Old 16-05-2011, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Autumn already?

We tend to associate the appearance of fungi with the onset of autumn, don't
we? But today I saw these impressive specimens near badbury rings, Wimborne.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...f/16May001.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...f/16May002.jpg

--
Steve

Never shake the ketchup bottle. None'll come, and then a lot'll

Old 17-05-2011, 12:27 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzbat View Post
We tend to associate the appearance of fungi with the onset of autumn, don't
we? But today I saw these impressive specimens near badbury rings, Wimborne.
But there are a lot of fungi which fruit all year, or at times od the year other than autumn. It's just there is a peak in autumn with the damper weather.

thanks for posting the pics - a lot of fungi are really beautiful - I think in general we don't appreciate them enough.
__________________
Old 17-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzbat View Post
We tend to associate the appearance of fungi with the onset of autumn, don't
we? But today I saw these impressive specimens near badbury rings, Wimborne.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...f/16May001.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...f/16May002.jpg
Looks like Dryad's Saddle, which is a very common fungus of rotting trees, with persistent fruit bodies found all year round. I would have been hoping to see some interesting orchids around Badbury Rings at this time of year, though they tend to let the sheep on too soon.