Old 13-05-2011, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default PV panels and Feed inTariff.

I have started a group about PV panels if anyone has them or is
considering getting them. Please join & recount experiencse/
questions.
Old 13-05-2011, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 5:20*pm, harry wrote:
I have started a group about PV panels if anyone has them or is
considering getting them. *Please join & recount experiencse/
questions.

Damn. Forgot to put the link in! ;-0
http://groups.google.com/group/feed-.../topics?start=
Old 13-05-2011, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On May 13, 5:20 pm, harry wrote:
I have started a group about PV panels if anyone has them or is
considering getting them. Please join & recount experiencse/
questions.

Damn. Forgot to put the link in! ;-0
http://groups.google.com/group/feed-.../topics?start=

:-((

This looks to me as if someone is advertising something on urg. Nobody EVER
does that do they?

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 14-05-2011, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 5:27*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On May 13, 5:20 pm, harry wrote:

I have started a group about PV panels if anyone has them or is
considering getting them. Please join & recount experiencse/
questions.

Damn. Forgot to put the link in! *;-0http://groups.google.com/group/feed-in-tariff-uk-pv-panels/topics?start=

:-((

This looks to me as if someone is advertising something on urg. Nobody EVER
does that do they?

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

No advertising. Just for information exchange. I have one myself and
lots are popping up all over the place including taking up quite large
areas of peoples gardens. This due to the high prices on gets for
electrcicty generated.
They are not without interesting problems
Old 14-05-2011, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/05/2011 17:21, harry wrote:
On May 13, 5:20 pm, wrote:
I have started a group about PV panels if anyone has them or is
considering getting them. Please join& recount experiencse/
questions.

Damn. Forgot to put the link in! ;-0
http://groups.google.com/group/feed-.../topics?start=

Looks genuine enough and not selling anything so please don't give the
OP too hard a time.

People who are on the previous much less generous FIT contract are livid
about the new more generous deal not being available to early adopters.
And have accumulated experience of running them and in this case online
realtime and historic data. eg.

http://www.viridis.net/energy/solar-pv.html

I am thinking about installing PV at the moment - not because I believe
they will save the planet (at this latitude PV is crazy) but because it
provides a viable long term return on investment!

I will probably join and pass the link on to a few friends who already
have PV arrays and/or campaign for energy efficiency and green energy. I
hope you do manage to get enough critical mass to share experiences.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 14-05-2011, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

I will probably join and pass the link on to a few friends who already
have PV arrays and/or campaign for energy efficiency and green energy. I
hope you do manage to get enough critical mass to share experiences.

I think you will find that there is already significant activity
discussing just this subject in the forums of MoneySavingExpert:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...play.php?f=100

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 14-05-2011, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 May 2011 22:42:42 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On May 13, 5:27 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On May 13, 5:20 pm, harry wrote:

I have started a group about PV panels if anyone has them or is
considering getting them. Please join & recount experiencse/
questions.

Damn. Forgot to put the link in!
;-0http://groups.google.com/group/feed-in-tariff-uk-pv-panels/topics?start=

:-((

This looks to me as if someone is advertising something on urg. Nobody
EVER
does that do they?

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

No advertising. Just for information exchange. I have one myself and
lots are popping up all over the place including taking up quite large
areas of peoples gardens. This due to the high prices on gets for
electrcicty generated.
They are not without interesting problems

Do as others do, ignore him.
--

Martin

;-))

""Do as I say, not as I do""

Kind regards

Old 14-05-2011, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 5:20 pm, *wrote:
[...]

It's only a money thing with me. It's a lot better deal than leaving
money in the bank to rot these days. The return in my case is
projected to be 11.5%.
Only been running for three weeks but it looks achievable. But only a
full year will tell for sure.
I need to do 10kwh/day average over the whole year. So far about 19kwh/
day. Obviously things will not be as good in Winter but should
improve as days lengthen.
Old 14-05-2011, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On May 13, 5:27 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On May 13, 5:20 pm, harry wrote:

I have started a group about PV panels if anyone has them or is
considering getting them. Please join & recount experiencse/
questions.

Damn. Forgot to put the link in!
;-0http://groups.google.com/group/feed-in-tariff-uk-pv-panels/topics?start=

:-((

This looks to me as if someone is advertising something on urg. Nobody
EVER
does that do they?

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

No advertising. Just for information exchange. I have one myself and

lots are popping up all over the place including taking up quite large
areas of peoples gardens. This due to the high prices on gets for
electrcicty generated.
They are not without interesting problems

I did email the OP to ask what the hell is a PV but have not had any
sensible reply!

