Old 22-05-2011, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garlic question

When should garlic be lifted ?, I've got some growing
and looks good from the top, the leaves are starting to
turn brown, they where planted last November.
This evening I dug down around a couple of them and
they don't seem to be filling out very well.
Am I too early or have I done something wrong. ??

Wally

Old 22-05-2011, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote:

When should garlic be lifted ?, I've got some growing
and looks good from the top, the leaves are starting to
turn brown, they where planted last November.

Typically, when about half the tops have turned brown.
Garlic is the worst of all worlds- a terrible competitor and a heavy
feeder, so give it your richest soil, and week even if you have to let
everything else go to wrack and ruin.

Old 22-05-2011, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
When should garlic be lifted ?, I've got some growing
and looks good from the top, the leaves are starting to
turn brown, they where planted last November.
This evening I dug down around a couple of them and
they don't seem to be filling out very well.
Am I too early or have I done something wrong. ??

Wally

I grew some year before last, IIRC, I lifted it in the autumn. Still using
it

Pete C

Old 22-05-2011, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 22, 9:45*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
"Wally" wrote in message

... When should garlic be lifted ?, I've got some growing
and looks good from the top, the leaves are starting to
turn brown, they where planted last November.
This evening I dug down around a couple of them and
they don't seem to be filling out very well.
Am I too early or have I done something wrong. ??

Wally

I grew some year before last, IIRC, I lifted it in the autumn. Still using
it

Pete C

You can use it now, you dont have to let it bulb up, you can use it
green.
Green garlic is actually regular garlic that is picked a little
earlier, at its younger stage. Its leaves are green, and it is not so
pungent, though very special
Old 22-05-2011, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 May 2011 20:39:44 +0100, "Wally"
wrote:

When should garlic be lifted ?, I've got some growing
and looks good from the top, the leaves are starting to
turn brown, they where planted last November.
This evening I dug down around a couple of them and
they don't seem to be filling out very well.
Am I too early or have I done something wrong. ??

Leave it as long as possible but watch it carefully. In my experience
the tops die down very quickly and unless you lift it before they do,
you won't know where they are, unless you've marked them very exactly.
I often find stray garlic coming up in Spring because I'd forgotten to
lift it.

Pam in Bristol

Old 22-05-2011, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote

When should garlic be lifted ?, I've got some growing
and looks good from the top, the leaves are starting to
turn brown, they where planted last November.
This evening I dug down around a couple of them and
they don't seem to be filling out very well.
Am I too early or have I done something wrong. ??

It's too early yet, are you sure your Garlic has not got rust? Garlic is
usually ready about the end of June beginning of July in the UK and the
leaves will mostly turn brown and dry (not orangey rust coloured).
That said you can use Garlic at this stage but for using now not for
storing.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-05-2011, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pam Moore wrote:
Leave it as long as possible but watch it carefully. In my experience
the tops die down very quickly and unless you lift it before they do,
you won't know where they are, unless you've marked them very exactly.
I often find stray garlic coming up in Spring because I'd forgotten to
lift it.

Heh, I found it very exciting digging up a row of 'forgotten' garlic a few
years backk. "Look, another one!!" all day long. :-) (I think I'd given
up on the patch cos the onions all got white rot, but the garlic survived
but died back, so I thought it had gone)

My garlic this year is ropey. :-( Lost most of it, presumably due to lack
of water. One day it was there, couple of days later went back and it's all
died off and there are some rotten cloves lying around. Still got some
going strong on the boys' bed (I really ought to stop stealing their raised
bed - but it's the only decent patch that is always available in an
emergency for transplanting into!!), but it doesn't seem to have split into
cloves yet, which is weird, cos it's certainly ha a cold spell!
Old 23-05-2011, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you all for your replies, I can stop
panicking now and wait a bit longer.

Wally

Old 23-05-2011, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 May 2011 10:37:44 +0100, "Wally"
wrote:

Thank you all for your replies, I can stop
panicking now and wait a bit longer.

Wally

I think it will be an early garlic harvest this year, where we've had
so little rain. I noticed this morning that the leaves of mine are
already beginning to turn brown. They have been very dry and I cant
get there to water more than once a week.

Pam in Bristol

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Garlic question George.com Gardening 7 08-04-2007 07:58 PM
Garlic question Mary Fisher United Kingdom 9 28-07-2006 11:16 PM
chives/garlic question? jamie Texas 2 20-04-2004 04:07 AM