Old 24-05-2011, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blackcurrants...

It's going to take me until autumn to prepare the ground - but I was
wondering when it's done if it's better to have the bed as earth to
mulch over or to allow grass to grow and then mow it...

I assume grass will take water that the plant wants - which is my main
thought on it at the moment. Are there any other reasons - or is that
one more than enough?

I suspect I don't need more than 3 bushes either as there's a limit to
how much jam I can make! (Unless anyone has a recipe for vimto...)

(And for those interested this is a photo of our site at the moment -
10 plots on it
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
It's on facebook so not sure if you need a fb account to see it - you
never used to but can't see the general share photo link)

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 24-05-2011, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/05/2011 13:15, mogga wrote:
It's going to take me until autumn to prepare the ground - but I was
wondering when it's done if it's better to have the bed as earth to
mulch over or to allow grass to grow and then mow it...

I assume grass will take water that the plant wants - which is my main
thought on it at the moment. Are there any other reasons - or is that
one more than enough?

Mine are on mulched soil and seem to thrive as the mulch holds in the
moisture. Getting grass cut under them would be something of a hassle.

I suspect I don't need more than 3 bushes either as there's a limit to
how much jam I can make! (Unless anyone has a recipe for vimto...)

Worth growing Jostaberries as well provided you can net them. Gooseberry
x Blackcurrant. Think blackcurrants on steroids and you are not far out.
Much less topping and tailing needed for a pies worth.

(And for those interested this is a photo of our site at the moment -

Looks like it will take a fair bit of work then.

I hope there are no obsessively Organic(TM) growers so you can use
glyphosate on it to get a clean or nearly clean start.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 24-05-2011, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 24 May 2011 13:35:57 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 24/05/2011 13:15, mogga wrote:
It's going to take me until autumn to prepare the ground - but I was
wondering when it's done if it's better to have the bed as earth to
mulch over or to allow grass to grow and then mow it...

I assume grass will take water that the plant wants - which is my main
thought on it at the moment. Are there any other reasons - or is that
one more than enough?

Mine are on mulched soil and seem to thrive as the mulch holds in the
moisture. Getting grass cut under them would be something of a hassle.

I reckon I could flymo round the ones in my garden if they were on
grass - but maybe only just!

I suspect I don't need more than 3 bushes either as there's a limit to
how much jam I can make! (Unless anyone has a recipe for vimto...)

Worth growing Jostaberries as well provided you can net them. Gooseberry
x Blackcurrant. Think blackcurrants on steroids and you are not far out.
Much less topping and tailing needed for a pies worth.

oo - sounds like a plan!

(And for those interested this is a photo of our site at the moment -

Looks like it will take a fair bit of work then.

Yes def a lot of work. We started on ours before the grass had started
but the last few on are having to stim!

Old 24-05-2011, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
[...]

You could always use a mulch of bark a few inches thick around the
base to keep the weeds down.
Take a litr bottle, fill it with Black currants (Raspberries,
Loganberries Blackberries etc) add a couple of tablespoons of suggar
then fill with Vodka, shake well, add more vodka if there is room,
then leave for a few months Shaking it every week or so.
After a few months you will have quite a drink.
WARNING
When you drain the drink off the fruit remember that the fruit still
contains almost pure vodka.
I did this once with Loganberies, and made a flan from the fruit, Wow!
what a kick.
Old 24-05-2011, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
[...]

I should have said I have had Jostaberries for almost 10 years and am
yet to have any fruit, they set and ripen fruit but the birds pick it
at around 5am, mine have grown up to around 8ft.

Old 24-05-2011, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Old 25-05-2011, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On 24/05/2011 13:15, mogga wrote:
It's going to take me until autumn to prepare the ground - but I was
wondering when it's done if it's better to have the bed as earth to
mulch over or to allow grass to grow and then mow it...

I suspect I don't need more than 3 bushes either as there's a limit to
how much jam I can make! (Unless anyone has a recipe for vimto...)

Worth growing Jostaberries as well provided you can net them. Gooseberry
x Blackcurrant. Think blackcurrants on steroids and you are not far out.
Much less topping and tailing needed for a pies worth.

oo - sounds like a plan!

I should have said I have had Jostaberries for almost 10 years and am
yet to have any fruit, they set and ripen fruit but the birds pick it
at around 5am, mine have grown up to around 8ft.

I should perhaps have added that you have to net them if you want to eat
any of the crop. Birds will kill for them. Our hens used to sometimes
find a way in and then jump up into the bush to get berries too it was
very funny to watch.

Blueberries are also good to grow if you have suitable soil or in a pot.
(again have to be netted)

Not mentioned so far but of the other things to grow on an allotment
raspberries red and some yellow would be my first choice to plant. They
are always really good value and the birds find them harder to pinch.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 25-05-2011, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 24 May 2011 11:39:20 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

You could always use a mulch of bark a few inches thick around the
base to keep the weeds down.
Take a litr bottle, fill it with Black currants (Raspberries,
Loganberries Blackberries etc) add a couple of tablespoons of suggar
then fill with Vodka, shake well, add more vodka if there is room,
then leave for a few months Shaking it every week or so.
After a few months you will have quite a drink.
WARNING
When you drain the drink off the fruit remember that the fruit still
contains almost pure vodka.
I did this once with Loganberies, and made a flan from the fruit, Wow!
what a kick.

That sounds like a good recipe to keep!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 25-05-2011, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Given the sheer size of the site and the absolute lack of planting... It
looks more like an abandoned council park... I'd be adding in Loganberry,
thornless bramble, elder, apple, cherry, pear, plum.

A site map and a five year plan would probably be a good start.

Warwick
Old 25-05-2011, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 25 May 2011 09:47:44 +0100, Warwick
wrote:

Given the sheer size of the site and the absolute lack of planting... It
looks more like an abandoned council park... I'd be adding in Loganberry,
thornless bramble, elder, apple, cherry, pear, plum.

A site map and a five year plan would probably be a good start.

Warwick

I've only got a section of it. There are 10 plots and a carpark area

It is indeed an abandoned bit of wasteland.

We are having fruit trees round the edge and I want a damson as well!

From the other end of the plot it looks much more cultivated - I was
stood at the far end. Everyone has started on their plots bar one now!
It'll take months of work before it gets to look like proper
allotments all over - maybe even years !
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Blackcurrants graham United Kingdom 15 14-03-2007 10:36 PM
Blackcurrants with legs. Brian United Kingdom 19 25-10-2005 04:21 AM
Pesticides and blackcurrants Peter Robinson United Kingdom 11 16-05-2004 03:09 PM
Pruning blackcurrants - advice please? Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 14 29-07-2003 11:32 AM
Blackcurrants graham Gardening 2 25-07-2003 05:22 AM