Old 12-06-2011, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brick wall colour

I'm going to build a brick wall at the back and want to put climbers in
below it.

I'm thinking about what colour and texture of brick to select, that will
be good.

http://www.ibstock.com/highlights-brick-selector.asp?#

Any ideas? Thanks Rich
Old 13-06-2011, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 12, 4:25*pm, Janet wrote:
In article , says...

I'm going to build a brick wall at the back and want to put climbers in
below it.

I'm thinking about what colour and texture of brick to select, that will
be good.

* If your house/boundary walls/ near neighbours are brick or stone built
I'd choose the brick that most closely fits in or harmonises with what's
already there; because as long as the new wall is visible that's what it
will be compared with, and if old and new clash it will be an eyesore
forever.

* Don't choose bricks to go with the intended planting; that's back to
front. I'd get the brick colour right in the hard-lanscape setting, and
then choose planting to go with the bricks.

* Janet

The above is right, match the existing building.
Don't get old bricks, you need frost resistant bricks for a garden
wall. Otherwise they will just shatter with the first frost.
Lower courses should be an engineering brick and you need consider how
you will top the wall.

Your local builders merchant will show you catalogues. Best to get one
they stock & you can return excess/buy more.
Old 13-06-2011, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Richard" wrote in message
I'm going to build a brick wall at the back and want to put climbers in
below it.

I'm thinking about what colour and texture of brick to select, that will
be good.

http://www.ibstock.com/highlights-brick-selector.asp?#

Any ideas? Thanks Rich

Depending on what the other side is and what can be done as it is a
boundary, but have you thought of a rendered wall and painted? Change the
colour to suit yourself. The advantage being that you can use any old brick
or blocks.

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.