Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pea Seed Just Rot

My first year of vegetable gardening I put mangetout seeds into the soil
and got a lovely crop.
But nowadays germination is slow and never eventually exceeds 40%;
examination of the misses turns up brown rotten peas.
So this year I sowed into pots and put in a propagator - nice warm soil so
should to well? But same result.
Anyone having same problem or better luck?
DAvy
Old 01-05-2011, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Davy wrote:
My first year of vegetable gardening I put mangetout seeds into the soil
and got a lovely crop.
But nowadays germination is slow and never eventually exceeds 40%;
examination of the misses turns up brown rotten peas.
So this year I sowed into pots and put in a propagator - nice warm soil so
should to well? But same result.
Anyone having same problem or better luck?

Umm, I'm not sure what temperature it is, but I believe peas actually don't
like it very warm and actually stop germinating when they reach a certain
temp. Alternately, could be that your seed that you're using have been
damaged in some way, if it's all coming from the same batch?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote

My first year of vegetable gardening I put mangetout seeds into the soil
and got a lovely crop.
But nowadays germination is slow and never eventually exceeds 40%;
examination of the misses turns up brown rotten peas.
So this year I sowed into pots and put in a propagator - nice warm soil so
should to well? But same result.
Anyone having same problem or better luck?

For the first time we soaked our peas for 24 hours and this year got a very
good germination such that we haven't had since we kept our own seed. It is
amazing how they swell up so you do need a big bowl or better, a bucket.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-05-2011, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Davy" wrote

My first year of vegetable gardening I put mangetout seeds into the
soil and got a lovely crop.
But nowadays germination is slow and never eventually exceeds 40%;
examination of the misses turns up brown rotten peas.
So this year I sowed into pots and put in a propagator - nice warm
soil so should to well? But same result.
Anyone having same problem or better luck?

For the first time we soaked our peas for 24 hours and this year got a
very good germination such that we haven't had since we kept our own
seed. It is amazing how they swell up so you do need a big bowl or
better, a bucket.

Soaking makes a huge difference and this year being a dry one goes for
broad beans, runner beans, french b... and so on.

We all need to be using waste water now. I mean bath water. shower water
and anything we usually let run. At least here in N.Lincs. where we are
bone dry.

Baz
Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 1, 2:20*pm, Davy wrote:
My first year of vegetable gardening I put mangetout seeds into the soil
and got a lovely crop.
But nowadays germination is slow and never eventually exceeds 40%;
examination of the misses turns up brown rotten peas.
So this year I sowed into pots and put in a propagator - nice warm soil so
should to well? But same result.
Anyone having same problem or better luck?
DAvy

I grow my peas in the conservatory in a length of plastic gutter, get
better than 95% germination. It takes about four days for them to
appear. I plant out when they are about 4" high by sliding out of the
end of the gutter into a pre-prepared gulley pulled out with the hoe.
I use a 50/50 mix of sand and compost in the gutter. You need to
watch the watering, not to let dry out or get too wet.

Peas don't like cold wet ground, you have been planting too early.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 1 May 2011 13:32:27 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On May 1, 2:20*pm, Davy wrote:
[...]

Our problem is slugs and snails. I'm blaming the slugs too but it's
the dead empty shells I find since I've put down pellets.
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
Where to buy bulk Sweet Pea seed? Apex_off_Davis North Carolina 0 24-02-2004 07:07 PM
Where to buy bulk Sweet Pea seed? Apex_off_Davis North Carolina 0 24-02-2004 07:00 PM
snap pea seed poking out of the dirt?? DigitalVinyl Edible Gardening 10 17-05-2003 09:56 PM