Old 25-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Brian Day

Default identify plants please ?

Would like some help identifying plants in photos :=

http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...60YSBJQMIJWGZ9

Link will download a 1.2mb zip file contaning -

"bushberry" - a shrub of some sort - about 2 years old , appeared in a pot
out of nowhere. Either blew in or dropped by bird or squirrel. I want to
transplant it to a bed. Is it safe to move it this time of year ? It has
small orange berries appearing.

"Hanging" - this is a pot i have, it's the first one i have kept all
season - so i want to do the same again next year. Will these survive or do
i bin them & start again ? Also no idea what they are.

"Yellow" - this is growing so well I want another - it's at least 3 years
old.

Many thanks,

Brian Day

Old 25-09-2005, 08:32 PM
keith ;-\)

"Brian Day" wrote in message
Would like some help identifying plants in photos :=

http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...60YSBJQMIJWGZ9

Link will download a 1.2mb zip file contaning -

"bushberry" - a shrub of some sort - about 2 years old , appeared in a pot
out of nowhere. Either blew in or dropped by bird or squirrel. I want to
transplant it to a bed. Is it safe to move it this time of year ? It has
small orange berries appearing.

"Hanging" - this is a pot i have, it's the first one i have kept all
season - so i want to do the same again next year. Will these survive or

do
i bin them & start again ? Also no idea what they are.

"Yellow" - this is growing so well I want another - it's at least 3 years
old.

Many thanks,

Brian Day

I think you will get a better response if you link to a actual picture not

to a download file.People are very cautious opening files without knowing
the source.
Thanks Keith

Old 25-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Brian Day

"keith ;-)" wrote in message

"Brian Day" wrote in message
[...]

The file is fine Keith, so is www.yousendit.com - they check all files
before sending. It contains 4 or 5 jpeg images. Cd u dl and have a look pls
?

thanks

Brian Day

Old 25-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Phil L

Brian Day wrote:
:: Would like some help identifying plants in photos :=
::
:: http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...60YSBJQMIJWGZ9
::
:: Link will download a 1.2mb zip file contaning -
::
:: "bushberry" - a shrub of some sort - about 2 years old , appeared in a
:: pot out of nowhere. Either blew in or dropped by bird or squirrel. I
:: want to transplant it to a bed. Is it safe to move it this time of year
:: ? It has small orange berries appearing.

We have one although I don't know what it is, blackbirds will eat the
berries in the coming weeks and months, I've found others growing in the
garden so the seeds may be spread this way, but the roots on it are huge, so
they could have been shoots (they were about ten feet away)

::
:: "Hanging" - this is a pot i have, it's the first one i have kept all
:: season - so i want to do the same again next year. Will these survive or
:: do i bin them & start again ? Also no idea what they are.
::
Petunias of some kind?...

http://snipurl.com/hxpu

:: "Yellow" - this is growing so well I want another - it's at least 3 years
:: old.
::
Red hot poker, the tops are usually red:

http://snipurl.com/hxpy

HTH
--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 25-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Phil L

Phil L wrote:
:: Brian Day wrote:
:::: Would like some help identifying plants in photos :=
::::
:::: http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...60YSBJQMIJWGZ9
::::
:::: Link will download a 1.2mb zip file contaning -
::::
:::: "bushberry" - a shrub of some sort - about 2 years old , appeared in a
:::: pot out of nowhere. Either blew in or dropped by bird or squirrel. I
:::: want to transplant it to a bed. Is it safe to move it this time of year
:::: ? It has small orange berries appearing.
::
:: We have one although I don't know what it is, blackbirds will eat the
:: berries in the coming weeks and months, I've found others growing in the
:: garden so the seeds may be spread this way, but the roots on it are
:: huge, so they could have been shoots (they were about ten feet away)
::

Cotoneaster integerrimus?

http://snipurl.com/hxq5

Old 25-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Phil L

Phil L wrote:
:: Phil L wrote:
:::: Brian Day wrote:
:::::: Would like some help identifying plants in photos :=
::::::
[...]
::That last link didn't work, try these:

http://www.devonian.ualberta.ca/2005...0FRUITS%20.jpg
http://www.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~db50...BotKA%20F1.jpg

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 25-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Brian Day

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Phil L wrote:
:: Phil L wrote:
:::: Brian Day wrote:
[...]

I would say thats a 3 out of 3 there Phil, i just snipped a piece of
"bushberry" and compared it with that link, i'm sure that is it - i will
have a closer look at the berries tomorrow. (didn't want to pick one as
there are only 2 or 3 there) One thing - will this be a 'prickly' bush as it
grows ??

In that "hanging" pic. the lower one is def. a petunia - but there is also a
tall (18") plant taking over the pot. Do you know that one pls ?

"yellow" I dont recall if they had red tips - they may have been yellow all
the way up, there is only these few short ones remaining now so i'll keep an
eye on them.
But the name does seem appropriate.

I'm far from a keen gardener, but with a little effort this year I had a few
results.

Thanks

Brian Day

Old 26-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Registered User

First shrub is a cotoneaster, cant be sure of the species from the photo, but all cotonesters are as hard as nails, so will survive the winter, and also going through the bird that dropped it!

In the tub you have a petunia at the bottom, these wont survive any frost.

Above that is an ostespermum, these open and close depending whether the sunis shining or not. In the garden I am head gardener at, in bedfordshire, these are borderline hardy, so depending where you are, if you give some protection outdoors, or move to a frost free greenhouse over winter, they will make it through to next year.

Last but not least is a kniphofia, or 'red hot poker', even though it is lemon yellow!! The variety looks like either 'Little Maid' or Toffee nosed'. Both are definately hardy, but in heavier soils, you may find the base of the plants may rot if sitting wet and cold for too long. You may find a covering of straw over the crown of the plant will prevent any water sitting .

hope this helps,
Linette

www.applegategardens.co.uk (online garden design and planting plans)
Old 26-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Brian Day

"linette" wrote in message

[...]

Superb - i'm impressed no end ! right i'm off to find some really tricky
ones :-)

Thanks all for your help,

Brian Day