Old 29-04-2011, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default wedding: what were those trees?

I hope you all enjoyed the ceremony as much as we did. I thought the
music stunning especially the gorgeous Paul Mealor motet. And the
couple looked sharpish.

Although we saw it in HD I was unable to ID the potted trees that lined
the central aisle. (The cameras were, perhaps understandably, focused
elsewhere). Should have been oaks perhaps, but didn't quite fit the
part. Can't believe they would go in for fakes... Did anyone spot what
they were?

-E
Old 29-04-2011, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:35:46 +0200, Emery Davis wrote:

I hope you all enjoyed the ceremony as much as we did. I thought the
music stunning especially the gorgeous Paul Mealor motet. And the
couple looked sharpish.

Although we saw it in HD I was unable to ID the potted trees that lined
the central aisle. (The cameras were, perhaps understandably, focused
elsewhere). Should have been oaks perhaps, but didn't quite fit the
part. Can't believe they would go in for fakes... Did anyone spot what
they were?

-E

Someone for the groom's dad to talk to.
Old 29-04-2011, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I hope you all enjoyed the ceremony as much as we did. I thought the
music stunning especially the gorgeous Paul Mealor motet. And the
couple looked sharpish.

Although we saw it in HD I was unable to ID the potted trees that lined
the central aisle. (The cameras were, perhaps understandably, focused
elsewhere). Should have been oaks perhaps, but didn't quite fit the
part. Can't believe they would go in for fakes... Did anyone spot what
they were?

-E

Maples I think

Steve

--
Neural network applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old 29-04-2011, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/29/2011 03:48 PM, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Although we saw it in HD I was unable to ID the potted trees that lined
the central aisle. (The cameras were, perhaps understandably, focused
elsewhere). Should have been oaks perhaps, but didn't quite fit the
part. Can't believe they would go in for fakes... Did anyone spot what
they were?

Maples I think

Heh. That would be ironic, as I am in a position to recognize the odd
maple or two. I wondered if they were field maples but the leaves (what
I could make out) didn't seem quite right and above all the colour was
wrong (and too shiny for A. campestre).

-E
Old 29-04-2011, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 04/29/2011 03:48 PM, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Although we saw it in HD I was unable to ID the potted trees that lined
the central aisle. (The cameras were, perhaps understandably, focused
elsewhere). Should have been oaks perhaps, but didn't quite fit the
part. Can't believe they would go in for fakes... Did anyone spot what
they were?

Maples I think

Heh. That would be ironic, as I am in a position to recognize the odd
maple or two. I wondered if they were field maples but the leaves (what
I could make out) didn't seem quite right and above all the colour was
wrong (and too shiny for A. campestre).

-E

The bride has ordered four tons of trees, including eight 6-meter high
maples for recreating the atmosphere of an English garden inside the
cathedral.

The trees were installed along the aisle of Westminster Abbey, and guests
will have to pass beneath them to take their places. The trees was placed in
pots created by Shane Connolly, the floral designer of the future princess.

According to royal sources, the idea was suggested by Shane Connelly as a
way of hiding the famous arches of the cathedral.

It is estimated that the entire process has cost £ 50,000.

The rest of the cathedral will be decorated with white and beige flowers.

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 29-04-2011, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/04/2011 15:06, 'Mike' wrote:
"Emery wrote in message
[...]

And still the archbishop looks like a homeless person. Should have at
least trimmed his eyebrows
Old 29-04-2011, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 29, 3:41*pm, stuart noble wrote:
On 29/04/2011 15:06, 'Mike' wrote:

"Emery *wrote in message
[...]

least trimmed his eyebrows- Hide quoted text -

Nobody was wearing seat belts. Why didn't any of those coppers sort
them out? :-)

I thought the minibuses looked a bit naff.
Old 29-04-2011, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/29/2011 04:41 PM, stuart noble wrote:
On 29/04/2011 15:06, 'Mike' wrote:
"Emery wrote in message
[...]

You should have seen him before... Good speaker though!

Well I shall be quite properly kicked out of the Maple Society. Field
Maples (or in this case Hedge Maples!) indeed. I shall claim I was
looking at a hornbeam.

I think they must have sprayed the leaves with some sort of product so
that they would look better on camera.

Google should have been my friend here, as there's lots of info (thanks
Mike) but somehow the idea didn't occur to me to look.

