Old 03-06-2011, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acer in front garden

We have an Acer in the small front garden - pretty pale green leaves and
forms part of a privacy barrier between the bay window and the footpath.
However it is growing all the time (surprise!) and starting to overshadow
other plants and shrubs.
I have also had to cut the top back to keep it from fouling the telephone
wires.

We didn't plant it.
Now I can see the effect that was aimed for - it looked very nice when it
was smaller and balanced with the Photinia planted next to it.
However the trunk is expanding all the time and the tree is now dominating
the front garden.
Presumably not anticipated when it was planted?

Having just spent a strenuous couple of days getting the stump of a bay tree
out of the back garden, I am not keen on another monster trunk developing in
the front.
It will eventually have to go (unless we clear out nearly everything under
it) if it keeps on growing at this rate.

So is there anything effective I can do to limit the growth both up and
accross?
I could take it down to near ground level (pollard) or right down (coppice)
which would resolve the height issue but this is likely to alter the
fundamental nature of the tree and we would lose the tall slim stem which
was the attractive feature of the original planting.

Whatever, something needs to be done soon or the only option will be
removal.

Removal may still be the best option, because that will open up an area of
flower bed that was quite extensively planted (and has stepping stones
included) which is now rapidly disappearing.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 03-06-2011, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/03/2011 01:03 PM, David WE Roberts wrote:
We have an Acer in the small front garden - pretty pale green leaves and
forms part of a privacy barrier between the bay window and the footpath.

Do you know the species?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 06/03/2011 01:03 PM, David WE Roberts wrote:
We have an Acer in the small front garden - pretty pale green leaves and
forms part of a privacy barrier between the bay window and the footpath.

Do you know the species?

No idea - can post a picture if this would help.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/03/2011 05:28 PM, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 06/03/2011 01:03 PM, David WE Roberts wrote:
We have an Acer in the small front garden - pretty pale green leaves and
forms part of a privacy barrier between the bay window and the footpath.

Do you know the species?

No idea - can post a picture if this would help.

I'll be happy to look at it if you want to take the trouble. Otherwise,
"looks like a Japanese Acer" or "looks like a sycamore" is fine, too.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 06/03/2011 05:28 PM, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 06/03/2011 01:03 PM, David WE Roberts wrote:
We have an Acer in the small front garden - pretty pale green leaves
and
forms part of a privacy barrier between the bay window and the
footpath.

Do you know the species?

No idea - can post a picture if this would help.

I'll be happy to look at it if you want to take the trouble. Otherwise,
"looks like a Japanese Acer" or "looks like a sycamore" is fine, too.

Looks like a Japanese Acer.

If it looked anything like the common Sycamore it would have been out as
soon as we moved in.
I have had bad experiences with Sycamore, which can grow and spread like a
weed.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 06/03/2011 05:28 PM, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 06/03/2011 01:03 PM, David WE Roberts wrote:
We have an Acer in the small front garden - pretty pale green
leaves and
forms part of a privacy barrier between the bay window and the
footpath.

Do you know the species?

No idea - can post a picture if this would help.

I'll be happy to look at it if you want to take the trouble. Otherwise,
"looks like a Japanese Acer" or "looks like a sycamore" is fine, too.

Looks like a Japanese Acer.

Japanese maples are said to be able to get that large, but something big
enough to foul telephone wires doesn't sound like a Japanese maple,
which tends to be slow growing and not particularly big.

I think a photograph (of a typical leaf) to confirm the identification
would not go amiss, in advance of anyone offering you any advice.

--
alias Ernest Major
Old 04-06-2011, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/z...reyCatUK/Acer/

Tall shot taken from front porch about 20' away.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

snip
http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/z...reyCatUK/Acer/

Tall shot taken from front porch about 20' away.

I can't be sure - between my lack of familiarity and the limitations of
the photographic medium the leaves of Acer cappadocicum and Acer
palmatum are too similar for easy identification - but I think that this
is Acer cappadocicum; Acer palmatum has a broader domed habit, and
probably wouldn't care for such an exposed situation.

I've seen Acer cappadocicum cut to the ground and regenerating. But in
that circumstance it was, I think, suckering from the roots as well as
regenerating from the stump.

Also, are you sure it's not a Liquidambar (sweet gum)? they look rather
like maples, but have alternate (one per node) leaves, rather than
opposite (two per node) leaves. (The flowers and fruits are also
different, but I don't recall Liquidambar flowering/fruiting anywhere
here.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 04-06-2011, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Not sure about anything.
Possibly alternate leaves - leaves are on side shoots from the main stem
which look like this year's growth.
I tried to use the macro setting on my mobile phone camera but it is so
windy I can't keep a branch still enough to get a decent focus.

No signs of flowers or fruit either.

Whatever, is it realistic to coppice or pollard any of the above options to
maintain a slim stem to about 10' tall and prevent the trunk growing any
bigger?

As you can probably see from the photographs it is overshadowing a lot of
the front garden and it does not show any sign of being slow growing.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/04/2011 01:52 PM, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , David WE Roberts
writes

snip
http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/z...reyCatUK/Acer/

Tall shot taken from front porch about 20' away.

