Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2011, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acer in front garden

We have an Acer in the small front garden - pretty pale green leaves and
forms part of a privacy barrier between the bay window and the footpath.
However it is growing all the time (surprise!) and starting to overshadow
other plants and shrubs.
I have also had to cut the top back to keep it from fouling the telephone
wires.

We didn't plant it.
Now I can see the effect that was aimed for - it looked very nice when it
was smaller and balanced with the Photinia planted next to it.
However the trunk is expanding all the time and the tree is now dominating
the front garden.
Presumably not anticipated when it was planted?

Having just spent a strenuous couple of days getting the stump of a bay tree
out of the back garden, I am not keen on another monster trunk developing in
the front.
It will eventually have to go (unless we clear out nearly everything under
it) if it keeps on growing at this rate.

So is there anything effective I can do to limit the growth both up and
accross?
I could take it down to near ground level (pollard) or right down (coppice)
which would resolve the height issue but this is likely to alter the
fundamental nature of the tree and we would lose the tall slim stem which
was the attractive feature of the original planting.

Whatever, something needs to be done soon or the only option will be
removal.

Removal may still be the best option, because that will open up an area of
flower bed that was quite extensively planted (and has stepping stones
included) which is now rapidly disappearing.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]