Old 18-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Martin Richards

Default Silver birch in front garden - trim it while I can?

/lurk

Hi all,

I know this is not stricly uk.rec.arboriculture, but following on from the
domain names for tree surgeons thread...

Our house is one of three sharing a drive from the road. The drive crosses
the front of the houses, so with the width of the drive and parking, I guess
the opposite fence is about 30 feet from the front of the house. When we
moved in, growing against this fence there was a small silver birch, perhaps
8-10 feet high from memory. Five years on, it's now got to be heading for
25-30 feet.

At the moment, it looks really nice and doesn't cause any problems. But
seeing some silver birches near my parents' house that are I guess heading
for 40 years and 50-60 feet, I do wonder just how big this thing is going to
grow...

So what's the advice from the group? Leave it to look loveley, and hope it
doesn't start to make inroads on the drive (let alone the foundations)? Get
someone in to trim it back a bit? Or copper nails at dawn...?

Thanks

Martin
~~~
anti-spam: no .dot!

Old 18-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "Martin Richards" contains these words:

At the moment, it looks really nice and doesn't cause any problems. But
seeing some silver birches near my parents' house that are I guess heading
for 40 years and 50-60 feet, I do wonder just how big this thing is going to
grow...

Usually doesn't tend to grow much above 60' and doesn't tend to shed
branches unexpectedly, though I'd worry if you aren't in a fairly
sheltered location and it is to the west or south-west of the houses as
the weather presently does seem to be getting windier.

So what's the advice from the group? Leave it to look loveley, and hope it
doesn't start to make inroads on the drive (let alone the foundations)? Get
someone in to trim it back a bit? Or copper nails at dawn...?

The roots of silver birch aren't a problem at that distance, unlike
willow and poplar, and it's unlikely to begin sprouting new branches at
a low level. From your description of its position, I'd leave it there.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 18-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Pete The Gardener

On Sun, 18 May 2003 07:53:58 +0100, "Martin Richards"
wrote:

Our house is one of three sharing a drive from the road. The drive crosses
the front of the houses, so with the width of the drive and parking, I guess
the opposite fence is about 30 feet from the front of the house. When we
moved in, growing against this fence there was a small silver birch, perhaps
8-10 feet high from memory. Five years on, it's now got to be heading for
25-30 feet.

As Anthony says, the tree is unlikely to pose a problem to the house
at that distance, however if the drains run under the drive the roots
could be a problem if there's a slight leak. Birch love moist
conditions and the roots will seek out any leaks and can block the
drains if they're not in good order. If the drains are fairly new, or
generally in good condition, then I wouldn't worry, otherwise I'd keep
an eye on the situation just incase.

At the moment, it looks really nice and doesn't cause any problems. But
seeing some silver birches near my parents' house that are I guess heading
for 40 years and 50-60 feet, I do wonder just how big this thing is going to
grow...

That's more or less the maximum height, they're not really large
trees, nor particularly long lived.

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Old 18-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Peter Crosland

Our house is one of three sharing a drive from the road. The drive
crosses
the front of the houses, so with the width of the drive and parking, I

guess
the opposite fence is about 30 feet from the front of the house. When we
moved in, growing against this fence there was a small silver birch,

perhaps
8-10 feet high from memory. Five years on, it's now got to be heading

for
25-30 feet.

Even at that distance it could be a problem with subsidence in future. You
should also consider that as it is close to the boundary the branches are
already overhanging the adjoining property. As it grows the degree of
overhang, and trespass, will increase. Whilst the current neigbour my be
happy with it a future one may not. As a tree lover I much regret having to
advise you to remove it but that is the prudent thing to do.

Old 18-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Pete The Gardener wrote:

As Anthony says, the tree is unlikely to pose a problem to the house
at that distance, however if the drains run under the drive the roots
could be a problem if there's a slight leak. Birch love moist
conditions and the roots will seek out any leaks and can block the
drains if they're not in good order. If the drains are fairly new, or
generally in good condition, then I wouldn't worry, otherwise I'd keep
an eye on the situation just incase.

Forget under the drive - a birch's roots will find a leak in the drains
the other side of the house! They are even worse than willows.

Otherwise, I agree. They are a very stable tree, cast a light shade,
don't drop a thick carpet of leaves, and don't drop branches. Which
is why they are so popular.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 18-05-2003, 08:56 PM
bnd777

If you trim back Silver Birch they have a tendency to rot back
They certainly get very very tall our 27 yr old one is probably 100ft and we
think it needs to go