Old 16-05-2011, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Orange honeysuckle

Took the car in to have the insurance estimate done and in their car
park are the usual run of the mill shrubs and amongst them was a
fantastic Orange flowered Honey suckle, I've looked on line and find
Orange Honeysuckle (Lonicera ciliosa), but is described as having
small flowers, and the petal formation is different.
See pics,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...eysuckle01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...eysuckle02.jpg

Not as good as they could be as I had to take the flower to the camera
so about 45 mins without water in the car.
It flowere look almost like Montbretia flowers.
I am trying cuttings, failing that I will be back for seed.
David

Old 16-05-2011, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
Took the car in to have the insurance estimate done and in their car
park are the usual run of the mill shrubs and amongst them was a
fantastic Orange flowered Honey suckle, I've looked on line and find
Orange Honeysuckle (Lonicera ciliosa), but is described as having
small flowers, and the petal formation is different.
See pics,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...eysuckle01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...eysuckle02.jpg

Is it Lonicera x brownii?

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 17-05-2011, 12:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post

Is it Lonicera x brownii?[color=blue][i]
Ah - the name I was trying to think of!
Dropmore Scarlet - a variety of L x brownii
__________________
Old 17-05-2011, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 16, 5:09*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
Dave Hill writes

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...rangehoneysuck...
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...rangehoneysuck...

Is it Lonicera x brownii?

Not as good as they could be as I had to take the flower to the camera
so about 45 mins without water in the car.
It flowere look almost like Montbretia flowers.
I am trying cuttings, failing that I will be back for seed.
David

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Looked at Dropmore scarlet pictures on line and they vary so much, a
couple of them do look like what I found, but it is nothing like what
I used to grow as "Dropmore Scarlet" also found thaty pictures of
Lonicera ciliosa were nothing like it except for the one posted by
Crocus.
I will have to go back down with the camera if this blasted rain ever
stops.
David
Old 17-05-2011, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Dave
Hill writes

if this blasted rain ever
stops.

Stop boasting ! Don't hog it all we could really do with it over here!!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 17-05-2011, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Took the car in to have the insurance estimate done and in their car
park are the usual run of the mill shrubs and amongst them was a
fantastic Orange flowered Honey suckle, I've looked on line and find
Orange Honeysuckle (Lonicera ciliosa), but is described as having
small flowers, and the petal formation is different.
See pics,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...eysuckle01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...eysuckle02.jpg

Not as good as they could be as I had to take the flower to the camera
so about 45 mins without water in the car.
It flowere look almost like Montbretia flowers.
I am trying cuttings, failing that I will be back for seed.
David

Without a doubt that is Lonicera x tellmaniana a cross between Lonicera
sempervirens and Lonicera tragaphylla, not a very strong scent but wonderful
colour and loves a shady place. Fully hardy.

Cuttings are easy (internodal)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 17-05-2011, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 May 2011 04:30:28 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

I will have to go back down with the camera if this blasted rain ever
stops.
David

Do you mean that light drizzle that I've just driven through on the
way home from Bridgend - not enough to justify putting the wipers on
"intermittent" - just 5 or 6 flicks of the wiper control in 7 miles?

Jake
Old 17-05-2011, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
I will have to go back down with the camera if this blasted rain ever
stops.
David

Do you mean that light drizzle that I've just driven through on the
way home from Bridgend - not *enough to justify putting the wipers on
"intermittent" - just 5 or 6 flicks of the wiper control in 7 miles?

Jake

I had a man from Welsh water out to see me this morning, and as we had
to be outside it tiped it down almost the whole time he was here.
Seems I have to fit "Double checkvalve taps" incase I try to send some
of my spare water back into the mains, just wish I could at times.
That was around 11am, had to go out to see if I could get the taps
around 3pm and I still had to have the wipers on.
If I could post the rain we don't want on ebay I would.
Old 17-05-2011, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 17, 2:07*pm, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

[...]

and Lapageria rosea cvshttp://www.roselandhouse.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

Thats the one Charlie, Thanks,
Just hope they will root near the node as most of the cuttings I took
I cut down to about 2 inches below the nodes as the spacing was about
8 inches between the pairs of leaves. Still I can go back, also want
to try some seed as there are no other honeysuckles in the area.
Old 18-05-2011, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article eb7ad594-4304-486e-905e-
,
says...
wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

[...]

I usually leave 1-2" below the node depending on whether I am wearing my
glasses or not(using a razor blade too close to your fingers if you cant
see properly is a high risk occupation!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 18-05-2011, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

[...]

Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

That raises an interesting question.
How internodal is internodal?
I suppose I have always taken it as being half way between sets of
leaves, but I suppose you could call any rooting that isn't from the
leaf node as being internodal.
Old 27-05-2011, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 2e75884a-b0f5-4ea3-a9ef-
,
says...

wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

[...]

Most climbers root from the stems not the buds, so you make them as short
as possible so they don't wobble, however too short and there is nothing
sticking in the compost, a lot of american nurseries use two noded
cuttings with a very short stump below the lower node which is then
buried, the idea being that you will get below ground shoots much
earlier, but when I tried it the difference compared with my short noded
cuttings potted up deeper after rooting and their very long unweildy
cuttings was only a day or two, so not worth the hassel (and you need
twice as much cutting material!)

Anyway back to your honeysuckle, the unflowered stems provide the best
material and now is a good timing
Old 27-05-2011, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Charlie,
I have some cutings on the go that I took when I found the plant.
I am down there again on Tursday when I take the car in for the work
to be done so with luck I will get a couple more cuttings.
David