Old 12-06-2011, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Propagating manual?

I imagine like most other peeps I lost a lot of plants, especially those
in pots over the last Winter. Apart from the cost I find it take a while
before the small plugs from suppliers become worthwhile. I have decided
to propagate as many of my plants as possible this year. \I know (and
have)I can get information on the net but would like a good book on
plant propagation, so would welcome recommendations please!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jun 12, 5:38*pm, Moonraker wrote:
I imagine like most other peeps I lost a lot of plants, especially those
in pots over the last Winter. Apart from the cost I find it take a while
before the small plugs from suppliers become worthwhile. I have decided
to propagate as many of my plants as possible this year. \I know (and
have)I can get information on the net but would like a good book on
plant propagation, so would welcome recommendations please!

The best i know is "plant propagation principles and practices"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hartmann-Kes.../dp/0136792359
I don't know how technical you want but this is a Text book for the
profesional
David
Old 12-06-2011, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/2011 17:51, Dave Hill wrote:
On Jun 12, 5:38 pm, wrote:
I imagine like most other peeps I lost a lot of plants, especially those
in pots over the last Winter. Apart from the cost I find it take a while
before the small plugs from suppliers become worthwhile. I have decided
to propagate as many of my plants as possible this year. \I know (and
have)I can get information on the net but would like a good book on
plant propagation, so would welcome recommendations please!

The best i know is "plant propagation principles and practices"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hartmann-Kes.../dp/0136792359
I don't know how technical you want but this is a Text book for the
profesional

Rather less expensive but no doubt just as useful is the RHS Propagating
Plants guide.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RHS-Propagating-Plants-Alan-Toogood/dp/1405315253/

--
Phil Cook
Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/2011 17:38, Moonraker wrote:
I imagine like most other peeps I lost a lot of plants, especially those
in pots over the last Winter. Apart from the cost I find it take a while
before the small plugs from suppliers become worthwhile. I have decided
to propagate as many of my plants as possible this year. \I know (and
have)I can get information on the net but would like a good book on
plant propagation, so would welcome recommendations please!

You could have a look at "Creative Propagation" by Peter Thompson
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Pro.../dp/0881926817

--

Jeff
Old 13-06-2011, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/2011 18:52, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 12/06/2011 17:38, Moonraker wrote:
I imagine like most other peeps I lost a lot of plants, especially those
in pots over the last Winter. Apart from the cost I find it take a while
before the small plugs from suppliers become worthwhile. I have decided
to propagate as many of my plants as possible this year. \I know (and
have)I can get information on the net but would like a good book on
plant propagation, so would welcome recommendations please!

You could have a look at "Creative Propagation" by Peter Thompson
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Pro.../dp/0881926817

I hate you lot, I can just about cope with a choice of 2, but 3,
impossible. Seriously thanks for the pointers, I will see which is the
best guide for an idiot!

Old 13-06-2011, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I imagine like most other peeps I lost a lot of plants, especially those in
pots over the last Winter. Apart from the cost I find it take a while
before the small plugs from suppliers become worthwhile. I have decided to
propagate as many of my plants as possible this year. \I know (and have)I
can get information on the net but would like a good book on plant
propagation, so would welcome recommendations please!

I use the nursery stock growers manual, but that only deals with woody stuff

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 16-06-2011, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Phil Cook
writes
Rather less expensive but no doubt just as useful is the RHS
Propagating Plants guide.

I like "the complete Book of Plant Propagation" by Mitchell and Beazley.
Contributors include Mike Honour, Richard Bird, Clive Innes, Mike Salmon
and Jim Arbury

Also down to earth is the Which Guide to Successful Propagation.
--
Janet Tweedy