Old 02-05-2011, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Default Thornless rose ID

Sorry I can't show you a photograph, but yesterday in the well-kept
but still otherwise flowerless rose garden at Warwick Castle I saw a
medium-tall rose in full flower rambling through some sort of cherry
tree. It had clusters of one-inch-wide scentless fully double rosette
blooms in a deep cream shade. The small foliage was of a fresh green
colour; and the plant was completely thornless. A passing gardener
didn't know what it was.

A variety of R. banksiae, perhaps? Is R.banksiae thornless, or does it
come in thornless varieties? Or what?

(The said gardener was chatty, and recounted how when one visitor had
asked him for a cutting of something, he'd replied "Of course, madam!
Shall we use the secateurs you've got in your bag?" I truthfully swore
I didn't have so much as a Swiss Army knife about me, but my daughter
rather let the side down by saying "That's not like him!")

--
Mike.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 2011-05-02 20:46:38 +0100, Mike Lyle said:

[...]

We have R. banksiae lutea growing and flowering like mad outside our
bedroom atm but that's very definitely yellow and so is the R. banksiae
lutescens which we have on a pole, struggling to recover from its
winter bashing and flowering sparsely. But there's Rosa banksiae alba
plena which is a sort of creamy white double flower and Rosa banksiae
normalis but that's single flowered and slightly scented.

Thanks, Sacha and Charlie. A banksiae var or hybrid, then: I assume
the thornlessness is normal, as neither of you remarked on it.
Valuable to have such an early profuse-flowering rose, scent or no
scent.

--
Mike.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 2011-05-02 20:46:38 +0100, Mike Lyle said:

[...]

It is indeed a lovely thing and pretty much evergreen as well as
thornless, but before you think it has no faults I seem to remember in
the Guiness book of records under "worlds largest rose" that it was a
banksiae rose in Arizona!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Thornless climbing rose to grow in container Alla Bezroutchko[_2_] United Kingdom 19 23-02-2007 11:24 AM
Thornless rose PatC Roses 2 31-10-2004 05:13 AM
Thornless Roses tonyblackpool Roses 3 06-08-2003 01:02 AM
Thornless roses Greenie LeBrun Roses 15 12-06-2003 03:20 PM
Compte de Chambord (was:Thornless roses) saki Roses 0 06-05-2003 02:21 AM