I wonder what will happen to the trees now, if they came out of the
ground the roots have been really chopped, and they may well perish.

-E
Old 29-04-2011, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 29, 4:01*pm, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 04/29/2011 03:48 PM, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Although we saw it in HD I was unable to ID the potted trees that lined
the central aisle. *(The cameras were, perhaps understandably, focused
elsewhere). *Should have been oaks perhaps, but didn't quite fit the
part. *Can't believe they would go in for fakes... Did anyone spot what
they were?

Maples I think

Heh. *That would be ironic, as I am in a position to recognize the odd
maple or two. *I wondered if they were field maples but the leaves (what
I could make out) didn't seem quite right and above all the colour was
wrong (and too shiny for A. campestre).

*according to press, six "English field maples" and two hornbeams.

* Janet- Hide quoted text -

I think you will find that the trees were container grown. After the
wedding, the other flowers and plants will be left at the church until
May 6 for the public to view. After that the trees will be taken to
Highgrove, Charles’s residence in western England.
The couple hope that other cut plants and flowers will be donated to
charities or re-planted.
Old 29-04-2011, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-29 14:35:46 +0100, Emery Davis said:

I hope you all enjoyed the ceremony as much as we did. I thought the
music stunning especially the gorgeous Paul Mealor motet. And the
couple looked sharpish.

Although we saw it in HD I was unable to ID the potted trees that lined
the central aisle. (The cameras were, perhaps understandably, focused
elsewhere). Should have been oaks perhaps, but didn't quite fit the
part. Can't believe they would go in for fakes... Did anyone spot what
they were?

-E

I saw somewhere that they were described as 'field maples'. It was a
lovely touch and they will now be planted at Highgrove, aparently. The
idea was to complement and echo the vaulting and arches of the Abbey and
to emphasise the couple's love of the countryside.
--
Sacha

Do keep up and read previous postings ;-((

Old 29-04-2011, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/04/2011 15:06, 'Mike' wrote:
"Emery wrote in message
[...]

There's a place that does trees in containers. They have probably been
earmarked for another bash in London at the end of May...

Down Chelsea way.
--
Phil Cook
Old 29-04-2011, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 07:45:11 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

Nobody was wearing seat belts. Why didn't any of those coppers sort
them out? :-)

No tax discs either.

I thought the minibuses looked a bit naff.

They should have been made to walk.

Steve

Old 29-04-2011, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Nobody was wearing seat belts. Why didn't any of those coppers sort
them out? :-)

Non were speeding, so their Zap Guns were not registering

No tax discs either.

I hope you took their numbers and are going to report them. Did you take a
photo? Do you think their will be enough evidence? ;-))

I thought the minibuses looked a bit naff.

They should have been made to walk.

But dhhhhaaaarrrrrrling, my shoes ;-((

Old 29-04-2011, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/29/2011 05:16 PM, Dave Hill wrote:
On Apr 29, 4:01 pm, Janet wrote:

[]
according to press, six "English field maples" and two hornbeams.

Janet- Hide quoted text -

Not much to distinguish an English one from a French one. Must be a
plot.

I think you will find that the trees were container grown. After the
wedding, the other flowers and plants will be left at the church until
May 6 for the public to view. After that the trees will be taken to
Highgrove, Charles’s residence in western England.
The couple hope that other cut plants and flowers will be donated to
charities or re-planted.

I expect you're right. There is of course a call for such large
container grown specimens, for flat gardens that want to look full right
away, but I don't think I've seen such a large field maple in a
container before. (It's a bit banal for most people willing to shell
out for mature container trees). Anyway I've already demonstrated I
don't know much about it... :/

Nice to hear they will end up at Highgrove.

I wonder what the cultivar was, or if they just used the species. There
is one called "Queen Elizabeth" which has rounded lobes (I think these
did too) but ironically it is an American introduction.

Or possibly the Dutch selection "Elsrijk", which is very popular and
widely available. Also has darker foliage than the species.

But of course neither is British! In fact I just looked and there is
no cultivar of British origin that qualifies (possible exception of
"William Caldwell") so we'd better hope these are species trees.

-E
Old 30-04-2011, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/04/2011 15:06, 'Mike' wrote:
"Emery wrote in message
[...]

"They" did say that the trees are to be planted at Highgrove. Will
Charles pay for them and the labour charges I wonder!

Pam in Bristol