Alan

Old 14-05-2011, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 May 2011 20:00:36 +0100, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On May 13, 5:27 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On May 13, 5:20 pm, harry wrote:

[...]

Something like "photo voltaic" panels perchance? Posh for "solar" I
think ;-))

Cheers

Jake

Old 15-05-2011, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 14, 8:00*pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On May 13, 5:27 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

On May 13, 5:20 pm, harry wrote:

[...]

Alan- Hide quoted text -

All you have to do is google it. Is that too difficult for you?
It is a device that converts sunlight into electricity.
It usually takes the form of roof mounted panels.

The gov has decreed that electrcity generated can be sold to
electricity suppliers at a very high price. Ergo, lots of people are
getting on the bandwagon.

Several links have already been posted by others.
But as you're clearly not too smart here are some more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_panel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feed-in...United_Kingdom
Old 15-05-2011, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message

On May 13, 5:27 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

On May 13, 5:20 pm, harry wrote:

[...]

.................................................. ....................................

""The gov has decreed that electricity generated can be sold to
electricity suppliers at a very high price. Ergo, lots of people are
getting on the bandwagon.""

"Poor" farmers are jumping on the band wagon as well on the Isle of Wight.
Two applications have been put in for acres of the ugly things to be
installed on their fields. Poor framers my foot. Ever seen one? No neither
have I. If they were that poor, they wouldn't be running around in the
latest Range Rovers etc and certainly wouldn't be able to afford to go to
the £100.00 per ticket Hunt Ball etc.etc. etc.

'WOLF' 'WOLF' 'WOLF' once more

Old 15-05-2011, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/05/2011 19:11, harry wrote:

On May 13, 5:20 pm, wrote:
[...]

If you can give a monthly average or quarterly average and the angle of
slope and azimuth of your roof it should be possible to give a pretty
good independent guestimate of average annual output using old solar
power tables I have from Kew from the 1970's (first oil shock era).

I need to do 10kwh/day average over the whole year. So far about 19kwh/
day. Obviously things will not be as good in Winter but should
improve as days lengthen.

If that was for April then it is probably atypical but puts a rough
lower bound on your annual average output at around 12kWh/day.

An interesting quirk in winter on sunny days is that efficiency is
higher because the cells stay cold. The days are short though...

A lot of the solar powered "please go round the bend" and "danger ice"
signs up here die a horrible death in the cold dark winters which is
when they are most needed. They are almost always dead in the water on
cold frosty mornings. One not far away often has a car embedded in the
exit point from the bend. Another failed to prevent someone embedding
their car into a house on the bend.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 15-05-2011, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 5:20 pm, * *wrote:
[...]

Martin Brown- Hide quoted text -

The highest daily KWh so far is 29.
The lowest has been 9.6 (rain).
The average is down to 18Kwh with this cloudy weather of the last
week.
Hopefully things will buck up this next few months.
We do all the washing, baking. cooking etc on sunny days at midday
when possible.
Old 15-05-2011, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message

On May 13, 5:27 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

On May 13, 5:20 pm, harry wrote:

[...]

But as you're clearly not too smart here are some more.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_p...United_Kingdom

.................................................. ..........................*..........

""The gov has decreed that electricity generated can be sold to
electricity suppliers at a very high price. Ergo, lots of people are
getting on the bandwagon.""

"Poor" farmers are jumping on the band wagon as well on the Isle of Wight..
Two applications have been put in for acres of the ugly things to be
installed on their fields. Poor framers my foot. Ever seen one? No neither
have I. If they were that poor, they wouldn't be running around in the
latest Range Rovers etc and certainly wouldn't be able to afford to go to
the £100.00 per ticket Hunt Ball etc.etc. etc.

'WOLF' 'WOLF' 'WOLF' once more

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

There are plenty of poor farmers about, we once lived in a farming
community.
Some live in poverty.

A problem has arisen with foriegn companies coming in with plans for
huge arrays. The money they got would go abroad, this has already
happened with windfarms.
The plan was for the money to stay in this country. I think there is
to be a rethink/review about the very large projects.
Most farmers put them on outbuilding roofs.

There is a number for your area that is the number of KWh per year per
Kw installed. Average weather conditions, natch.
Ranges from 750 in Scotland to 900 in the SE England.

There is also a table of modifying factors for orientation and
diversion from due South.

If you are desperately interested I can Email you a copy.