Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedge from just simple cuttings

Someone wants to make a simple fast 'year-round' hedge screen (just about
two metres high or a bit less) and is wondering what would make some kind of
hedge simply from sticking cuttings in the ground.

Was amazed some time ago when someone put some completely shaved of bark and
chopped off, thin tree trunks in the ground as fence posts and after a
little while shoots appeared up and down them.

So i'm gussing some cuttings can 'more or less' just be stuck in the ground
to produce a hedge screen. But what kind of plants should i take such
cuttings from? Thanks.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/05/2011 12:03, john ryan wrote:
Someone wants to make a simple fast 'year-round' hedge screen (just about
two metres high or a bit less) and is wondering what would make some kind of
hedge simply from sticking cuttings in the ground.

Was amazed some time ago when someone put some completely shaved of bark and
chopped off, thin tree trunks in the ground as fence posts and after a
little while shoots appeared up and down them.

So i'm gussing some cuttings can 'more or less' just be stuck in the ground
to produce a hedge screen. But what kind of plants should i take such
cuttings from? Thanks.

Pyracanthus works very well from cuttings stuffed in the ground. I've
made some free hedges with those. Another free hedge is to collect the
hips off some rosa rugossa and plant them in pots. After a year you'll
have some nice sized seedlings to make a hedge with. I've done that too.
Rosa rugossa makes a fantastic colourful and heavily scented hedge.
Interestingly by growing the rose hedge from seed the plants haven't
come true and there is a mixture of white flowers, deep pink flowers
and varying numbers of petals. Very attractive.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/10/2011 02:18 PM, David in Normandy wrote:
[...]

Interesting, I'll have to try that with the pyracanthas. Do you take
the cuttings in fall or winter?

I've got a nice big white Rosa rugosa that was started this way too.

Have also succeeded starting plants with Laburnum and common Poplar by
sticking cuttings in ground in winter.

-E
Old 10-05-2011, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/05/2011 16:04, Emery Davis wrote:
[...]

I take the pyracanthas cuttings in fall. The stems for cuttings need to
be a bit less than pencil thickness. They fail to root if the cuttings
are too thin or too thick. Keep them reasonably well watered so they
don't dry out in hot sun, but other than that the success rate is around
80 - 90%.
I take cuttings around 6 to 8 inches long and strip off all the lower
leaves and any berries and plant them deeply so only an inch is above
ground. I don't know how the "experts" do it, but that works well for me.

Haven't tried laburnum or poplar.

Someone once mentioned on here that rosa rugosa roots well from cuttings
in Autumn, but personally I think growing them from seed is more
interesting, plus you get the extra variety. I've always taken seeds
from the deep pink ones.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john ryan" wrote in message
Someone wants to make a simple fast 'year-round' hedge screen (just about
two metres high or a bit less) and is wondering what would make some kind
of hedge simply from sticking cuttings in the ground.

Was amazed some time ago when someone put some completely shaved of bark
and chopped off, thin tree trunks in the ground as fence posts and after a
little while shoots appeared up and down them.

So i'm gussing some cuttings can 'more or less' just be stuck in the
ground to produce a hedge screen. But what kind of plants should i take
such cuttings from? Thanks.

I have been sticking Laurel cuttings in the ground and several have taken.
All I have done is picked likely looking bits when I have cut the existing
Laurel hedge and poked them in.

If a little more care was taken with the time of year, preparation of the
ground, and preparation of the cutting a lot more would probably survive.

Mike

Old 12-05-2011, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-05-10 11:03:33 +0100, "john ryan" said:

Someone wants to make a simple fast 'year-round' hedge screen (just about
two metres high or a bit less) and is wondering what would make some kind
of
hedge simply from sticking cuttings in the ground.

Was amazed some time ago when someone put some completely shaved of bark
and
chopped off, thin tree trunks in the ground as fence posts and after a
little while shoots appeared up and down them.

So i'm gussing some cuttings can 'more or less' just be stuck in the
ground
to produce a hedge screen. But what kind of plants should i take such
cuttings from? Thanks.

