Old 23-05-2011, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water Butt Treatment

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Sadge" wrote

Hi, can anybody suggest a cheaper alternative to the rather expensive
ones on the market please?

Some time ago I was given a "Garden Yoghurt" kit and I use that, both in
our pond filters and in the rain barrels to keep them sweet and to ball up
any detritus. Takes a couple of weeks to make a supply
http://www.recycleworks.co.uk/em-gar...-pr-16177.html

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

My waterbutt came with a 500ml bottle of

Organica
RAINFRESH +PLUS
Energy drink for your water butt
"Totally organic and cleans the rainwater".

I'm not sure I'll buy any more when it runs out, as it doesn't say whether
it is organic.
Suspect this is what the OP was after... - we won't be wanting dirty
rainwater now, would we?

Lol

Old 23-05-2011, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/05/2011 17:40, Lol wrote:
"Bob wrote in message
"Sadge" wrote

Hi, can anybody suggest a cheaper alternative to the rather expensive
ones on the market please?

Some time ago I was given a "Garden Yoghurt" kit and I use that, both in
our pond filters and in the rain barrels to keep them sweet and to ball up
any detritus. Takes a couple of weeks to make a supply
http://www.recycleworks.co.uk/em-gar...-pr-16177.html

My waterbutt came with a 500ml bottle of

Organica
RAINFRESH +PLUS
Energy drink for your water butt
"Totally organic and cleans the rainwater".

I'm not sure I'll buy any more when it runs out, as it doesn't say whether
it is organic.
Suspect this is what the OP was after... - we won't be wanting dirty
rainwater now, would we?

Almost as good as spray on designer label mud for Chelsea Tractors.

Provided the water butt has a lid and stays dark then there really isn't
a problem. You might want to decant the sludge out of the bottom every
few years but that is about it. And if you don't have a lid then an old
carpet tile with half a brick on top will do the job.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 23-05-2011, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/05/2011 08:44, Sadge wrote:
Hi, can anybody suggest a cheaper alternative to the rather expensive
ones on the market please?

The usually accepted treatment for a water butt is a few crystals of
potassium permanganate. You can get s small bottle from your local
pharmacy.

--

Jeff
Old 23-05-2011, 08:18 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadge View Post
It's OK - found the answer. Thanks.
So what was the answer? Remember, although you asked the question, there may be other people reading who have the same question and who would be interested in the answer.
__________________
Old 23-05-2011, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article , says...

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

The rainwater was already organic before you treated it.

Janet

Ahem... that was a joke.
There's nowt anyone's waterbutt needs except 50 gallons of rain. Now, please
Lol

Old 02-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Registered User

Location: Corsham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadge View Post
Hi, can anybody suggest a cheaper alternative to the rather expensive ones on the market please?
The best way I have found to stop rainwater turning stagnant is to use EM Ceramics from EMBiotechSolutions. You simply put the bag of EM Ceramics in your water butt and they will always keep you water smelling fresh. Follow this link The Best Water Butt Treatment - EM Ceramics