Old 05-06-2011, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Stump reduction

There has been talk here in the past of how to remove tree stumps, well I
have just done one.
Having replaced the mower with slightly wider model an old stump was in the
way so I decided to attack it with an old wood chisel and hammer. Despite
the stump being very hard wood half an hour with the chisel did enough
damage to get the mower through. I will attack the rest some other time and
reduce the whole thing to below ground level. I found that working in from
the sides was the best approach.

This and the next two pictures show what I achieved in about half an hour.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10808

Mike

Old 06-06-2011, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 12:54:35 +0100, "MuddyMike"
wrote:

There has been talk here in the past of how to remove tree stumps, well I
have just done one.
Having replaced the mower with slightly wider model an old stump was in
the
way so I decided to attack it with an old wood chisel and hammer. Despite
the stump being very hard wood half an hour with the chisel did enough
damage to get the mower through. I will attack the rest some other time
and
reduce the whole thing to below ground level. I found that working in
from
the sides was the best approach.

This and the next two pictures show what I achieved in about half an
hour.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10808

Mike

Well done. Now you can come and do mine!!!

After he has done mine!

As mentioned elsewhere, there is no substitute for a good mattock.
A couple of minutes with a mattock should shift that much root.
However if you already have the hammer and chisel it is probably more cost
effective :-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)