I can't be sure - between my lack of familiarity and the limitations of
the photographic medium the leaves of Acer cappadocicum and Acer
palmatum are too similar for easy identification - but I think that this
is Acer cappadocicum; Acer palmatum has a broader domed habit, and
probably wouldn't care for such an exposed situation.

I've seen Acer cappadocicum cut to the ground and regenerating. But in
that circumstance it was, I think, suckering from the roots as well as
regenerating from the stump.

Definitely not Acer cappadocicum, the leaves aren't even close.
Certainly not A. palmatum (which can easily and rapidly reach that
height, if the specimen is vigorous). Also...

Also, are you sure it's not a Liquidambar (sweet gum)? they look rather
like maples, but have alternate (one per node) leaves, rather than
opposite (two per node) leaves. (The flowers and fruits are also
different, but I don't recall Liquidambar flowering/fruiting anywhere
here.)

It is indeed a liquidambar styracuflua cultivar, as you note the leaves
are alternate not opposite.

You were right to ask for a picture! It's true that liquidambars are
often confused with maples in photographs, I've even fooled fellow maple
geeks that way in the past.

Sorry I don't know how they respond to coppicing, I have a decent
selection of these trees but haven't tried cutting back.

cheers,

-E

Old 04-06-2011, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

snip
http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/z...reyCatUK/Acer/

Tall shot taken from front porch about 20' away.

snip
Also, are you sure it's not a Liquidambar (sweet gum)? they look rather
like maples, but have alternate (one per node) leaves, rather than
opposite (two per node) leaves. (The flowers and fruits are also
different, but I don't recall Liquidambar flowering/fruiting anywhere
here.)

Looking at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ges/9209.shtml
the expected height is 2.5m and spread 1.2m.
This tree is accelerating past 6-7m high and 2.5-3m spread.
This is after pruning last year for both height and spread.
My concern is that if left unchecked it will be significantly taller that
the house with width to match.

No sign of any fruit.

The leaves are aromatic when crushed (not so much sweet as reminiscent of
Eucalyptus).
I don't know if this is significant.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetgum

"Sweetgum (Liquidambar) is a genus of four species of flowering plants in
the family Altingiaceae, though formerly often treated in the
Hamamelidaceae. They are all large, deciduous trees, 25-40 m tall, with
palmately 5- to 7-lobed leaves arranged spirally on the stems and length of
12.5 to 20 cm, having a pleasant aroma when crushed."

So you look to be spot on with your identification.

If so, then if it is the American variety:
"It is a medium-sized to large tree, growing to 20-35 m (65-115 ft), rarely
to 41 m (135 ft) tall, with a trunk up to 2 m (6 ft) in diameter."

I would not have considered such a tree suitable for a small front garden in
a suburban setting.
Is there an accepted management plan for growing such trees, or did perhaps
someone mistake it for a slow growing Japanese Acer and not realise the
potential size?
Or perhaps read the above link from the BBC and expect a 2.5m by 1.2m
specimen which would be appropriate for the location.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Starting to get carried away with minor details.
However, the leaf picture here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Li...raciflua01.jpg
shows a 5 lobed leaf.
The leaves on our tree have two small extra lobes.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

snip
http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/z...reyCatUK/Acer/

Tall shot taken from front porch about 20' away.

snip
Also, are you sure it's not a Liquidambar (sweet gum)? they look
rather like maples, but have alternate (one per node) leaves, rather
than opposite (two per node) leaves. (The flowers and fruits are also
different, but I don't recall Liquidambar flowering/fruiting anywhere here.)

Looking at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ges/9209.shtml
the expected height is 2.5m and spread 1.2m.

You misplaced the decimal point - the numbers convert to 25m and 12m.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"It is a medium-sized to large tree, growing to 20-35 m (65-115 ft),
rarely to 41 m (135 ft) tall, with a trunk up to 2 m (6 ft) in diameter."

I would not have considered such a tree suitable for a small front
garden in a suburban setting.
Is there an accepted management plan for growing such trees, or did
perhaps someone mistake it for a slow growing Japanese Acer and not
realise the potential size?
Or perhaps read the above link from the BBC and expect a 2.5m by 1.2m
specimen which would be appropriate for the location.

There is a tendency for garden centres to lie shamelessly about the true
size of things.
I bought an acer negundo based on the eventual height, stated on the
label to be 2.5 metres. More like 2.5 metres per year I'd say! Their
response was that that size could be maintained by annual pruning.
Judging by the number of ridiculously tall eucalyptus trees in front
gardens round here, I'd say people have been misled about that species too.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

snip
http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/z...reyCatUK/Acer/

Tall shot taken from front porch about 20' away.

snip
Also, are you sure it's not a Liquidambar (sweet gum)? they look rather
like maples, but have alternate (one per node) leaves, rather than
opposite (two per node) leaves. (The flowers and fruits are also
different, but I don't recall Liquidambar flowering/fruiting anywhere
here.)

Looking at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ges/9209.shtml
the expected height is 2.5m and spread 1.2m.

You misplaced the decimal point - the numbers convert to 25m and 12m.

Ah - centimetres, miilimetres, all foreign ;-)
Still looking a bit to big for the location.
Thanks for tracking it down.