Old 27-04-2011, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default diy weedkiller - does it work?

Hello, all
I read on the internet that you can make weedkiller with vinegar,
water and washing-up liquid. I made some up and sprayed creeping
buttercup and dandelions with it yesterday. I think that i can see
them yellowing but it may be wishful thinking.
However, I am sceptical and would be grateful for any comments. Does
anyone know if this actually works?
many thanks
Chris

Old 27-04-2011, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/04/2011 16:57, chris wrote:
Hello, all
I read on the internet that you can make weedkiller with vinegar,
water and washing-up liquid. I made some up and sprayed creeping
buttercup and dandelions with it yesterday. I think that i can see
them yellowing but it may be wishful thinking.
However, I am sceptical and would be grateful for any comments. Does
anyone know if this actually works?
many thanks
Chris

I think that combination will just kill the aphids / greenfly on your
weeds and they will grow twice as fast as a result! :-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 27-04-2011, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
On 27/04/2011 16:57, chris wrote:
Hello, all
I read on the internet that you can make weedkiller with vinegar,
water and washing-up liquid. I made some up and sprayed creeping
buttercup and dandelions with it yesterday. I think that i can see
them yellowing but it may be wishful thinking.
However, I am sceptical and would be grateful for any comments. Does
anyone know if this actually works?
many thanks
Chris

I think that combination will just kill the aphids / greenfly on your
weeds and they will grow twice as fast as a result! :-)

--
David in Normandy.

I second that, David. Tried it years ago. Weedweeds seemed to thrive on
it !!

Margaret.

Old 27-04-2011, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/04/2011 16:25, David in Normandy wrote:
On 27/04/2011 16:57, chris wrote:
Hello, all
I read on the internet that you can make weedkiller with vinegar,
water and washing-up liquid. I made some up and sprayed creeping
buttercup and dandelions with it yesterday. I think that i can see
them yellowing but it may be wishful thinking.

Never believe everything you read on the net. There is a lot of garbage
advice available free online and worth every penny you paid for it.

This one is almost completely harmless, but there are some seriously
dangerous gardening recipes on the web that could get naive kitchen sink
chemists into serious difficulties. It is only a matter of time before
some idiot kills themselves with nicotine extract based on one of the
many insane recipes published on the web.

However, I am sceptical and would be grateful for any comments. Does
anyone know if this actually works?
many thanks
Chris

I think that combination will just kill the aphids / greenfly on your
weeds and they will grow twice as fast as a result! :-)

Pretty much on the ball. It will also kill caterpillars and most other
beneficial insects as collateral damage too. The weeds will definitely
grow more strongly as a result - any yellowing is due to more flowers!

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 27-04-2011, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 07:57:57 -0700 (PDT), chris
wrote:

Hello, all
I read on the internet that you can make weedkiller with vinegar,
water and washing-up liquid. I made some up and sprayed creeping
buttercup and dandelions with it yesterday. I think that i can see
them yellowing but it may be wishful thinking.
However, I am sceptical and would be grateful for any comments. Does
anyone know if this actually works?
many thanks
Chris

My mother use to make a weedkiller from salt and vinegar. The problem
was that it killed everything it touched on so it was only useful for
the most accurate spray.

Steve

--
Neural network applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old 28-04-2011, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/04/2011 11:01, Martin wrote:

wrote:

Hello, all
I read on the internet that you can make weedkiller with vinegar,
water and washing-up liquid. I made some up and sprayed creeping
buttercup and dandelions with it yesterday. I think that i can see
them yellowing but it may be wishful thinking.
However, I am sceptical and would be grateful for any comments. Does
anyone know if this actually works?
many thanks
Chris

My mother use to make a weedkiller from salt and vinegar. The problem
was that it killed everything it touched on so it was only useful for
the most accurate spray.

but worked a treat on fish and chips?

Must have done, never had any weeds on them. ;-)

Old 28-04-2011, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/04/2011 10:31, Martin wrote:

wrote:

Hello, all
I read on the internet that you can make weedkiller with vinegar,
water and washing-up liquid. I made some up and sprayed creeping
buttercup and dandelions with it yesterday. I think that i can see
them yellowing but it may be wishful thinking.
However, I am sceptical and would be grateful for any comments. Does
anyone know if this actually works?
many thanks
Chris

My mother use to make a weedkiller from salt and vinegar. The problem
was that it killed everything it touched on so it was only useful for
the most accurate spray.

but worked a treat on fish and chips?

Must have done, never had any weeds on them. ;-)

:-)

Just a bit battered in the wrong plaices?

Not any more Elf and safety has banned salt on chips!

Old 30-04-2011, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

but worked a treat on fish and chips?

Must have done.
I can't remember the last time I found weeds on my fish supper.
(teehee)

Baz
Old 30-04-2011, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 30, 1:16*pm, Baz wrote:
Martin wrote :

but worked a treat on fish and chips?

Must have done.
I can't remember the last time I found weeds on my fish supper.
(teehee)

Baz

Never had a weedy portion of fish?

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
How long does weedkiller stay "active"? mentalguy2004 United Kingdom 2 12-04-2005 10:52 AM
DIY CO2 does not start Nemo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 23 16-02-2004 06:44 PM
How does UV filter really work? BenignVanilla Ponds 7 04-04-2003 03:32 PM
Fence Post Protector does it work? has anybody used it? dp Gardening 7 12-02-2003 05:25 PM