Old 11-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Registered User

Default Please Identify Plants For me

I have the following two plants in my garden and don't know what they are. Could someone please help? Both photos are vary zoomed in. The purple "flowers" are about 2-3 inches long.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...n/P1020728.jpg

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...n/P1020730.jpg

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploppygb View Post
I have the following two plants in my garden and don't know what they are. Could someone please help? Both photos are vary zoomed in. The purple "flowers" are about 2-3 inches long.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...n/P1020728.jpg
Mock Orange (Syringa). It should be strongly fragrant.

Hebe
I don't know which of the hebes.
__________________
Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"kay" wrote
ploppygb Wrote:
I have the following two plants in my garden and don't know what they
are. Could someone please help? Both photos are vary zoomed in. The
purple "flowers" are about 2-3 inches long.

http://tinyurl.com/6enlkzo

Mock Orange (Syringa). It should be strongly fragrant.

I think it's a Philadelphus.

Yes, but she was posting English and you are posting Latin!

One of the common names for plants in the genus Phildelphus is
syringa, though Syringa is the generic name for lilac :-)
There are lots of gotchas like that ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote

http://tinyurl.com/4xwaczz

Hebe
I don't know which of the hebes.

Yes, I think so too.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 12-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Mock Orange (Syringa). It should be strongly fragrant.

Hebe
I don't know which of the hebes.
Thanks very much.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploppygb View Post
Thanks very much.
As far as care of the Mock Orange - it's in full bloom at the moment, but there's about 2-3 ft of new growth poking out the top with no flowers on. What should I do with it after the flowers are gone?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jun 12, 8:14*am, wrote:
In article ,

Bob Hobden wrote:
"kay" *wrote
ploppygb Wrote:
I have the following two plants in my garden and don't know what they
are. *Could someone please help? *Both photos are vary zoomed in.. *The
purple "flowers" are about 2-3 inches long.

http://tinyurl.com/6enlkzo

Mock Orange (Syringa). It should be strongly fragrant.

I think it's a Philadelphus.

Yes, but she was posting English and you are posting Latin!

One of the common names for plants in the genus Phildelphus is
syringa, though Syringa is the generic name for lilac :-)
There are lots of gotchas like that ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

If you are going to use the American Syringa for Philadelphus, then
you might as well go back to calling Hebe Shrubby Veronicas
Old 12-06-2011, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"kay" wrote
ploppygb Wrote:
I have the following two plants in my garden and don't know what they
are. Could someone please help? Both photos are vary zoomed in.
The
purple "flowers" are about 2-3 inches long.

http://tinyurl.com/6enlkzo

Mock Orange (Syringa). It should be strongly fragrant.

I think it's a Philadelphus.

Yes, but she was posting English and you are posting Latin!

One of the common names for plants in the genus Phildelphus is
syringa, though Syringa is the generic name for lilac :-)
There are lots of gotchas like that ....

Well I learn something every day, I've never in my life heard Mock Orange
called syringa.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-06-2011, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:57:12 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Nick wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"kay" wrote
ploppygb Wrote:
I have the following two plants in my garden and don't know what they
are. Could someone please help? Both photos are vary zoomed in.
The
purple "flowers" are about 2-3 inches long.

http://tinyurl.com/6enlkzo

Mock Orange (Syringa). It should be strongly fragrant.

I think it's a Philadelphus.

Yes, but she was posting English and you are posting Latin!

One of the common names for plants in the genus Phildelphus is
syringa, though Syringa is the generic name for lilac :-)
There are lots of gotchas like that ....

Well I learn something every day, I've never in my life heard Mock Orange
called syringa.

Vita Sackville-West wrote in 1948 that "...the lilac should be in
flower. It is not called lilac now by the experts. it is called
syringa; and what we used to call syringa is now called philadelphus".
So mock orange was syringa before lilac was.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake
writes
On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:57:12 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Nick wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"kay" wrote
ploppygb Wrote:
[...]

The use of Syringa as the generic name for lilacs goes back to Species
Plantarum (1753). Before Linnaeus's time Syringa was applied to both
lilacs and mock-oranges, sometimes by the same author.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 12-06-2011, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote
The use of Syringa as the generic name for lilacs goes back to Species
Plantarum (1753). Before Linnaeus's time Syringa was applied to both
lilacs and mock-oranges, sometimes by the same author.

1753 is even a bit before my time. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-06-2011, 11:15 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
Well I learn something every day, I've never in my life heard Mock Orange
called syringa.
I don't know why I said it. I haven't heard them called that for at least 40 years.
__________________
Old 13-06-2011, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote

Bob Hobden Wrote:

Well I learn something every day, I've never in my life heard Mock
Orange
called syringa.

I don't know why I said it. I haven't heard them called that for at
least 40 years.

Well you were quite right to use the word, it's just I hadn't heard it used
before in that context as a common name.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Registered User

Sorry to interrupt (!) but does anyone have pruning advice for my Mock Orange, per my earlier question. Thanks.
Old 13-06-2011, 09:42 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploppygb View Post
Sorry to interrupt (!) but does anyone have pruning advice for my Mock Orange, per my earlier question. Thanks.
There's no need to prune for the sake of flowering - they'll come back and flower really well next year even if you leave them alone. So you're pruning just to keep it within the space you have for it.

My approach is to leave alone as much as possible, cut off any bit that is really encroaching, definitely leave any strong shoots from the bottom, and occasionally take out a big old stem from somewhere near the base. I've no idea if this is the recommended approach.