Old 08-05-2011, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default rain

we had a bit yesterday a.m but now we are getting serious big rain now here
in leics. as i speak.
it's throwing it down

tina

Old 08-05-2011, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-05-08 00:59:18 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

we had a bit yesterday a.m but now we are getting serious big rain now here
in leics. as i speak.
it's throwing it down

tina

And again here last night, though it's breezy & sunny today. I really
hope it's done the gardens some good! Anyone else still in a total
drought?

Yes us in Zuid Holland. It was a very red sky in the morning
shepherd's warning dawn, but it is clear now and still no sign of
rain.

Same here. It's ****ed a bit but the thunder showers landed all around,
none here. Out after moles yesterday, the ground is like dust. Total
of 5 mm out of the last week's work.

-E
Old 08-05-2011, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-05-08 00:59:18 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

we had a bit yesterday a.m but now we are getting serious big rain now here
in leics. as i speak.
it's throwing it down

tina

And again here last night, though it's breezy & sunny today. I really
hope it's done the gardens some good! Anyone else still in a total
drought?

Yes us in Zuid Holland. It was a very red sky in the morning
shepherd's warning dawn, but it is clear now and still no sign of
rain.

Same here. It's ****ed a bit but the thunder showers landed all around,
none here. Out after moles yesterday, the ground is like dust. Total
of 5 mm out of the last week's work.

-E

The rain we had on Friday and Saturday nights was the first here in
Keynsham since April 4th, according to a fellow allotmenteer.

Pam in Bristol
Old 08-05-2011, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-05-08 00:59:18 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

Whenever I see or hear Keynsham, I always think, "Spelt K.E.Y.N.S.H.A.M"
Does that date me and what happened to him?

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 8 May 2011 14:00:57 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

.. .

On 2011-05-08 00:59:18 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

That does date you and he's long dead. His former house is still
there but converted into flats, having been hotel and old people's
home. People say "how do you spell that?" rather than "I know how to
spell that!" The house was called Infra Grange.
For anyone too young to have listened to Radio Luxembourg, he
advertised his football pools sceme every night.

Pam in Bristol

Old 08-05-2011, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2011-05-08 00:59:18 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

we had a bit yesterday a.m but now we are getting serious big rain now here
in leics. as i speak.
it's throwing it down

tina

And again here last night, though it's breezy & sunny today. *I really
hope it's done the gardens some good! *Anyone else still in a total
drought?

Yes us in Zuid Holland. It was a very red sky in the morning
shepherd's warning dawn, but it is clear now and still no sign of
rain.

http://www.buienradar.nl/tekst.aspx?tekst=24uursays some at midnight
tonight.

Wish we could send some your way for your sakes. *The wind is now
firmly in the SW, so we'll probably get more rain again some time today
or tonight. *I must say that it's amazing how quickly this has 'greened
up' the garden.

If you have a bit spare after helping Martin, please send it my way!
The weather here cannot make up its mind. At 5.30 this morning, the
front path was wet. By 7.30 it was dry so there wasn't that much rain
overnight. Since then a 2 minute shower has been it. We were supposed
to have thunderstorms today. In areas of borders that I have yet to
replant, I can see the top of the soil clearly drying, despite there
being little sun or wind. I'm going to try cleaning some more windows
again!

Though looking at the sky across Swansea Bay towards Dave Hill it
looks like he might have been more fortunate with precipitation,
despite being only about 20 miles away from me (as the car drives).- Hide quoted text -

To date we have had 1.1 inches of rain and the cracks are closing up,
but you can see where I watered out the field and where it didn't get
enough.

On 2011-05-08 00:59:18 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

Pam in Bristol- Hide quoted text -

And his name was Horace Cyril Batchelor (22 January 1898 – 8 January
1977) was famous in the UK during the late 1950s and early 1960s as an
advertiser on Radio Luxembourg. He advertised a way to win money by
predicting the results of football matches, sponsoring programmes on
Radio Luxembourg. His spelling of Keynsham, a town in western England
where he operated, made it famous.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 8 May 2011 11:07:08 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

To date we have had 1.1 inches of rain and the cracks are closing up,
but you can see where I watered out the field and where it didn't get
enough.

You lucky bugger! I left an empty coffee mug on a patio table
yesterday. Found it this evening while watering. It had about a
quarter inch of water in it.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2011-05-08 00:59:18 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

We've now got quite stroong winds, so those will undo a lot of the good
the rain did. *I feel sorry for the birds who get lashed with rain one
minute and shaken about like a jelly in a high wind the next.

The cat needed hosing down, serves him right for not waking up when
the skies opened.

And then he needed hosing down?!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

In dry weather the grass should be left longer than when it's growing
well.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2011-05-08 22:33:32 +0100, Martin said:

On 2011-05-08 00:59:18 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

we had a bit yesterday a.m but now we are getting serious big rain now here
in leics. as i speak.
it's throwing it down

tina

And again here last night, though it's breezy & sunny today. *I really
hope it's done the gardens some good! *Anyone else still in a total
drought?

Yes us in Zuid Holland. It was a very red sky in the morning
shepherd's warning dawn, but it is clear now and still no sign of
rain.

http://www.buienradar.nl/tekst.aspx?tekst=24uursays some at midnight
tonight.

Wish we could send some your way for your sakes. *The wind is now
firmly in the SW, so we'll probably get more rain again some time today
or tonight. *I must say that it's amazing how quickly this has 'greened
up' the garden.

Our lawn is going brown, a week ago it was still bright green.

There was a pocket cartoon in the Torygraph the other day - a man was
looking out of the window saying "I don't know whether to mow the lawn
or set fire to it". *Sums it up, I think!

My attitude is to do nothing to the lawn, when it is hot and dry, but
my wife can't resist giving the lawn a close shave.

I'm inclined to agree that it's better left to grow a bit - if it can -
and shade itself!

When it is really hot and dry the grass stops growing and goes to
seed.

But that seems to argue that it's been allowed to grow quite a lot
before being cut? *Our lawn grass never gets to that stage. *The field
grass is usually cut when someone gets round to it but almost always
before it can flower and seed.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Shame on you Sacha,
Field grass as you put it is cut green and young for silage, but for
the best hay it should have flowered and should contain a good amount
of seed to give the most feed.
I remember being shown how to pull the grass stems, if they pulled
from their sheath witrhout breaking then the grass was ready for
cutting for hay.
I know that with so much being cut by contractors now it is a bit more
when they can fit you in.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes

On 2011-05-08 00:59:18 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

Cutting too close is probably the most common mistake when it comes to
lawns.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha