Old 08-06-2011, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Drought!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...rought-warning

Wales, the south-west, the Midlands and East Anglia will be raised to
official drought status, enabling the government and water companies
to invoke extra controls over water supplies as a lack of rain
afflicts a huge band across the middle of the country.

Here in Oldham we have just had a big rumble of thunder!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 09-06-2011, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day mogga,

are people puttimg in substantial rainwater tanks? we have lived
through drouhgt and it will rain at sometime, so a tank will
eventually fill, then all one needs to do is manage that.

also use all second hand water in the garden, wee in a bucket instead
of the loo and use that mixed with i dunno shower/bath, hand washed
dish water, and then around the plants. develop the habit of not
flushing urine.

put buckets out when it rains.

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:35:58 +0100, mogga
wrote:
snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

and also: Isaiah 38:1&17-18 KJV

1: Thus saith the Lord, set thine house in order: for thou shalt die and not live.
17: for thou hast cast all my sins behind my back.
18: For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that go down in the pit cannot hope for truth.

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Seek truth and understanding will follow"

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 09-06-2011, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...rought-warning

Wales, the south-west, the Midlands and East Anglia will be raised to
official drought status, enabling the government and water companies
to invoke extra controls over water supplies as a lack of rain
afflicts a huge band across the middle of the country.

Here in Oldham we have just had a big rumble of thunder!

Here in East Anglia it hasn't stopped raining since the announcement.
More scheduled for the weekend and early next week.

Puts me in mind of when they appointed a Minister for Drought - didn't stop
raining then, either.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 09-06-2011, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jun 8, 12:35*pm, mogga wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...gions-given-dr...

Wales, the south-west, the Midlands and East Anglia will be raised to
official drought status,

Sorry to spoil that idea, but not All of Wales, Here in the south our
resevoirs are at normal level for this time of year and some above
normal, that is according to the Welsh news this morning.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 14:17:06 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On Jun 8, 12:35*pm, mogga wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...gions-given-dr...

Wales, the south-west, the Midlands and East Anglia will be raised to
official drought status,

Sorry to spoil that idea, but not All of Wales, Here in the south our
resevoirs are at normal level for this time of year and some above
normal, that is according to the Welsh news this morning.

But, nevertheless, Dave, we're going to be classed as a drought area.
Where I am, even in 1976 there was no water problem (something to do
with some underground water source that has never dried up whatever
the circumstances - don't ask me), but drought restrictions will still
apply as they're regional (and the drought legislation doesn't
recognise Wales as a country with accepted south/mid/west/north
regions - we're all in a single lump). Probably down to those areas of
Wales where communities were submerged to provide water to the
Midlands and thiose in the Midlands getting worried (have you ever
thought that the Welsh are far more stoical than the English?). But
then, you over west have been getting far more wet rain than we at the
other end of the bay where the rain is usually dry!

Jake

Old 09-06-2011, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/06/2011 12:35, mogga wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...rought-warning

Wales, the south-west, the Midlands and East Anglia will be raised to
official drought status, enabling the government and water companies
to invoke extra controls over water supplies as a lack of rain
afflicts a huge band across the middle of the country.

Here in Oldham we have just had a big rumble of thunder!

Back in the mid 70's when there were water shortages I arranged a lash
up so that after the washing machine had pumped the soapy water to
waste, the rinsings wete pumped out onto the garden. Wonder it I can
re-create this - more difficult with a modern system than the Hotpoint
top loader we had at the time when the hose to the stand pipe was easily
accessible

Malcolm
Old 10-06-2011, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 16:58:10 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

"David WE Roberts" wrote:

Puts me in mind of when they appointed a Minister for Drought - didn't stop
raining then, either.

Who was that Douglas Adams character who was a Rain God?

You mean Rob McKenna (had to google that)

but...

http://www.meetup.com/reggaesandiego/events/10869097/
Haile Selassie

He is known as the Rain God since he visited Jamaica when it started
raining after a long drought spell.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 10-06-2011, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 03:56:46 +1000, gardenlen
wrote:

g'day mogga,

are people puttimg in substantial rainwater tanks? we have lived
through drouhgt and it will rain at sometime, so a tank will
eventually fill, then all one needs to do is manage that.

Not quite.
We're looking out for rain barrels for our garage though for the
allotments.

My OH read about making some concrete underground tanks though ...
that sounded interesting... although slightly mad.

also use all second hand water in the garden, wee in a bucket instead
of the loo and use that mixed with i dunno shower/bath, hand washed
dish water, and then around the plants. develop the habit of not
flushing urine.

put buckets out when it rains.

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:35:58 +0100, mogga
wrote:
snipped

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 10-06-2011, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Jun 8, 12:35 pm, mogga wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...gions-given-dr...

Wales, the south-west, the Midlands and East Anglia will be raised to
official drought status,

Sorry to spoil that idea, but not All of Wales, Here in the south our
resevoirs are at normal level for this time of year and some above
normal, that is according to the Welsh news this morning.

Well my water butts are full to overflowing at the moment. Hail in the
Swansea Valley this AM.

Bill

Old 10-06-2011, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:31:23 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Jun 8, 12:35 pm, mogga wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...gions-given-dr...

Wales, the south-west, the Midlands and East Anglia will be raised to
official drought status,

Sorry to spoil that idea, but not All of Wales, Here in the south our
resevoirs are at normal level for this time of year and some above
normal, that is according to the Welsh news this morning.

They mentioned full reservoirs on the news this morning - but said
rivers are at low levels ... farmers who take water from bore holes
and rivers may be restricted in how much water they can take.

Well my water butts are full to overflowing at the moment. Hail in the
Swansea Valley this AM.

Bill

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

dog-gone another drought, only this is a Spring time drought [email protected] Plant Science 5 06-06-2006 06:27 PM
(LONG) Drought likely for 3rd year in Klamath Basin Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 23-02-2003 12:54 AM
Drought and Roses B. Midler Roses 11 15-02-2003 08:15 AM
Drought & more len brauer Permaculture 7 28-01-2003 04:26 PM
Drought Fran Higham Permaculture 2 16-01-2003 11:20 PM