Old 27-05-2011, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identify a brown bird

Hi,

Can anyone help identify this bird seen in the garden? I find it hard to
tell all the brown birds apart.
http://img248.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_510lo.jpg

I think it's too big to be a wren - would it be a sparrow or a dunnuck?

Thanks!
Kate xx

Old 27-05-2011, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill:

On May 27, 9:06Â*am, Kate wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone help identify this bird seen in the garden? I find it hard
to tell all the brown birds
apart.http://img248.imagevenue.com/img.php?

image=83385_brownbird_122_510lo.jpg

I think it's too big to be a wren - would it be a sparrow or a dunnuck?

Thanks!
Kate xx

sparrow

Thanks!

He was a cheeky chappie, seemed to pluck up a huge number of worms from
round the borders - then flew between all the trees & shrubs, perching on
a branch of each for a second or two before moving on. Don't know if he
was looking for little grubs or beetles on the leaves - if he found any,
I hope he ate them up for me

Kate xx
Old 27-05-2011, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Jake wrote:

I thought her rather cheeky myself. Currently scanning the computer I
was using then - it's a very secure system and the popups shouldn't
have got through and even then the content filters should have stopped
the movie.

I was surprised that the filters here didn't catch it (I'm at work). I
was sort of tempted to click on Kate's link again and check the URLs
but decided it wasn't worth it in case my boss walked in.

--
Chris
Old 27-05-2011, 10:39 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Dave Hill:

On May 27, 9:06Â*am, Kate wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone help identify this bird seen in the garden? I find it hard
to tell all the brown birds
apart.http://img248.imagevenue.com/img.php?

image=83385_brownbird_122_510lo.jpg

I think it's too big to be a wren - would it be a sparrow or a dunnuck?

Thanks!
Kate xx

sparrow

Thanks!

He was a cheeky chappie, seemed to pluck up a huge number of worms from
round the borders - then flew between all the trees & shrubs, perching on
a branch of each for a second or two before moving on. Don't know if he
was looking for little grubs or beetles on the leaves - if he found any,
I hope he ate them up for me
Sparrow - but there are house sparrows (usually) and tree sparrows (occasionally). Males and females are different, so you've got four possible varieties there!

Dunnocks don't have the pattern on the head - they have smooth grey/"slate blue" head and shoulders. Once you've identified one, you'll see the striping on the back is different too - to my mind it's more delicate. Males and female dunnocks are identical.

Anything you can't recognise is formally classified as an LBJ "little brown job" ;-)

Other LBJs are - female chaffinches, with white stripes in their wings, baby robins, brown and spotted, and baby goldfinches, with yellow stripes in the wings.
__________________

Old 27-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Can anyone help identify this bird seen in the garden? I find it hard to
tell all the brown birds apart.
http://img248.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_510lo.jpg

I think it's too big to be a wren - would it be a sparrow or a dunnuck?
Although there is indeed a picture of a sparrow, it caused a very naughty pop-up to appear, and since my pop-up blocker had become switched off since yesterday, I'm inclined to suspect it of doing that too (although it is possible something else did it). So beware of clicking.