Old 28-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered User

Location: UK
Default My very first 'green house'

I recently brought a plastic covered 4 tier greenhouse from a well known home value store and its CRAP!
I read the instructions, the plastic beams kept falling off so I taped them up then ripped it off and applied glue instead. Basically disaster.

I'm banning myself from that store and if there is a next time, I'm getting my father to assist me. I brought it thinking it should be easy to set up esp for someone like me. That heap of crap is going to the tip!

CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!

Rant over.

and I don;t have the space for a proper greenhouse.
Old 28-04-2011, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sultana Wahab wrote:

I recently brought a plastic covered 4 tier greenhouse from a well
known home value store and its CRAP!
I read the instructions, the plastic beams kept falling off so I taped
them up then ripped it off and applied glue instead. Basically
disaster.

I'm banning myself from that store and if there is a next time, I'm
getting my father to assist me. I brought it thinking it should be
easy to set up esp for someone like me. That heap of crap is going to
the tip!

CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!

Rant over.

and I don;t have the space for a proper greenhouse.

home value store? has it got a name?

--
Donnie
"**** the world, it's time to fight back"

Lambretta Series 2 186cc "The Shitter"
Lambretta LD 175cc "The Chopper"
Honda CB500R "Look out, Donnie's about!"
Old 29-04-2011, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 28, 11:00*pm, "Donnie" wrote:
Sultana Wahab wrote:

I recently brought a plastic covered 4 tier greenhouse from a well
known home value store and its CRAP!
I read the instructions, the plastic beams kept falling off so I taped
them up then ripped it off and applied glue instead. Basically
disaster.

I'm banning myself from that store and if there is a next time, I'm
getting my father to assist me. I brought it thinking it should be
easy to set up esp for someone like me. That heap of crap is going to
the tip!

CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!

Rant over.

and I don;t have the space for a proper greenhouse.

home value store? has it got a name?

--
Donnie
"**** the world, it's time to fight back"

Lambretta Series 2 186cc "The Shitter"
Lambretta LD 175cc "The Chopper"
Honda CB500R "Look out, Donnie's about!"- Hide quoted text -

Take it back and ask for your money back as it's not fit for purpose,
or contact your local trading standards officer
Old 29-04-2011, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sultana Wahab" wrote in message

I recently brought a plastic covered 4 tier greenhouse from a well known
home value store and its CRAP!

snippy

I have had two for a couple of years. Brilliant....wouldn't be without them.
Instructions?? What are they?
Pete C

Old 29-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Registered User

Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie[_2_] View Post
Sultana Wahab wrote:

[...]

- Yeah, Wilko.

...ahh, they're O.k. They have been good for other items I've brought for the garden but their mini greenhouse is still CRAP.

Old 29-04-2011, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sultana Wahab wrote in
:

I recently brought a plastic covered 4 tier greenhouse from a well known
home value store and its CRAP!
I read the instructions, the plastic beams kept falling off so I taped
them up then ripped it off and applied glue instead. Basically
disaster.

I'm banning myself from that store and if there is a next time, I'm
getting my father to assist me. I brought it thinking it should be easy
to set up esp for someone like me. That heap of crap is going to the
tip!

CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!

Rant over.

and I don;t have the space for a proper greenhouse.

Buy cheap, buy twice or thrice
If you can't afford to buy quality goods then just save up until you can
afford them. Hard, yes. A lesson I have learned many times when I was
younger.
It's tempting to 'borrow' from different funds for different projects but
once you get used to the idea it works. The light at the end of the tunnel
and when you get there is fantastic.

If you have your receipt for the (how shall we put it?) greenhouse? you can
return it as "not fit for purpose" and if you have trouble with your store
do not hesitate to contact Consumer Direct, and they will log your
complaint and refer you to Trading Standards.

Baz
Old 29-04-2011, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:

If you can't afford to buy quality goods then just save up until you can
afford them. Hard, yes. A lesson I have learned many times when I was
younger.

Well, I bought a cheapo greenhouse from Harbor Freight here (discount tools
etc; some good, some not so.
Served me well for a year, but the plastic cover (which they said not to
leave on over winter) disintegrated in a New York winter. The shelving,
which is pretty decent steel tubing framed, is going into my real
greenhouse, almost complete now, so I got my $US worth.

Old 29-04-2011, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sultana Wahab wrote:

'Donnie[_2_ Wrote:
;919357']Sultana Wahab wrote:
-

I recently brought a plastic covered 4 tier greenhouse from a well
known home value store and its CRAP!
I read the instructions, the plastic beams kept falling off so I
taped them up then ripped it off and applied glue instead. Basically
disaster.

I'm banning myself from that store and if there is a next time, I'm
getting my father to assist me. I brought it thinking it should be
easy to set up esp for someone like me. That heap of crap is going
to the tip!

CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!

Rant over.

and I don;t have the space for a proper greenhouse.-

home value store? has it got a name?

--

- Yeah, Wilko.

..ahh, they're O.k. They have been good for other items I've brought
for the garden but their mini greenhouse is still CRAP.

i bought one some weeks ago and its pretty perfect, and bought another
today, frankly im at a loss as to how you managed to do so much damage
putting it together?

Old 29-04-2011, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:

Sultana Wahab wrote in
:

[...]

Ummmm but it is fit for purpose???

As i say, i had no problem following the instructions and putting it
together so looks more like user error to me

Old 30-04-2011, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donnie" wrote in
:

Ummmm but it is fit for purpose???

It sounds like it isn't fit for purpose.

The OP has tried to repair it and that makes it non returnable, but in its
purchased state it would not hold up or stay assembled.

Baz

Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Registered User

Location: UK

- I do have the receipt and I’m sure the home value store will be happy to refund or exchange it.
For now, to cut it short, it’s now in father’s possession. My next visit I must remember to take a picture of the finished product. I’m sure my father has done a better job it of fixing it up and will use it well. I think it was just a wrong batch, hmm.
...The plastic green poles were just not long enough or too loose or I was having a bad moment hence the rant.

Thanks for your responses. I’m still a beginner and will get there eventually. Next greenhouse could be very small and a midget size just to start me off lightly. I’ve seen one at the very same store I was ranting about… no rush as I’ve been told the chillies can be grown indoors – yay!
best regards, S.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sultana Wahab wrote:
home value store? has it got a name?

- Yeah, Wilko.

Heh, I was going to ask if it was Wilkinsons. I think our mini greenhouse
thing came from them. NO problem with the legs falling out, can't get the
damned things back out cos they're jammed in so hard. We don 't use the
plastic cover, just the frame for staging in the proper greenhouse.

..ahh, they're O.k. They have been good for other items I've brought
for the garden but their mini greenhouse is still CRAP.

Their stuff is very hit and miss. A bit like Primark, I guess, where you
can buy a real bargain or a bit of tat with the seams all wonky and loose.

The really annoying thing is when they havea perfectly good item, then they
replace it with a cheap and nasty version, which is what happened to their
pull out washing line product. My mum bought me one a few years back, and
it served well for about 3 years, with a lot of use. Then after various
bits of plastic wore out and snapped (and after a few 'quick fix' solutions
gave up the ghost), so I bought a new one. The new one just never worked
right. The line itself stretched, and it slipped through the fastener, so
after a few hours your washing was lying on the floor!