the garden a couple of
years ago. This year it's growing happily all round the place. I don't
mind - it's a spring flowerer and dies back nicely as later stuff
comes on so however much of it there is it doesn't get in the way.

thanks for reply Jake. Forgive my ignorance, but what is a 'dig up
plant'? You say next year, so I guess it's too late now and should be
in the dormant phase next year. Around february maybe?

If they let it go to seed rather than quickly deadheading, they'll
have a fgair number of new plants growing next year - get them to "dig
one" up for you. You could probably do it this year provided you keep
the roots moist and replant as quickly as possible - when you dig a
plant up, wrap the roots in wet newspaper and put in a carrier bag.
Water in well and keep watering for a while after replanting.
Old 26-04-2011, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:05:23 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

If they let it go to seed rather than quickly deadheading, they'll
have a fgair number of new plants growing next year - get them to "dig
one" up for you. You could probably do it this year provided you keep
the roots moist and replant as quickly as possible - when you dig a
plant up, wrap the roots in wet newspaper and put in a carrier bag.
Water in well and keep watering for a while after replanting.

- I think it's usually been ignored rather than dead-headed and
there's no sign of proliferation so far but I'll keep a covetous eye
out for new growth and/or seeds.

Old 26-04-2011, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:27:37 +0100, Janet wrote:

- you're probably right, it's the 'getting something for nothing'
syndrome turning into a fetish.

Perfectly normal gardening fetish :-) I would try slicing off a corner
of it with some root and transplanting now; it's almost unkillable.
I am still hacking off and shuffling stuff around the garden at this late
stage of spring, filling in gaps from the deceased, and potting up bits
promised to other people.

I'll buy one.

Be warned, once you start injecting cash direct into the garden you're
in serious damnger of longterm addiction.

Janet

- thanks for the chuckle, Janet. Yes, I may try taking a corner.