Willow will do that and can be woven to make a hedge/fence so that, even
without leaves, it's almost impossible to see through it clearly. My
husband did just this when he trimmed willows elsewhere in our garden. He
stuck the cuttings into the ground around a pond here and over about 4
years, it's grown into a substantial hedge. BUT as you can see from the
photos, it does need regular trimming or weaving in to make it higher and
stronger. http://i56.tinypic.com/no7drt.jpg
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Willow logs are used by the Environment Agency to faclitate repairs to
eroded riverbanks.
vey effective. A log just left on the ground will sprout copiously.

Bill

Old 12-05-2011, 11:37 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grey View Post
Willow logs are used by the Environment Agency to faclitate repairs to
eroded riverbanks.
vey effective. A log just left on the ground will sprout copiously.
But within a few years they grow into trees, and a few years after that they topple over into the river. Unless you trim them. They're not low maintenance.
__________________
Old 15-05-2011, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

Bill Grey;921178 Wrote:

Willow logs are used by the Environment Agency to faclitate repairs to

eroded riverbanks.
vey effective. A log just left on the ground will sprout copiously.

But within a few years they grow into trees, and a few years after that
they topple over into the river. Unless you trim them. They're not low
maintenance.

--
kay

Your observations are noted, however I respect and prefer to believe the
Environment Agency people know what they are doing.

Bill

Old 17-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered User

Location: United Kingdom

I don't know if you'd count this as a hedge as such but it's certainly working for me. I collect Buddlejas and have been sticking non flowering small branches in the ground in autumn down the side of the low fence in my back garden. Some I've grown as small "trees" by stripping off the lower branches as they appear and some I've left as bushy shrubs. The leaves mostly drop in winter but as I'm not sitting out in the garden then, or using it as another room to entertain in, I don't mind the lack of privacy then and the many bees and butterflies visiting in the summer more than make up for the bareness in winter. And the flowers are just beautiful I am very excited that the RHS has brought out a new one this summer - it looks like it's pink and butterscotch - can't wait until they're on sale ! One is going to the right of the front door and will be grown as a small tree.

I like the idea of collecting rosehips and planting them and will definitely try that this year. Thanks for the tip.
Old 17-05-2011, 12:50 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grey View Post
Your observations are noted, however I respect and prefer to believe the
Environment Agency people know what they are doing.
I would suggest that what I said in no way contradicts what you say about the Environment Agency practice, since you said nothing about the maintenance. I also know what I am doing.
__________________

Old 18-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Registered User

Location: United Kingdom

That's very kind of you to say so, Sacha. One day , I'll get round to making something for my own garden.

Those new Buddleia are on sale now - checked yesterday -so have ordered 3 (greedy) and THINK I've found suitable spots for the other 2...
Old 20-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Registered User

Location: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
On 2011-05-18 11:05:22 +0100, islaygardener
said:

'Sacha[_4_ Wrote:
;921896']On 2011-05-17 12:13:07 +0100, islaygardener
said:
-

[...]

I think the Buddleia idea is a good one but I think your glass is
terrific. I had a quick look and it's jewel-like and quite beautiful.

--
Sacha
'Buy plants online, including rare and exotic plant varieties from Hill
Buy plants online, including rare and exotic plant varieties from Hill House Nursery)
South Devon

That's very kind of you to say so, Sacha. One day , I'll get round to
making something for my own garden.

Those new Buddleia are on sale now - checked yesterday -so have ordered
3 (greedy) and THINK I've found suitable spots for the other 2...

What's the name of that one? Sounds very pretty. When I'm rich and
famous (don't hold your breath) I'll commission a glass panel. I would
love a seascape.
--
Sacha
Buy plants online, including rare and exotic plant varieties from Hill House Nursery
South Devon
Hi again Sacha -The new buddleja is simply called bi-colour - I go mine from the RHS website. Gardening Express have got bigger plants but at treble the price.

I made a panel for a garden centre 5 years ago - it held up well and has now been moved to the clients restaraunt ( her latest venture). My brief was to cheer up a tall gate that had to be permanently locked so I put a mirror on it and then hung an abstract panel in blues' greens, touch of brown and textured clears over it.

Burning hedge cuttings etc Fredxxx United Kingdom 2 07-08-2016 03:06 PM
Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
Hedge cuttings? jjdecay Gardening 1 15-05-2007 07:30 PM
Does anyone know when the best time is to take privet hedge cuttings. tom United Kingdom 4 23-05-2006 08:30 PM
Beech Hedge - Pruning and Cuttings David United Kingdom 1 16-04-2003 09:32 AM